iPhone Always On Display

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wondering how many here are using this feature on the newer models. Seeing a lot of negative feedback over at MR about it killing battery life, I’ve only been using it the last couple of days but seems normal to me so far. 🤷‍♂️

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wondering how many here are using this feature on the newer models. Seeing a lot of negative feedback over at MR about it killing battery life, I’ve only been using it the last couple of days but seems normal to me so far. 🤷‍♂️
I’ve been using it for a year. My battery life seems fine. The screen turns off opportunistically even when the feature is enabled, anyway (like if the phone is in your pocket, or if it detects you’ve probably gone to sleep, etc.)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’ve been using it for a year. My battery life seems fine. The screen turns off opportunistically even when the feature is enabled, anyway (like if the phone is in your pocket, or if it detects you’ve probably gone to sleep, etc.)
I was wondering how it handled being in pocket or face down, that's good to know. So far I am really liking this feature, just glancing to see what's going on without even picking it up is really handy, it's become one of my favorite features.

mack

Reaction score
I turned it off on my 14 because it seems like pulling out the phone and turning on the camera took longer and was more frustrating with the always on display enabled. Never quite figured out why it was faster with the display off, but it is! Since the 15 has the action button for opening the camera, it seems like there's less reason to turn it off. Didn't seem to have much battery life hit, and I would have left it on if not for the camera issue (and did leave it on for about a month before I realized that was why the camera seemed slower on the 14 than the 12).

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I turned it off on my 14 because it seems like pulling out the phone and turning on the camera took longer and was more frustrating with the always on display enabled. Never quite figured out why it was faster with the display off, but it is! Since the 15 has the action button for opening the camera, it seems like there's less reason to turn it off. Didn't seem to have much battery life hit, and I would have left it on if not for the camera issue (and did leave it on for about a month before I realized that was why the camera seemed slower on the 14 than the 12).

Doesn’t take me any longer, but if when you pick it up the screen is still dim, then you have to remember to tap once to take it out of “sleep” before you try and hit the on-screen button or swipe left.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Doesn’t take me any longer, but if when you pick it up the screen is still dim, then you have to remember to tap once to take it out of “sleep” before you try and hit the on-screen button or swipe left.
All I have to do is raise mine to wake it up (take it out of dim mode) and see everything on the lock screen but still have to tap to get to the home screen.

I guess I'm not seeing the issue with the camera, seems like either way you have to wake it.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I use it. My son uses it. My daughter and husband have theirs turned off. Come back in four years to see how we are all doing with battery life. 😉

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I keep it on, but without the Lock Screen picture. If my phone is in front of me I can see the time and date without looking at my watch.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Totally valid, how many different ways to notify us within your personal space do we need?
I usually put my phone on the table at meetings, so it’s easy to glance down to see the time. Lifting or turning my arm to look at my watch is more obvious. Hey, don’t knock it - it may have cost George HW Bush an election. 😀

mack

Reaction score
All I have to do is raise mine to wake it up (take it out of dim mode) and see everything on the lock screen but still have to tap to get to the home screen.

I guess I'm not seeing the issue with the camera, seems like either way you have to wake it.

In theory either way you'd have to wake it, but for whatever reason the waking takes a few extra seconds with the always on display enabled than disabled. This is obviously a small issue and generally doesn't matter, but if I'm running for example it's the difference between having to stop to take a photo and not having to stop to take a photo. Which was enough of an issue I had it disabled! There's of course also a chance this was fixed in software but I don't think I ever gave it another chance.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The screen turns off opportunistically even when the feature is enabled, anyway (like if the phone is in your pocket, or if it detects you’ve probably gone to sleep, etc.)

Do you know if there is any way to force it to stay on while charging?

I have a slanted wireless charger on my nightstand that I put my phone on to charge at night. And I use a Clock app to display what looks like an alarm clock. So I was able to remove my actual alarm clock. Downside is the app is $8.95/yr for the ad free version. Not that it is a lot of money, but if I could use the native one, I would.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Do you know if there is any way to force it to stay on while charging?

I have a slanted wireless charger on my nightstand that I put my phone on to charge at night. And I use a Clock app to display what looks like an alarm clock. So I was able to remove my actual alarm clock. Downside is the app is $8.95/yr for the ad free version. Not that it is a lot of money, but if I could use the native one, I would.
I also keep my iPhone (15 Pro Max) on a charging stand next to my bed at night. I have StandBy set to turn the display off after 20 seconds because I only want to see the time if I put my hand near the phone, but it can be set to never turn off. I also have it set to use Night Mode, which changes the display to dim red in the dark.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
For some reason mine shuts off in the evening (not sure of exact time and not plugged in) and I can't figure out how to resolve it, seems like a lot of other people have the same problem.

Top Bottom
1 2