ICE Vehicles: General topics

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
BunnSpecial's stupid moment of the day...or month.

So, a couple of things. After the rear axle refresh, I'd noticed two sounds when driving that were driving me bonkers-especially since I'd expected the suspension work to get rid of noise! Both were coming from the left rear wheel area, and I was concerned it was something not back together right.

The first was a metallic clinking sound. It honestly had me completely stumped. I couldn't reproduce it with the car stationary, and it didn't seem speed-dependent aside, again, from only happening with the car moving.

I actually had my(mechanic's) stethoscope out yesterday hunting for it, and I have to say that's a tool that will REALLY get you some funny looks.

I'd thought MAYBE it was something in the exhaust-either the pipe just rattling around or perhaps part of the resonator in one of the mufflers letting go. That didn't make a ton of sense, but the pitch of the sound was leading me in that direction. I couldn't see much, but figured I'd put the new rear hanger on I'd bought years ago but had never installed. The rear muffler hanger is a bit of a puzzle, but I got it out and realized that I was missing one of the two straps that surrounds the exhaust pipes in the new kit. Still, though, what was there fit the pipe better, so I changed out some insulating washers and parts of the bracket.

Second, I decided to pull the brake drum and just see if something strange was going on there. That was something I hadn't checked yet. This is the RH side brake(since I'm too lazy now to hunt down the LH side-it's the same although the parts are oriented a bit differently) but shows the basic set-up

IMG_0124.jpeg

I'll point out something key in this. As brake shoes wear in drum brakes, they "resting" position of the shoes needs to be adjusted to minimize the distance the shoes need to travel to engage the drum. Brakes that are out of adjustment will still work, but may need a "pump" on the pedal to bring the shoes into contact.

Modern drum brake designs on American cars-meaning basically anything American made in like the last 70+ years-have automatic adjusters that do this every time the car is put in reverse. These have their pluses and minuses, but mostly pluses.

The British are often ones to eschew new technology in things like this, so British cars retained manual adjustment on their drum brakes for quite a long time. The adjuster can be seen at the top at about 1:00. Basically the adjuster unit has a screw that has a 1/4" square drive on one end, and a "pyramid" on the other end. There are two plungers in this assembly also-one end is slotted to engage the shoe, and the other is sloped and rides against the pyramid of the adjuster screw. The brakes are adjusted by turning the adjuster screw, which as it is tightened forces the plungers and consequently the shoes further out. The pyramid gives four distinct "clicks"(that can be felt, not heard) or "flats" as the screw is turned one full rotation. The adjustment procedure is to turn the adjuster until the drum can't be turned by hand and then back off 1-2 flats. This is a fun adventure since after doing brake work, it often takes a few drives for the shoes to "seat" correctly, and they will need to be adjusted at least once. Also, adjustment is needed frequently on new shoes unless they're also paired with anew drum(or arced to fit the old drum, which no one does anymore) as they wear to match the radius of the drum.

In any case, I'd noticed my "flats" getting floppy/indistinct and sometimes my brakes going out of adjustment, so I opted to just drop new adjuster units in. That's all good and well except a new one behaves a bit differently than an old, well worn one. For one thing, on old ones, there's usually enough grease and corrosion that the plungers don't readily come out. On new ones, they will fall out with no provocation.

In installing this one, I dropped one of the plungers and couldn't find it. I ended up putting it back together with an old one.

When I pulled the durm today, there sat the shiny new plunger in the bottom of the drum. As I found, it's easy for the plungers to fall behind the shoes, and I suppose this is where it was.

The second noise still has me scratching my head. Basically it's a "slapping" sound not unlike a flat tire. I noticed its frequency was speed-dependent, and also I seemed to only notice it slowing down.

I asked on the MG forum, and the first answer said "Just a guess, but took at the emergency brake lever." By "lever" they meant the lever that sticks out of the brake backing plate. The e-brake cable pulls on this to apply the brake.

Basically, the suggestion was to see if the sound got better or went away if I pulled gently on the brake lever(the one in the cockpit). Sure enough, it did.

That's where I stop, though. I can pretty clearly see that the clearance between the lever and the wheel is tight. There's a scrape mark on the inside of the rim to show for this.

IMG_0217.jpeg

There's a couple of things going on here. One is that I lost the original clevis pin attaching the brake cable somewhere in all of this work, so I grabbed a generic trim-to-length one at the HW store. I may not have trimmed it enough, although I tried to do it in-situ with a die grinder today.

Otherwise, I'm just lost. While I was back there with the grinder, I chamfered several other areas, but still didn't fix the problem. I'll probably try painting it tomorrow to see if I can figure out where it's rubbing, but that's it. I'm still wondering if the issue is the clevis pin, but I'm not 100% positive.

