Netflix Officially Adding Commercials

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
When this happens it will be the final nail in the coffin for me, it's been going downhill and costing more for too long now as it is.

I get the service “free” through T-mobile (used to be free, now it’s $2 or $3?). I wonder if T-mobile will take those 2 or 3 bucks off the bill so it’s “free” again but this time with ads. I bet they will.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Growth! Growth! Growth! It appears raising rates didn't inspire GROWTH!!!

One of the people involved in a popular Netflix series that got canceled said they were told it no longer matters if a show is doing well in the US. It also has to do well internationally. Growth!

What I recommend they do is some quality control over quantity and don't dump an entire season on the same day. Want people to stick around, then don't give them the opportunity to binge an entire new season over a weekend. I honestly thought that was a dumb business decision as soon as they did it. They could probably cut their budget in at least half if they just released new episodes weekly instead dumping a half dozen entire seasons of shows every month.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is everyone at Netflix brain dead? Raise prices, crack down on account sharing, add commercials. Why are we losing users and our stocks are tanking‽
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Never been a Netflix subscriber. But we have Now TV from Sky.
They also have introduced adverts. They used to be at the start of a show only, but now they have commercial breaks as well.
Then they changed it so you could only watch it on one device at once. That was also a pain as Mrs AFB and I often watch different things.
Of course they offer a premium rate subscription to negate these issues.

gollum

Power User
Reaction score
crack down on account sharing,
That move makes sense - why would a company permit people to access their content for free? With their subscription numbers decreasing for the first time, its an obvious move to shut down folks from using other's account

it will be the final nail in the coffin for me
I hear that a lot and I've seen other people post similar sentiments about quitting but I think the amount of money coming in through ads will completely cover any losses in subscriptions.
I also think the average person or family subscribing netflix will complain but not do anything. I may use this move to convince my family to cancel the subscription. I dropped down to the lowest tier during the prior price hike.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We're going on 20 years with Netflix, but this may finally do it. Heck, with Netflix needing better financials and Apple needing a back catalog ... well ...

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
If they are adding a lower tier with advertising it might not be that big of a deal. I think a lot of people aren't really bothered by ads. And they are far less annoying than sitting down watching 1990s tv with three minutes of ads interspersed randomly.

But at the current price, with ads? That's a problem.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I cannot stand ads. I get Hulu with Verizon Wireless but only the ad option. Can't stand it. So I don't use it. If I need something on Hulu (for example: The Orville) - I'll buy an ad free sub for awhile.

The ads at the start of Apple TV bother me but not to the point where I'd cancel the service. But they bother me a little. I pay to watch what I want to watch not to be told what I should watch.

I think Netflix is just adding a cheaper tier but if ads come to their paid tiers - I'll cancel.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I cannot stand ads. I get Hulu with Verizon Wireless but only the ad option. Can't stand it. So I don't use it. If I need something on Hulu (for example: The Orville) - I'll buy an ad free sub for awhile.

The ads at the start of Apple TV bother me but not to the point where I'd cancel the service. But they bother me a little. I pay to watch what I want to watch not to be told what I should watch.

I think Netflix is just adding a cheaper tier but if ads come to their paid tiers - I'll cancel.

Thank you for making the post I'd have made. I had assumed Netflix would insert a tier below current pricing for the ad-laden one. If that's not the case, I'm done.

I don't keep Hulu past the occasional month because the version with ads is excruciating (and the ad-free version is past my value-for-price asssessment). The ad-laden experience only reminds me of why I ditched my TV and cable way more than ten years ago.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I don't keep Hulu past the occasional month because the version with ads is excruciating

Not sure if it was Hulu or another one, but there was one thing we were watching and the ads were just so repetitive. Make the ads entertaining (the Chevy truck ad with the cat) and I'm Ok with them. But don't make me watch the same ad 3 times back to back to back.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not only have they implemented ads (got my first one the other day), they're now saying they'll add an ad free tier as well. Their content is not what it used to be and we've found ourselves rarely watching anything on there anymore, that coupled with the rate increases is enough to cancel. It's the end of an era in the streaming world, once a titan they're now struggling to keep up with all the competition.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Not only have they implemented ads (got my first one the other day), they're now saying they'll add an ad free tier as well. Their content is not what it used to be and we've found ourselves rarely watching anything on there anymore, that coupled with the rate increases is enough to cancel. It's the end of an era in the streaming world, once a titan they're now struggling to keep up with all the competition.

Exactly my thoughts recently when updating my Netflix watch list. And in my case, add on the fact that when Netflix decided to add "free" videogaming, well... I live in a state that does not tax video streaming but DOES tax online gaming. So I got what amounted to a rate hike for exactly nothing. Netflix's accounting system per se doesn't keep track of whether you actually use the "free" gaming option or not, so no way to avoid the stupid tax.

Recently took that 3-month $5/mo promo of Starz to rount out a summer of lazing about with old TV series and beach reads. So Netflix is teetering on the brink, because when I opt out of Starz regular rates, I'm likely to quit Netflix too.

Top Bottom
1 2