ICE Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Plugged in the Grizzl-E with the J1772_to_Tesla adapter, fired right up, topped it off after arriving home.

I did have an issue where the Grizzl-E would start at 40a, then drop to 32a, still a decent 29 miles/hour, but I wound up connecting to their portal, flashing new firmware, fixed it right up. At 40a, it bounces around 35-36 miles/hour.

It's on a dedicated 50a circuit, so at 40a max, it's the suggested 20% under the circuit rating.

I'm going to set my max charge to like 90%, they say to stay between 80-90 unless you're specifically looking to do a long trip.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I did have an issue where the Grizzl-E would start at 40a, then drop to 32a, still a decent 29 miles/hour, but I wound up connecting to their portal, flashing new firmware, fixed it right up. At 40a, it bounces around 35-36 miles/hour.

It's on a dedicated 50a circuit, so at 40a max, it's the suggested 20% under the circuit rating.

I'm going to set my max charge to like 90%, they say to stay between 80-90 unless you're specifically looking to do a long trip.

I initially charged up to 80% max. Though given my daily commute, I am thinking of dropping it down to 60% since batteries are happiest at around the 50% mark in terms of longevity. Though will occasionally do 80% to 30% runs to make sure the BMS is happy being calibrated as well.

Tesla Mobile Tech just came out to fix the seat issue and installed the Homelink device. Couldn't have been easier!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's good to know your mobile support experience was positive, I mean, I'd rather avoid service, but if it has to happen, that's a nice option.

Hahaha, I had to chuckle when I realized one the more technologically sophisticated vehicles available, does not come with Homelink standard ...

"So this car can drive itself through complex traffic, avoid crashes ..."

"Can it open your garage?"

😐

My solution: we had a couple of, more or less unused except for programming cars, garage remotes. They're small, so I removed the clip and used some 3M to stick in inside the driver's door storage, totally hidden, easy to reach. I still plan on some automation for the whole house / garage, so I figured I'd spend the extra money there.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
That's good to know your mobile support experience was positive, I mean, I'd rather avoid service, but if it has to happen, that's a nice option.

Hahaha, I had to chuckle when I realized one the more technologically sophisticated vehicles available, does not come with Homelink standard ...

"So this car can drive itself through complex traffic, avoid crashes ..."

"Can it open your garage?"

😐

My solution: we had a couple of, more or less unused except for programming cars, garage remotes. They're small, so I removed the clip and used some 3M to stick in inside the driver's door storage, totally hidden, easy to reach. I still plan on some automation for the whole house / garage, so I figured I'd spend the extra money there.

it used to be standard, but think they made it optional in 2019 or so because “the data showed not a lot of people used it” according to Elon. What’s nice though is that I can open the garage door through the app on my phone. Which is fairly nice.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
First wash of the Tesla. Overall enjoy the new equipment to wash it. But discovered the first chip. Not sure if it came like that at delivery and didn’t spot it, happened on the road, or I got too close with the pressure washer( though I made sure to keep it at a good distance from the car). Oh well. Knew going into it Tesla paint was crap.

EDIT: I took a closer look at it, it must have been chipped either upon delivery and I didn't notice it or in the 20 miles I drove it before dropping it off at the PPF/Ceramic installer. The chip is underneath the Xpel film.

FCA394CB-B4C7-4B7A-A65E-BC46070D9DE1.jpeg
29A52EE5-0309-48D8-9275-2FFAA9FE5DFA.jpeg
DB5D847A-9CDE-4C11-8E9B-892BD7C20B06.jpeg

Last edited:
U

User.191

My 2001 Silverado is still doing reasonably well.

It's going to get some major TLC this year though with body work fixes (not much, but fixing some small scrapes and scratches), replacement tires, driveshaft and shocks and a replacement Entertainment system (I've had an aftermarket JVC GPS unit in with external amp and a sub since 2008).

I brought it brand new and fully decked out when I first came to the US (brother in law worked at the dealer and he personally did the extra external body mods such as the boards and bull bar) and it's only got about 110K on the speedo...

U

User.191

The location suggests that somebody made a booboo when installing the doors
My understanding from reading about build quality is that Tela's, whilst technologically impressive, may be somewhat lacking in the fit and finish department.

This does nothing to assuage my opinion!

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
The location suggests that somebody made a booboo when installing the doors

Yeah most likely as it would be hard for a rock to get in that location to chip it that badly. Oh well.... At least it is in a location that is not easily noticeable( hence me missing it upon inspecting the vehicle upon delivery) and is protected from corrosion, etc since it is underneath the Xpel film.

Still love the car and even if I did notice it, would not have rejected it either way.

Also, why must it always be the passenger side! Upon all the videos of deliveries on youtube and posts on TMC and reddit, if there are any issues it is the passenger side of either the Model 3 or Model Y! Whether it is door misalignment or my paint chip. Seems like the passenger side is not given the same attention as the driver side.

Last edited:

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
It does not look like it’s gone through the primer, so no worries about corrosion. If you were willing to replace that bit of film, it looks super straight forward to touch up. You need to sand the sharp edges down a bit first and it would not even be noticeable from a typical viewing distance, especially with ppf over it.

