Russia-Ukraine

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ehhh short range AD missiles are not guaranteed to be spotted, especially the smaller ones. They burn fast hit their target (or not) and are gone, you only get a small window to see them. Very hard. I won’t say impossible because I don’t know but knowing what little I know, that’s very hard.

I disagree.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Curious if you have some knowledge you could divulge on why you disagree, or if you disagree but cannot disclose why could you just note that you cannot say anything further. ;)

Most of my career was in defense/aerospace as a hardware and systems engineer on a variety of programs. And while I was never involved with SBIRS (or the preceding DSP program) one does hear things.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Most of my career was in defense/aerospace as a hardware and systems engineer on a variety of programs. And while I was never involved with SBIRS (or the preceding DSP program) one does hear things.
I also heard things about SBIRS/DSP and capabilities :) and came to the opposite conclusion (I should add that like you I have no personal info, unclassified or classified, on that program - just things I heard). I know hard they had to work just to find SCUDs (for early warning anyway), but a Pantsir/Buk/Tor or even worse a MANPAD? (Even those claiming a missile launch aren’t claiming an S-300, so if it was a missile it’s a small AD missile) You’d have to be awfully lucky to catch that depending on the missile, the location, the weather ... and of course the timing. Again this should be taken as the opinion of a non-expert on those systems.

Right now the Pentagon is on record as saying they currently, officially have no evidence of a missile bringing the plane down (that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a missile or they won’t get said evidence).

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Curious if you have some knowledge you could divulge on why you disagree, or if you disagree but cannot disclose why could you just note that you cannot say anything further. ;)
Yeah let’s not turn this into the War Thunder forums :) (not that I could but if anyone actually does know what they’re talking about, please don’t share, whoever is wrong, let us be wrong)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You’d have to be awfully lucky to catch that depending on the missile, the location, the weather ... and of course the timing.

What to you mean with respect to timing? Location and weather, too.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
What to you mean with respect to timing? Location and weather, too.
To be honest, rereading, I was just being redundant - all I meant was that you had to be lucky enough to be looking at the right place at the right time to catch a smaller missile being fired (unless you of course you knew to look there and then but that’s a different scenario … supposedly 🙃). With bigger stuff, yes absolutely we should see it anyway - basically the same as telephoto vs wide angle visible light photography. Our wide angle stuff is excellent but even so to see small things still requires telephoto which means that, unless we get very lucky indeed, we have to know when and where to look.

And with weather my hazy memory is that certain weather conditions were more favorable than others for seeing things even in IR.

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
One thing to remember... national assets of various types/categories, land/sea/space -based, are often tasked via tips from other systems. Based upon my experience working in the aerospace field (ESL Inc and TRW), there's zero doubt in my mind the US covered the event and knows exactly what happened. How the US chooses to characterize and disseminate/reveal that information is another matter.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
At least Pence, Christie and Hailey forcefully and in no uncertain terms condemned Putin. Unfortunately, there is definitely a pro-Putin and pro-Russia faction within the GOP, and Ramaswamy was definitely playing up to that crowd.

I don’t get the GOP. Well, I do - it’s more subservience to Trump. If you admit Russia is bad, then you can’t justify Trump lavishing Putin with praise. But the crazy part is the insane reasonings they give for being anti-Ukraine are things Russia is notorious for. Corrupt, racist, etc? There may be truth to some of that, but that’s not a justification for a siding with a country and dictator that’s far more emblematic of those issues than Ukraine, who is trying to emulate the West.

A united America would only hasten Ukraine’s defeat of Russia and their own democracy. We have a border nation with Russia that wants to join in global diplomacy and protection, and there are many republicans who will push Russian propaganda because they think it paints their favorite politician in a better light. It doesn’t; it makes America look bad and gives Russia material they can put on their airwaves.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
At least Pence, Christie and Hailey forcefully and in no uncertain terms condemned Putin. Unfortunately, there is definitely a pro-Putin and pro-Russia faction within the GOP, and Ramaswamy was definitely playing up to that crowd.

I don’t get the GOP. Well, I do - it’s more subservience to Trump. If you admit Russia is bad, then you can’t justify Trump lavishing Putin with praise. But the crazy part is the insane reasonings they give for being anti-Ukraine are things Russia is notorious for. Corrupt, racist, etc? There may be truth to some of that, but that’s not a justification for a siding with a country and dictator that’s far more emblematic of those issues than Ukraine, who is trying to emulate the West.

A united America would only hasten Ukraine’s defeat of Russia and their own democracy. We have a border nation with Russia that wants to join in global diplomacy and protection, and there are many republicans who will push Russian propaganda because they think it paints their favorite politician in a better light. It doesn’t; it makes America look bad and gives Russia material they can put on their airwaves.
I suppose Vlad greases the proper right-wing media palms stateside, spreading the desired message, along with whatever troll farms he's funding. And I'm sure the $ flows to some of the super-Trumpers in Congress, some of whom also seem to be quite vulnerable to the dumbest conspiracy theories out there.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
1693155304684.png

Below is a translation of a Russian blogger (khokhols is a racist term for Ukrainians)
1693155322752.jpeg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
This is a weird one. Two Russian soldiers apparently trying to fix a car on the road. There is what looks like a 3 or 4-y/o child standing by the car watching them. They flag down a small military vehicle. Someone gets out and looks at the car engine, there seems to be a bit of discussion, then the three soldiers get in the military vehicle and drive off, leaving the child standing by the car. Oh, and also leaving a military rifle leaning against the rear fender.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, at least they left the kid alone, that’s for more merciful than some of the crap these “soldiers” are doing.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's even sweeter that Russian aircraft apparently were destroyed with Ukraine's cardboard/foamboard drones. I love the asymmetry!
That original attack may have been a dry run for tonight, don’t know which UAVs they used yet but it’s a good bet that if they worked once …

Last edited:

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That original attack may have been a dry run for tonight, don’t know which UAVs they used yet but it’s a good bet that if they worked once …

I also like that Ukraine is repurposing the 155mm cluster munition artillery shells we recently gave them. They used an angle grinder to cut open the shell, exposing the 88 small submunitions contained within, and are used as individual drone bomblets. Each submunition is a shaped charge that's capable of penetrating 2 3/4" armor plating. Military aircraft on the ground don't stand a chance.

You really have to admire Ukraine's resourcefulness.

Top Bottom
1 2