Mob storms Capitol

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
NBC TV just said there had been right wing chatter about storming the Capitol for weeks.

So, did our intel services downplay this—at the urging of Trump’s cronies, who now run those services?

No.

I suspect that they thought this isn't (or wasn't) serious; whites aren't supposed to do such stupid things, after all, the system protects them (whereas, if African-Americans, or Muslims, had come out with this sort of stuff, I can safely assume that the attitudes and responses of the authorities and the intelligence services would have been more than a bit different).

After all, nothing of the sort has happened since the southern states made an ass of themselves shortly before the civil war.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It wouldn’t surprise me.

I'd like to know too. No one sane in government though wanted it to be possible for Trump supporters to say they were oppressed by the deep state or whatever and so kept from exercising their right to gather peacefully to protest.

They were entitled to request permits for a protest and they did that. Chatter is chatter. Two different things.

Whether someone decided it was worth letting it play out for awhile when it started looking stormy but before it turned to storming the Capitol, good question. I read that someone flashed a stolen police badge at the door to gain initial entry and after that it was like all bets were off and the loons were in there vandalizing offices and taking selfies doing stupid tricks.

What I can't get over is how Trump has been allowed all this time to pump air into his conspiracy theories of a stolen election and a landslide taken away from him. WTF how did the rest of us not manage to convince social media and our own representatives to get Trump's lie-blasting megaphones taken away from him? "Free speech" rights would not seem to pertain at all on this matter.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Twitter locked his (Mr Trump's) account - for twelve hours - tonight.

This is unprecedented, but - I suspect - it is also a preemptive strike, as Twitter (and FB, and other social media platforms) will (inevitably) face questions (and eventual demands for oversight and regulation) from the EU over - not only issues of taxation - but also on issues of refusal to take responsibility for some of the extraordiarily inflammatory material they have allowed to be hosted on their platforms, stuff that has served to underime democracy.

The EU moves slowly, but - eventually - very effectively.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Twitter locked his (Mr Trump's) account - for twelve hours - tonight.

This is unprecedented, but - I suspect - it is also a preemptive strike, as Twitter (and FB, and other social media platforms) will (inevitably) face questions (and eventual demands for oversight and regulation) from the EU over - not only issues of taxation - but also on issues of refusal to take responsibility for some of the extraordiarily inflammatory material they have allowed to be hosted on their platforms, stuff that has served to underime democracy.

The EU moves slowly, but - eventually - very effectively.
So inciting an armed insurrection against the Capitol of the US is what it takes to have tweets removed and an account locked.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
From a NY Times piece. A former Trump WH communcations director tried to put some conservative credentials into a clear statement to Trump supporters that the election was not stolen but simply lost, after Trump kept tweeting today about how he had won in a landslide and it was being taken away from him.

It was only hours into the melee, and after an explosive device was found at the Republican National Committee headquarters, that Mr. Trump released a message telling the mob to leave.

“You have to go home now,” he said in a video message filmed at the White House and posted on Twitter. “We have to have peace. We have to have law and order. We don’t want anyone hurt.” Still, the president ultimately offered encouragement to the mob, noting: “We love you. You’re very special,” and “I know how you feel.”

But many advisers around the president were worried that his message in the video was not forceful enough and that some of his supporters would interpret it as encouragement to continue fighting for him.

Alyssa Farah, who resigned last month from her post as the White House communications director, tweeted a more direct message at the president’s supporters.

“Dear MAGA- I am one of you. Before I worked for @realDonaldTrump, I worked for @MarkMeadows & @Jim_Jordan & the @freedomcaucus,” she said, establishing her conservative bona fides. “I marched in the 2010 Tea Party rallies. I campaigned w/ Trump & voted for him. But I need you to hear me: the Election was NOT stolen. We lost.”

Earlier in the day the president had also encouraged his supporters with an alternate message. “We will never concede,” Mr. Trump said at the rally.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
So inciting an armed insurrection against the Capitol of the US is what it takes to have tweets removed and an account locked.

Yes.

But also - fear - on the part of the social media platforms, that if they don't act, someone else (i.e. a European Government, or the EU), less enamoured of, less constrained by, considerations of the First Amendment, will act to put manners on them.

I think that the EU - and several European Governments - are positively itching, positively twitching - to put manners (and regulation, and oversight) on them.

This is a preemptive strike on the part of Twitter; If they didn't do this, they would have been hauled over the coals at parliamentary committee meetings - at the very least - at EU level, and, it is coming at national level, as well.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 21.04.13.png

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
These nazis, yes NAZIS, need to all be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. They're on camera and can be identified.

I remember way back at my time on MR, people said I was crazy for saying the right wing was capable of this kind of thing. Who's crazy now?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Josh Hawley STILL yapping about challenging the results... but in Pennsylvania, not Arizona? This guy needs to F off PERMANENTLY for continuing to challenge this after the violence. He is insisting on the myth that voter fraud is a problem. This guy should be censured just for the picture we saw today, but then he has the f-ing balls to act all high and mighty? Those protesters are people HE stoked and riled up. Shame on this traitor.

leekohler2

Power User
Reaction score
Josh Hawley STILL yapping about challenging the results... but in Pennsylvania, not Arizona? This guy needs to F off PERMANENTLY for continuing to challenge this after the violence. He is insisting on the myth that voter fraud is a problem. This guy should be censured just for the picture we saw today, but then he has the f-ing balls to act all high and mighty? Those protesters are people HE stoked and riled up. Shame on this traitor.
Agreed. He needs to be censured.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Trump needs to be removed from office. NOW. Not two weeks from now on Inauguration Day, but RIGHT NOW. He is guilty of sedition, of inciting a riot, of causing at least one death and heaven knows how many injuries..... The man is incapable of governing a country, and as we have seen, has failed at doing so. He should have been locked up a long time ago but was allowed to remain in office even as we all could see and hear that something is very, very wrong with him.

Top Bottom
1 2