Latest crime - buying a house while black

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
MLK Jr. (for one) disagreed with this nonsense. Couching it in “I mean poor people, not specifically black people” is supposed to make it better?

How does this mesh with the GOP belief that poor people can become rich by lifting themselves up by their bootstraps to become self-made millionaires? I mean, which is it? a) Poor people don’t know what to do with money and will instantly waste it? Or b) they can become self-made millionaires? Both cannot be true. This is a catch-22. Poor people are too stupid to be given money because they will waste it... but poor people shouldn’t complain because if they just “tried harder” they would be able to get rich.
Some can. Some can not. Just like rich white people. Some stay rich, some do not. And I mean poor people. I see it here all the time. Someone inherits some money from a parent and all of a sudden there is a $50K truck in the driveway to pull the new boat. All outside of a run-down old house or trailer.

Not everyone is meant to be rich, or even middle class. It is a combination of intelligence, work ethic and desire. Some people, no matter the race, have it and some do not. I will say a poor minority kid who has the desire will be more successful than a lazy middle class white kid.

The first part of the bolded post applies just about to anyone who is not financially savvy. I have said that I think financial reparations have limited value. It’s better to fix the system, change attitudes of whites which appears to be a difficult task, and expand opportunity. Can you clarify the second part about money going to black families will end up in the hands of criminals?

I don't mean street criminals, I mean scammers. Just like they target unsophisticated old people, what do you think will happen if all of a sudden all these families have 10's or hundred's of thousands of dollars? Shady investment people are going to swarm like locusts.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Some can. Some can not. Just like rich white people. Some stay rich, some do not. And I mean poor people. I see it here all the time. Someone inherits some money from a parent and all of a sudden there is a $50K truck in the driveway to pull the new boat. All outside of a run-down old house or trailer.

Not everyone is meant to be rich, or even middle class. It is a combination of intelligence, work ethic and desire. Some people, no matter the race, have it and some do not. I will say a poor minority kid who has the desire will be more successful than a lazy middle class white kid.

I don't mean street criminals, I mean scammers. Just like they target unsophisticated old people, what do you think will happen if all of a sudden all these families have 10's or hundred's of thousands of dollars? Shady investment people are going to swarm like locusts.

We are talking about giving homes to people at a discount. Your argument is apparently based on a mix of prejudice and anecdotal observances from your local area. If only there was a time in history we could find what happened when a bunch of poor people were given homes, and how it turned out......

Levittown after WWII:

Veterans and their families waited on lines for hours just for the chance to sign up to move to Island Trees. Half of the homes already had rental agreements in place pre-production. Originally conceived as rentals, they soon gave residents an offer they couldn’t refuse. Low money down, as little as 400 dollars, and a mortgage that was far less than the rent they would pay in the city. Using the G.I. Bill homeowner assistance benefit, the first homes sold for under $8,000, and came with a television!

But of course, black people need not apply. And guess what? Did these poor people who only had $400 for a down payment default on their mortgages en masse and waste all their money? Nope. But sure, if it’s poor BLACK people, you seem convinced that is what will happen.

One of the biggest reasons there is more than a $100K wealth gap per family between white and black people is due to homes being sold at low prices exclusively to white people a generation ago - and that generational wealth being passed on. At the time Levittown was started, black and white people were living together in what you’d call now “projects” in the city. White people were given a cheap and easy way out. Black people were intentional excluded.

So, this entire idea below is utter nonsense based on what we actually observed in history when giving people a hand up.

Even if you gave Black families billions, or trillions, most of them aren't financially savvy enough (and this is because they are poor, not Black) and the majority of the money will be gone in a few years.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
What if everyone had a college degree. We would still need people to do manual labor to build our roads and bridges, our homes, to keep the power on and water flowing.
Then you’d have people with college degrees doing the manual labor that hasn’t been automated.

Should poor people sacrifice getting themselves higher education for the greater good (i.e. doing manual labor brats with college degrees are too good for)?

Provide everyone with realistic equitable opportunities to get themselves higher education and let the chips fall where they may.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

This could be an issue with any group of low or regular income people. Look at lottery winners, the money is gone in a matter of years. Reparations would be much less than a big lottery payout. As far as reparations, the debate should be is this the right thing to do? I’ve already offered my opinion on this, questioning reparation which seems to be more a bandaid than meaningful changes in our society.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
This could be an issue with any group of low or regular income people. Look at lottery winners, the money is gone in a matter of years. Reparations would be much less than a big lottery payout. As far as reparations, the debate should be is this the right thing to do? I’ve already offered my opinion on this, questioning reparation which seems to be more a bandaid than meaningful changes in our society.
Reparations could be exactly like the housing given to white people after WWII (as mentioned above). That’s the bare minimum. It was given to one group, and the other group was intentionally excluded. But if you now offer that same thing to black people, white Republicans cry ”REVERSE RACISM!” to the hills.

They wanna keep their white-only handouts from years ago and angrily oppose any black-only handouts of the exact same kind now.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Reparations could be exactly like the housing given to white people after WWII (as mentioned above). That’s the bare minimum. It was given to one group, and the other group was intentionally excluded. But if you now offer that same thing to black people, white Republicans cry ”REVERSE RACISM!” to the hills.

They wanna keep their white-only handouts from years ago and angrily oppose and black-only handouts of the exact same kind now.
I tend to think of reparations as personal payments. I’m good with subsidies as long as there is an understanding of mission accomplished.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

They wanna keep their white-only handouts from years ago and angrily oppose any black-only handouts of the exact same kind now.
Unfortunately, not just Republicans, but many whites cry either "reverse racism" (sic) or "there are no slaves still living." As if reparations is just about slavery. It's about the continuing discrimination against Black people. From the formation of this nation, through the Civil War, WW1, WW2, the modern Civil Rights Movement of the late 50s through 60s, and even today where Black farmers finally got loans and debt relief to make up for outright discrimination seeing judges scuttling the hard fought deal.

I walk away when I hear "debates" about reparations because it's pointless. It'll never happen so it's a great waste of time.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
walking your dog while black.

Chicago officer seen struggling with Black woman who was walking her dog placed on desk duty

"He has at least 24 misconduct allegations against him, three of which were sustained and resulted in discipline, according to CBS Chicago"

This punk was a time bomb. He should be relieved of duty and face assault charges. She should also sue the CPD as that appears to be the only way to force them to do the least.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Like a good neighbor???

(Paywall removed)

Ms. Campbell-Jackson, a Black woman, had worked for State Farm for 28 years in Illinois and Michigan. In 2016, she was fired on the grounds that she had shared confidential information outside the company — a claim she denied. She said her firing had been the final act in a campaign by State Farm to discredit her after she raised concerns that the insurer was using fraud as a pretext to deny the insurance claims of Black customers.

Last year, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission agreed with Ms. Campbell-Jackson, saying that State Farm discriminated against her. She has also sued State Farm, accusing it of discrimination and retaliation. After she came across Mr. Williams’s lawsuit, she agreed to testify on his behalf. Mr. Williams is hoping that Ms. Campbell-Jackson’s testimony will strengthen his request for class certification by offering a view from inside State Farm of the treatment of Black customers.

So now, in addition to black votes being supposedly fraudulent, insurance claims from black people get the same treatment.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I’m loathe to call police for petty crimes when the perp is black because I don’t want to be the cause of police overreacting. I live in an apartment and a few months ago saw some young black teens tearing down an iron fence in our backyard. I told them to move along even though they were damaging property, because juvenile delinquency shouldn’t end with a police execution.

This type of racist profiling needs to be rewarded with hefty cash settlements, and ridicule of the overreactions.

Top Bottom
1 2