As a side note, too, I bought my first compressor a few months ago, and it's one of the best things I've done for my garage. Air tools are great-they are so much less expensive and lighter than their electric equivalent, and often are more powerful than all but the biggest commercial grade ones. The die grinder I'm using was a $10 Harbor Freight special. Actual good quality ones are $50-100, but still a cheap consumer corded or cordless die grinder is that same price, and pro grade units are 2-3x that. Of course the downside(or maybe upside since my neighbors are beyond obnoxious) is that a pneumatic die grinder sounds vaguely like a dental drill.

Unfortunately, I WAY underspecced my compressor, so a better compressor is on my shopping list. I'm weighing two options. The one at the top of the list was a nice traditional cast iron 27 gallon unit from HF, but for a bit more Home Depot has a 30 gallon unit that looks somewhat better. Both are more traditional belt driven, oil lubed compressors. The cast iron tank of the HF should hopefully mean lower air temps, which is a big deal since I've found that water is a big problem in my small unit. At the same time, the HD unit is really appealing because it has a higher CFM rating(6.2 vs. 5.8 at 90psi). The HD Husky I'm comparing also runs at a 175 psi tank pressure vs. 150psi for the HF unit. Tank pressure goes both ways, since higher pressures give you more air capacity in a given tank size, but also raise air temperatures(so again water is an issue since the temperature drop will be more dramatic once the pressure is regulated down). The HD unit, though, above all is a lot quieter-77db(which is almost eerily quiet for a compressor) vs. 85db. I thin the Husky unit is winning.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I hear you, but I am quite used to having the speedo right in the middle, kind of like this

Having said that, I do have waze on the side and I do regularly glance to the side to see my "real" GPS speed and the current speed limit and for the rozzers hiding in the bushes, so I take your point onboard.

To be bluntly honest, I am just making excuses, because I have fallen in love with the upcoming latest version of the Hyundai Ioniq

Is that your Merc? Nice.

The Ioniq looks like a winner, I mean, Hyundai/Kia have just been killing it with their recent ICE offerings, not shocked, at their progressive movement into the EV space (and likely success).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Just picked up a new Mega Truck. This one has a Black Intimidation Grill instead of a Chrome Intimidation Grill.

2021 F-250 Lariat 6.7. This is my third one in a row (6th overall with a couple of F-150's in the mix) but this is by far the best of them. That could change, but the last one I put 109K on without any major issues.

1625766116917.png

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Nah, that is a lazy google image search, since I don't appear to have any interior photos with the cars on and on the right screen. Also I cannot take photos as nice as that.

Both my Mercs have the old school analogue dials with the middle digital bit. The middle bit can show info like current speed, gear, shift lights etc and I really like that.

I was super chuffed here about how nicely I restored the alcantara, but unfortunately the display is off.

View attachment 6816

Which model? My daughter has a GLA 250 and was wanting a GLC but she doesn't really like the new ones where the dash and the center screen are the just one long screen.

Trying to sell my mom's '11 E550 AMG (Aero only). It only has 45K on it and the wife and I put most of them using it for trips. I just don't like driving cars. Too low to the ground.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just picked up a new Mega Truck. This one has a Black Intimidation Grill instead of a Chrome Intimidation Grill.

2021 F-250 Lariat 6.7. This is my third one in a row (6th overall with a couple of F-150's in the mix) but this is by far the best of them. That could change, but the last one I put 109K on without any major issues.

View attachment 6821

Herd! Welcome!

Now fuck off.

:D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Nah, that is a lazy google image search, since I don't appear to have any interior photos with the cars on and on the right screen. Also I cannot take photos as nice as that.

Both my Mercs have the old school analogue dials with the middle digital bit. The middle bit can show info like current speed, gear, shift lights etc and I really like that.
I was super chuffed here about how nicely I restored the alcantara, but unfortunately the display is off.

It's so funny, I ran down to the store after you posted that, and I came back and looked and I'm like OMG THERE ARE SO MANY DIALS AND SWITCHES hahahaha :D

U

User.45

That is my wife's runabout - 2018 GLA 45. The new model released in 2020 brought the all digital long screen.

Below is my 2019 GLC 63S. The 2020 refresh model production started in July 2019. I got mine in August 2019 and it was one of the last pre-facelifts. I got it because I wanted the analogue dials and it is noisier than the facelift version.

View attachment 6830

The refreshed GLC has an all digital dashboard, but it is still 2 pieces, like this

View attachment 6831

I think the Merc digital dials are quite nice actually, as far as digital dials go, but I still prefer the "old school cool" of the analogue dials.
To me this is neutral, but as long as the volume and the AC are physical buttons/dials.

