Indictment

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think some of you need to prepare yourselves that Trump may not spend a day in prison over this.

My desire isn't necessarily to see him behind bars. What I'd like to see is for him to be treated the same way you or I would be treated. If he's found guilty of the things he's been accused of, and if prison is the appropriate punishment for those crimes, then yes, he should be behind bars. If the appropriate punishment isn't prison, I'm fine with that too. I'm more interested in his facing the music just as any other citizen would. He shouldn't get special treatment letting him off easy, nor should he get special treatment that unfairly harms his defense. Just treat him like a regular Joe and we'll be just fine. At least I'll be just fine.

Surely you can't oppose a fair trial that will bring the truth to light and dole out the punishment appropriately?

There's no need to drag other names into this. He should stand trial and be judged fairly by a jury of his peers. It really doesn't matter who else did what. That's not how things work.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Surely you can't oppose a fair trial that will bring the truth to light and dole out the punishment appropriately?

Not at all.

There's no need to drag other names into this. He should stand trial and be judged fairly by a jury of his peers. It really doesn't matter who else did what. That's not how things work.

We can disagree here. John Edwards did the same thing and wasn't even charged. And I wonder if Cohen would have been charged on this alone. Trump should not be charged solely because he is Trump and the DA hates him.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
We can disagree here. John Edwards did the same thing and wasn't even charged. And I wonder if Cohen would have been charged on this alone. Trump should not be charged solely because he is Trump and the DA hates him.
I agree. Nor should be not be charged solely because he is Trump and he hates the DA.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I'm fine disagreeing. We can't have a system where one side points out who got away with similar crimes while the other side points out who was guilty of similar crimes.

Just because one person gets off easy, or gets a super harsh sentence, doesn't mean we toss out the laws for the next person. It's like swimming. If you have a bad day, you don't throw out the whole season. You do your best each and every time you get in the water.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
No they shouldn't. Not in the case of Cohen/Trump or my hypothetical.

Cohen's case included tax evasion that had zero to do with Trump. So why should their sentences be the same?

I think some of you need to prepare yourselves that Trump may not spend a day in prison over this.

Trump’s charges are different too - 34 state felonies - if you want to go down that road. You seem to have brought up sentences, but the initial discussion is on veracity of the charges.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I agree. Nor should be not be charged solely because he is Trump and he hates the DA.

Yes. But when trump intentionally dog whistles and stirs up the crazies in his base knowing that will result in threats to the DA and his family, putting them in harm's way, there should be legal consequences for that behavior.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
If history is anything to go off of, Trump will rack up a few more state and federal charges before anything even gets to indictment and/or trial.

For anyone thinking he’s a victim, he’s been long under various investigations. Did he think his businesses would be less scrutinized if he ran for president, let alone won? And did he curb any of his dubious behavior? Nope. And to top it all off, he brags and lies all the time, so he looks like a hypocrite. Nobody knows more about races than him. He’s a great businessman, the best. He only hires the best people. Nobody knows the law like he does. Only guilty people settle. Only guilty people plead the fifth. Anyone under federal investigation is unfit to serve. On and on. Yet, it’s always different when it’s him, even though those were all his own words about the situation of others.

I can’t believe people keep feeding this man’s ego.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yes. But when trump intentionally dog whistles and stirs up the crazies in his base knowing that will result in threats to the DA and his family, putting them in harm's way, there should be legal consequences for that behavior.

So similar to the left riling people up to go protest in front of the SCOTUS justice's homes over the abortion ruling? Which actually is illegal, but no consequences there either.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So similar to the left riling people up to go protest in front of the SCOTUS justice's homes over the abortion ruling? Which actually is illegal, but no consequences there either.

Whataboutism?

Individual protest (not inspired by a dog whistling politician) vs. a past United States President, under indictment and a criminal defendant, stirring the crazied up knowing that will result in threats and potential harm to the DA and his family, with the objective of escaping justice and again run for President.

I'd say there's quite a difference there.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
He is not actually in danger of not being able to run again. Even a felony conviction does not prevent a person from gaining the WH.

True. Though I suspect a convicted felon running for president from within a prison cell would diminish his chances of winning the election. :) I guess the inauguration could be held at Rikers if he did win. :)

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

That's not illegal, so long as they stay on the street.

SCOTUS did say it was protestor's 1st Amendment right to picket abortion doctors and nurses at their homes. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No they shouldn't. Not in the case of Cohen/Trump or my hypothetical.

Cohen's case included tax evasion that had zero to do with Trump. So why should their sentences be the same?

You’re still trying to lump all the charges together, while I was only speaking of the single charge they share.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
You’re still trying to lump all the charges together, while I was only speaking of the single charge they share.

And what neither of us, or anyone else on here, knows is how much of Cohen's sentence was attributable to the tax evasion vs election law violations. It is possible that without the tax evasion, he might not have ever gone to jail.

And I am not trying to lump them together. Just the opposite in fact.

Top Bottom
1 2