Mitch McConnell stepping down as Republican leader

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Clarification, this is not a sermon. I am preaching to counter or critique your post, just an observation. There is a long trend here. In small group survival situations we may act for the good of the whole because the stakes are so apparent. But in any larger group and in some percentage of us, mostly the smart ones who have the opportunity and are in the position to take advantage, this is what we often see. Oh, and you also need a lot of sheep willing to be oblivious, or herded and sheared. That’s humanity in a nutshell. 🤔
It's also the case that as groups get larger, the diversity of thought on what the social contract should be grows. And so you have a more constant tension between different ideas, and different directions that people want to take that social contract as the group grows. This tension can reach a breaking point at times over specific things where two sides dig in over more intractable issues, with slavery being a key one in US history. It feels like right now we are in a similar position where women's and minority's rights are creating a similar digging in and is becoming an intractable issue.

W said "A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it," when asked about his interactions with Congress during his first six months. He was trying to joke about how the President can't get everything he wants from his agenda, but I think it is revealing. Not so much that he saw himself as a dictator-wannabe, but rather that folks do tend to see that if they can dictate the social contract, it'll just be easier to "get things done" (not realizing that plenty of people don't want those things done to them). The question then becomes more about how do people go from "yes it would be easier" to "yes, we should do it", and get people to go along with it. Ultimately, I think the shift in the last few years is that the faction of "we should do it" has gotten louder and stronger by unifying under Trump's banner. The thing I wish I understood better is the process for how you get a power base to go along with it. There's a lot of discussion about fear and creating an out-group for the power base to focus on, but it seems like there's a lot of nuance involved that I'd love to dig into.

Agreed on stuff like this being long term. America First is not new. It had Nazis and Nazi sympathizers back in the 30s/40s. The arguments around Ukraine/Russia sound a lot like the arguments around UK/France/Germany in the late 30s. So we're not even seeing a particularly new strain of thought here in the US, just the support base it enjoys is much more aligned under a single banner at the moment. Today it's the "coastal elites", before it was suspected communists. Difference there is that both national parties seemed to enjoy a bit of the red scare. History may not always repeat, but it sure as hell rhymes.

Capitalism will never do it for the majority without hard-core regulations design to prevent gluttony, the unhealthy accumulation of wealth. I’d regulate out of existence, both billionaires and multimillionaires. How much money do you need to live a good life? Do we have it in us? Let’s see if we can first avoid imploding. 🤔
This is the bit that's interesting. Because part of the post WWII boom IMO was tax policies that helped tamp down on some of this. Over the last 50-ish years, we've slowly been dismantling those policies. Policies that encourage the thinking of "I can invest this dollar in my business (assets, jobs, etc), or the government will get a good chunk of it" helped build a lot of wealth and good paying jobs in the US. But at some point, things shifted and we started getting into the mindset that we need to "appease" business as holy job creators, rather than "manage" business as a matter of public policy.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the bit that's interesting. Because part of the post WWII boom IMO was tax policies that helped tamp down on some of this. Over the last 50-ish years, we've slowly been dismantling those policies. Policies that encourage the thinking of "I can invest this dollar in my business (assets, jobs, etc), or the government will get a good chunk of it" helped build a lot of wealth and good paying jobs in the US. But at some point, things shifted and we started getting into the mindset that we need to "appease" business as holy job creators, rather than "manage" business as a matter of public policy.

Workers, communities, and the middle class did a lot better when corporate taxes were a lot higher because there were tax break incentives to invest in those things. Those incentives are still there but less so because they are already paying a lot less taxes out the gate which means less money going to those initiatives. What’s kind of shocking and disappointing is it really doesn’t take a deep dive to figure it out but we’re just brainwashed into believing less taxes for corporations is positive for everybody and leave it at that.

Whatever indoctrination fear mongering the right is screaming about doesn’t even come close to the capitalism brainwashing achieved by those with the most wealth. Probably the highest achievement in that regard is staring square at the grotesque assets and lifestyles of the wealthy while your brain tells you the roadblock to you having all that is poor people.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's also the case that as groups get larger, the diversity of thought on what the social contract should be grows. And so you have a more constant tension between different ideas, and different directions that people want to take that social contract as the group grows. This tension can reach a breaking point at times over specific things where two sides dig in over more intractable issues, with slavery being a key one in US history. It feels like right now we are in a similar position where women's and minority's rights are creating a similar digging in and is becoming an intractable issue.

