iPhone 15 pre-orders

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Status changed to "preparing to ship" already. I won't expect it early but if it comes by the 22nd I'll be happy, that's also the date my new watch is expected to arrive even though I ordered earlier in the week.

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score
Over at MR some people are saying the black iPhone 15 is DLC (diamond-like carbon), others are saying that it's a PVD (physical vapor deposition) coating, and still others are saying that the whole lineup uses PVD. However, DLC is usually produced by a PVD process (and a PVD coating could be practically any material), so the question remains-- has Apple said it was DLC or something else in particular?

I would actually prefer a titanium carbide or titanium carbonitride surface, which would make a lot more sense to me given the base metal. But either way, I'm curious.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Status changed to "preparing to ship" already. I won't expect it early but if it comes by the 22nd I'll be happy, that's also the date my new watch is expected to arrive even though I ordered earlier in the week.
Since mine is being sent to an Apple Store, there’s only a Processing step between Order placed and Ready for Pickup. I used to have fun tracking my purchases from China through multiple airports to me, but I can’t do it this time. My inner conspiracy theorist says that’s intentional on Apple’s part because they don’t want people to know when a bunch of new iPhones will arrive at a particular store. LOL.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the problem is caused by Apple having to connect to the carriers' servers.
Interesting question.
Good question. I tend to think not unless you abuse your iPhone. But I just ordered a Spigen case (Core Armor, same that I have now, but with MagSafe). They have an ongoing promotion that includes a free screen protector, so I took advantage of that.
I had already decided that this round I was getting a LifeProof so I don’t have to worry about it in/around the pool. It will be here well before the phone, and that will be a first for me. LOL

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score
I had already decided that this round I was getting a LifeProof so I don’t have to worry about it in/around the pool. It will be here well before the phone, and that will be a first for me. LOL
Not sure how deep your pool is, but this year’s iPhones are rated IP68 water resistant to 6 meters (19.6 ft) for 30 minutes 🙂

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Over at MR some people are saying the black iPhone 15 is DLC (diamond-like carbon), others are saying that it's a PVD (physical vapor deposition) coating, and still others are saying that the whole lineup uses PVD. However, DLC is usually produced by a PVD process (and a PVD coating could be practically any material), so the question remains-- has Apple said it was DLC or something else in particular?

I would actually prefer a titanium carbide or titanium carbonitride surface, which would make a lot more sense to me given the base metal. But either way, I'm curious.
Here's the transcript from the keynote:

Titanium also introduces a new refined brush texture, enabled by a unique, multi-step process
58:10
that includes precision machining, sanding, brushing, and blasting. And while anodizing is commonly used on titanium,
58:18
we chose to use a PVD coating as added protection while introducing color.
58:24
These Apple-designed coatings are engineered with nanometer precision, and take up to 14 hours to complete,
58:31
resulting in four gorgeous finishes: Black Titanium and White Titanium beautifully harmonize with the back glass,
58:39
Blue Titanium highlights the material's elegance, and Natural Titanium celebrates its raw metallic nature.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Hearing bad things about the Fine Woven case that I had already purchased with my order, so I just added the silicon case as that's what I'm used to. It does wear and peel after a while but is otherwise a great case.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
so I just added the silicon case as that's what I'm used to. It does wear and peel after a while but is otherwise a great case.

I love the silicone case and its grippiness. As I always keep my phone in my shirt pocket, I never have to worry about it falling out when I pick something off the floor/sidewalk.

Also... it gives me an extra second or two to react if someone tries to jack it out of my pocket and run off with it. I've seen that happen a few times in downtown SF. It doesn't come out unless you pull it straight up - the slightest angle and it stays in.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Tell us more?
Sure, I'll add a couple of links but the biggest thing for me is that I think I would miss the feel and grip of silicon.

Here is a well thought out review without any bias as well. Maybe not a bad case but I don't think it will work for me.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I’m not sure how polyester, a known source of microplastics in our environment, is supposed to be more sustainable. It just seems like trading one devil for another.

But I’ll take a look at the cases when I pick mine up next Friday. I might go caseless again.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sure, I'll add a couple of links but the biggest thing for me is that I think I would miss the feel and grip of silicon.

Here is a well thought out review without any bias as well. Maybe not a bad case but I don't think it will work for me.

Thanks! Yeah, that’s why I wanted to have a look at them in person before choosing one.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks! Yeah, that’s why I wanted to have a look at them in person before choosing one.
Agreed, it may actually be nice but I'll never know without feeling it. Silicon is one I know and trust so I'll just get both and keep the other for backup.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Agreed, it may actually be nice but I'll never know without feeling it. Silicon is one I know and trust so I'll just get both and keep the other for backup.
I’ve had a bunch of cases since the original iPhone - leather, silicone, TPU, other plastics. As Citysnaps noted, silicone cases tend to grip fabric, so they’re less likely to slip - or be easily removed- from pockets. But I’ve been happy with the TPU case for my current iPhone, so I’m sticking with it. Fortunately, basic cases are relatively cheap, so not a big deal if I change my mind later.

mack

Reaction score
I’m holding off until I can handle the Pro Max in store (coming from a 12 Pro), but I was thinking of doing the same thing payment wise. Is there any reason not to vs. pay in full now? I couldn’t think of one, and I’ve been burned by in store zero apr offers (with crazy fine print) before. Apple Card payments have always been super smooth and reasonable for me.

The only reason I usually pay in full is because American Express gives you an extra year warranty (and a few months of loss/theft protection) only if the full balance is paid on the card. But if you're going to get AppleCare+ monthly then it doesn't really make as much of a difference

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I got good news this morning. My new iPhone has shipped and will arrive next week.
So ahead of schedule then, right? Congrats! Mine is slated to arrive tomorrow and I've already gotten my 2 cases.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I got good news this morning. My new iPhone has shipped and will arrive next week.
Good to hear given the issues you had when pre-ordering! I just got my case (and free screen protector) today. Hopefully, I'll be putting it on my new iPhone around this time tomorrow after picking it up at the Apple Store.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I still have PTSD from the pre-order days of the first 3 or 4 generations of the iPhone and iPad. There were even some times in there where I was “I’ll pass on this one” but still there I was at the zero hour madly hitting the refresh button and experiencing site glitches like I was in love from the second I saw the announcement. I’m glad I’ve moved on to a “when I need to replace it” mentality that is no way synced to release schedules.

Top Bottom
1 2