U

User.45

The buttons themselves need a separate discussion. I am not a fan of hiding every day functionality such as heated / cooled seats, climate control, volume and the ability to open my damn glovebox in some convoluted menus. I want physical buttons for such functions. Touchscreens are not great for things like changing the temperature whilst driving and I have no intentions to talk to my car, since reaching for a button and tapping it down twice is quick and easy and requires basic muscle memory. It is also quicker than having a debate with my car about what temperature I want. Everything else can go into the screen thingie. There is a balance between feeling like you are operating a plane and a Tesla.
Honestly, Teslas console design has been a giant turn-off for me. Like I know they designed the car for voice control, but the fact that it took AFAIK more than a year to come up with the actual feature is baffling. Honda stumbled with this too on their infotainments.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was 1000% (three zeros ...) in that same mindset with the "physical controls" concern, and it's just not happening with me after experiencing it first hand. In fact, I rarely touch the AC controls, other than a remote "pre-cool" before coming back to it the other day :D But the movement to access, control, it's seamless, the UX isn't any more complex than the partially display supported climate controls in the Sync 3 based, or uConnect based systems I owned.

There's two physical controls on the steering wheel, both can be pushed, there's a dial, and they also toggle left/right, like a wheel on a mouse. There's talk about user assigned wheel controls for the next major release.

V11 software looks like it's going to be killer too, I've got a V3.0 FSD computer, so I'm all ready with hardware.

The vehicle is just a stunningly different experience in all the best possible ways. The car is plenty terrific looking, comfy, tech loaded (and then some), and while it might be a little deficient with a few things like cooled seats, everything else so differently better, it's kind of hard to describe. It's not just the obvious metrics like performance - it's the whole concept, including things like no more gas stations and always being "fueled", how seamlessly it just works, no starts / no stops, no need for brakes - it just reboots your whole head. :D

i.e., I don't get in and think about the presence / or absence / of controls for things like the AC.

Last edited:
U

User.45

I was 1000% (three zeros ...) in that same mindset with the "physical controls" concern, and it's just not happening with me after experiencing it first hand. In fact, I rarely touch the AC controls, other than a remote "pre-cool" before coming back to it the other day :D But the movement to access, control, it's seamless, the UX isn't any more complex than the partially display supported climate controls in the Sync 3 based, or uConnect based systems I owned.

There's two physical controls on the steering wheel, both can be pushed, there's a dial, and they also toggle left/right, like a wheel on a mouse. There's talk about user assigned wheel controls for the next major release.

V11 software looks like it's going to be killer too, I've got a V3.0 FSD computer, so I'm all ready with hardware.

The vehicle is just a stunningly different experience in all the best possible ways. The car is plenty terrific looking, comfy, tech loaded (and then some), and while it might be a little deficient with a few things like cooled seats, everything else so differently better, it's kind of hard to describe. It's not just the obvious metrics like performance - it's the whole concept, including things like no more gas stations and always being "fueled", how seamlessly it just works, no starts / no stops, no need for brakes - it just reboots your whole head. :D

i.e., I don't get in and think about the presence / or absence / of controls for things like the AC.
When I got our BMW i3 my neuroscience friends asked me how it felt. I told them it's saltatory* driving. It's the most personal cybernetic experience I've had in my life because the one-pedal driving eliminated second thoughts. I think about going and the car flies. Virtually no delay just thought coupled with action. The care really integrates with your mind that is in full control (hence it's per definition cybernetic).

(Saltatory conduction (from the Latin saltare, to hop or leap) is the propagation of action potentials along myelinated axonsfrom one node of Ranvier to the next node, increasing the conduction velocity of action potentials.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
re: Tesla insurance

Mine went down ~$50 every 6-months from the Mustang, it's right around the same as it always is, for every car/SUV we've owned in the last couple of decades, right around $70-72/month (and that's pretty stout coverage).

U

User.45

re: Tesla insurance

Mine went down ~$50 every 6-months from the Mustang, it's right around the same as it always is, for every car/SUV we've owned in the last couple of decades, right around $70-72/month (and that's pretty stout coverage).
But this already includes the discount for the other cars, right? I pay $80/mo pristine record and single car..and it's the cheapest option in the state...

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The buttons themselves need a separate discussion. I am not a fan of hiding every day functionality such as heated / cooled seats, climate control, volume and the ability to open my damn glovebox in some convoluted menus. I want physical buttons for such functions.

You like the smaller cars with the BIG motors. :D It looks like the new GLA is bigger than the previous model. My dream vehicle is a full size "G". Wife thinks they are ugly.

Agree with you on the buttons. My mom had to drop from an "S" back to an "E" because she couldn't work the menus.

My truck gives you options for the AC and radio. You can use the hard buttons on the dash (or steering wheel for radio) or all those functions are also available via touchscreen.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
But this already includes the discount for the other cars, right? I pay $80/mo pristine record and single car..and it's the cheapest option in the state...

Yeah, multi-car, multi-stuff discount (home, cars). I guess my post was in response to a discussion about insurance - specifically on Teslas (generally on EVs) - ours more or less didn't change from the previous cars / no EV specific rate hike. Heck, would think with the near perfect IIHS scores it wouldn't but you never know, insurance is a mystery ...

I've actually done some speculative pricing (on cars I didn't wind up buying) and even a Porsche and a Viper were within $25/month or so vs. anything else.

Top Bottom
1 2