W said "A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it," when asked about his interactions with Congress during his first six months. He was trying to joke about how the President can't get everything he wants from his agenda, but I think it is revealing. Not so much that he saw himself as a dictator-wannabe, but rather that folks do tend to see that if they can dictate the social contract, it'll just be easier to "get things done" (not realizing that plenty of people don't want those things done to them). The question then becomes more about how do people go from "yes it would be easier" to "yes, we should do it", and get people to go along with it. Ultimately, I think the shift in the last few years is that the faction of "we should do it" has gotten louder and stronger by unifying under Trump's banner. The thing I wish I understood better is the process for how you get a power base to go along with it. There's a lot of discussion about fear and creating an out-group for the power base to focus on, but it seems like there's a lot of nuance involved that I'd love to dig into.

Agreed on stuff like this being long term. America First is not new. It had Nazis and Nazi sympathizers back in the 30s/40s. The arguments around Ukraine/Russia sound a lot like the arguments around UK/France/Germany in the late 30s. So we're not even seeing a particularly new strain of thought here in the US, just the support base it enjoys is much more aligned under a single banner at the moment. Today it's the "coastal elites", before it was suspected communists. Difference there is that both national parties seemed to enjoy a bit of the red scare. History may not always repeat, but it sure as hell rhymes.

Post WWII the top tax rate was 90% (I believe, without looking it up). Some of this I think was to pay down debt from the war, but not sure about that. Just listen to Republicans for the last 50 years, the constant drone of elect me and I’ll lower your taxes. Zero discussion about what we want accomplished with our taxes or why we need taxes to pay for things like infrastructure. Nope, just lower your taxes. And the peons get all excited about the $500 they saved in their taxes while corporate America is basically handed billions that used to be devoted to the maintenance of the nation. 🤔

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Josh Hawley took great pleasure when being interviewed about McConnell, wondering aloud why he’s not stepping down now.

McConnell is leaving because it’s only a matter of time before the poison that has crippled the house GOP does the same to the senate GOP. Hawley, Cruz, Grassley, Johnson, Tuberville and Kennedy are real slimy characters who will fully embrace the same shit show antics that you see in the house,

I give McConnell no warm send off, the country will be no worse without him, as he has no backbone, and may arguably be better off without him. He stood by idly as his party made racist, untrue attacks against Obama and the tea party creeps laid the foundation to give us Trump, and McConnell himself would occasionally join in on the racist attacks.

He deserves to retire with a fractured party and soiled reputation. If he’s surprised the stink of Trump’s BS rubbed off on him, it’s even more of a clear sign it’s time for him to go.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its one anyone's radar and I am not usually one to support wild conspiracies, but I stumbled on this yesterday.

Apparently there is a conspiracy that this was a "message" to McConnell and soon after he announced his retirement and then ultimately support of Trump. I don't give it much credence, but I am surprised that there wasn't much news on this.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Not sure if its one anyone's radar and I am not usually one to support wild conspiracies, but I stumbled on this yesterday.

Apparently there is a conspiracy that this was a "message" to McConnell and soon after he announced his retirement and then ultimately support of Trump. I don't give it much credence, but I am surprised that there wasn't much news on this.

You can't really come up with a good Trump conspiracy, because if it turned out to be true, it wouldn't matter. If we found out tomorrow - on tape no less - Donald Trump himself personally ordered Roger Stone to sabotage her vehicle and "make it look like an accident", Mitch McConnell would still support Trump. Nothing works with these people. Mitch McConnell endorsement is like, planting the flag. The Republican Party is dead. It really is, this is a cult dedicated to the political, legal and emotional well-being of one, single individual.

Hell, part of being a good republican wingman is insulting your friend's date. Apparently, republican women have a strong affinity for being insulted and men who don't stand up for them. You haven't really earned an endorsement from your peers if you haven't made a few racist attacks on their spouses.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Most Republicans and their base are spineless cowards, and voters like Herdfan prefer that to Biden. That’s a damn shame.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
It’s long overdue but I’m also concerned about who will replace him. He and Trump obviously did not see eye to eye. I think disagreement important within a political party because it helps provide checks and balances against bad decisions. Especially true of the Trump faction.

This is one less octogenarian in office grasping to power in their twilight years and despite apparent medical issues, in his case a noticeable cognitive decline along the multiple “freezing spells” (that he has never explained to the public as one of the most important political leaders… Saying it’s not a seizure or seizure isn’t very assuring either).

I don’t agree with a lot of what he’s done, but he’s an incredibly shrewd politician hiding behind his meek personality. I’m not sure the republicans have a replacement who is as politically savvy as he is.

Many seem to want his legacy to be the man who engineered the overturning of Roe v Wade because of blocking Garland for SCOTUS. While he certainly helped that happen and wanted it to happen, I think people give him too much credit. That’s like blaming James Comey for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 unexpected loss while RGB assumed Clinton would be in office to appoint her replacement so did not retire under Obama which then allowed Trump to elect Barrett to Scotus creating a right majority…. Ergo James Comey is responsible for RvW being overturned.

Top Bottom
1 2