It’s The End Of The World As We Know It

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
And I’ve countered this before, but perhaps phrasing it from another angle: I think we should be cognizant that human civilization and the human species are two distinct things.

Civilization will fall well before the species does. And with something like climate change, our footprint would drastically reduce in that scenario. Ironically, buckling under the weight of a crisis sooner would give us better odds as a species, but at the cost of much more suffering.

The main difference here compared to nuclear winter, a super volcano or a meteor strike, is that we are still part of the cycle. In a nuclear conflict, once the damage is done, it doesn’t matter what we do. But here, we still have a role to play. A collapse that reverts us to a more agrarian age is materially not that different from drastically reducing our carbon footprint via new tech.
I like this and I agree with you.We are headed for a fall, the Earth will be trashed as we know it, humans may continue to exist knocked back to the 5th century, in a agrarian age, the Earth may bounce back, some technological knowledge will remain, so there is potential for a quicker bounce back, but we will have not navigated ourselves though the great filter as described, and the $64 question is will we learn from our mistakes, will we even remember?🤔

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I like this and I agree with you.We are headed for a fall, the Earth will be trashed as we know it, humans may continue to exist knocked back to the 5th century, in a agrarian age, the Earth may bounce back, some technological knowledge will remain, so there is potential for a quicker bounce back, but we will have not navigated ourselves though the great filter as described, and the $64 question is will we learn from our mistakes, will we even remember?🤔
Some of it may already be here, at least for the US Civilization. I seem to recall that the first sign that an empire is in trouble is failures in infrastructure. We all know about the state of the bridges in this country, but I have had one bridge failure in my community and I am SMH at the lack of rebuilding.

This bridge is one of three across the tracks in a heavy traffic area and was shutdown due to imminent failure. I remember driving over it a couple of days before it was closed and it shook pretty bad (more so than usual), so much so that I made a comment to my now wife. That was May 2022, and inspections to find out what was going on with the bridge didn't complete until Oct 2022! They still have it closed and it is now estimated that it will take until 2025 to replace it. This all from the city recently voted the 4th worst traffic in the world. London, Chicago, and Paris are the only cities with the distinction of worse traffic.

Top Bottom
1 2