It's not in a spot that for me will make it worth it to go through that effort. If it was in a more obvious spot that I would see often, I would probably look into it.

Like you, I knew what to expect with a Tesla and set my expectations accordingly. The more I am around the vehicle, I am seeing more things I didn't spot upon delivery. My fault since the delivery day excitement got to me so despite bringing a checklist to try to keep me on track, I ended up saying screw it after I didn't find anything major in my 20 minute inspection and didn't want to be that guy with a measuring tool measuring panel gaps pretending to be Sandy Munro. :D Once I looked at the big areas of misalignment( frunk, doors, and trunk) which were all fine, didn't see any major damage to the vehicle, no signs of underpainted areas, etc I decided to accept it.

I think I talked about a portion of the headliner where sections don't line up quite right and one section maybe is 2-3mm lower than the other where they meet which I have decided to live with, the broken seat trim( since fixed), now discovered the paint chip, and also just spotted the rear bumper on the passenger side( the passenger side issues strike again!) doesn't quite align up well with the rear fender which like the headliner I am going to live with as it doesn't look that bad or noticeable unless you're literally viewing it head on. That is the build quality status on my Model 3. Frankly issues I would rather have than what I saw with my Camaro( and I am not trashing my Camaro, I still loved it).

The Camaro had the whole headliner coming undone by the rear window that despite getting fixed once, occurred again and decided to live with despite being easily noticeable. In the heat, the rear fenders would expand outward by 5 mm or so( would go back flush with the body in cooler temps). I started to get the famous A8 shudder which I immediately went in to perform the TSB before damage to the torque converter occurred. I also had the famous rear diff groan in colder temps on the first few left turns. It first started out only occurring when the temps dipped below 60 degrees. But it eventually progressed to high 60's. Had it changed per TSB at the same time as the A8 shudder visit. Made it better, but not fully eliminated it. Granted these are issues I found during my ownership of the Camaro and we will see if I get any issues with my Model 3, but if the initial issues I discovered with the Tesla are the only ones that pop up( outside of wear and tear items), then I will be happy.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The main reason why I have not got a Tesla model 3 is because the lack of a centre dashboard is a step too far for me. I don’t want to look sideways to see basic info, like current speed.

I can tell you - and I'm saying this as someone who was critical of this design choice when I first saw it - it's zero issue for me.

Seriously, I got used to it in the 30 minute drive home, it's more conceptually problematic than it is in actual use. I'm a (as you probably know), a big car enthusiast, I've driven/owned quite a few different vehicles, done 60+ road track events, I'm kind of into the whole driving experience, and if this was problematic, I'd be as sensitive to it as anyone.

Here's the thing:

The speedo is at the top-left corner, it's almost in your field of view while looking directly forward, and in fact, comparing it to my other cars, I'd say it creates no additional "distraction" to check than a low mounted, dash speedo. You don't have to look down, it's just very slightly to the right, at eye level. You can also set a visual and/or audio queue to indicate excess speed, it can be fixed, or a percentage, so you find yourself not "checking in" as much.

Also, and this is kind of a big deal, the speed indicator is not impeded by the steering wheel position, or you hands on the wheel (in any location, top, 10-2, 9-3), I liked to position my wheel lower-ish, that almost almost cut off the speedo/tach. I find myself in the jeep doing the "lift and look under" because I drive with my hand on top of the wheel.

With a car that has no need for a tach, no need for a gear (as in 1-2-3 ...) indicator, you don't need much more "real time" instrumentation, everything else are the functions you're probably using a lower/center mounted UI or physical controls for in any vehicle (ex: audio/music, HVAC, etc.)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
EDIT: I took a closer look at it, it must have been chipped either upon delivery and I didn't notice it or in the 20 miles I drove it before dropping it off at the PPF/Ceramic installer. The chip is underneath the Xpel film.

Doh!

Yeah, it's pretty hidden, you don't have to see it with normal use (you'll probably only see it when you wash it). It would be easy to touch up a bit if it bothers you.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, we zipped up to the local Supercharger (~11 miles), just for fun, wanted to see how it worked ... umm, you plug in the car, that's how it works :D

Stabilized at 254 miles / hour, I believe that was ~65kW, sat for about 12-13 minutes or so, picked up about 40-45 miles, $0.00 actually charged since we have 1000 free Supercharger miles.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This makes me chuckle (from my Apple Watch):

IMG_7953.png

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have yet to name my Model 3....... Need to come up with a name. Just thinking quickly for something appropriate for a computer on wheels would be Haro.... I am a fan of the Gundam series and it is a robotic AI pet/assistant( depending on the series) which sort of fits along the lines of what a Tesla is.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have yet to name my Model 3....... Need to come up with a name. Just thinking quickly for something appropriate for a computer on wheels would be Haro.... I am a fan of the Gundam series and it is a robotic AI pet/assistant( depending on the series) which sort of fits along the lines of what a Tesla is.

It's silly but fun. I suppose if you had multiple cars sending you notifications, it would be helpful.

I almost used Discovery One (from 2001), but looked at my avatar and thought ... oh yeah ... :D

Top Bottom
1 2