Texas

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It was the complete version.

The headline of the story you linked says "Adaptation".

And a case could be made she was fired for assigning an unapproved book regardless of the content.

Don't understand the need of some people to sexualize everything when it comes to kids. My daughter swam with a girl whose mom always made sure her daughter had the cutest clothes, went to the best parties and did almost everything in her power to sexualize her from a young age. The daughter had a baby at 15.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was a graphic adaptation of the original. Only thing that was changed was it was a comic book version. It was not the white-washed version everyone is used to.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

Yes: Anne Frank's diary was not in the form of a comic book: that is the "adaptation" part. But the content was entirely drawn from her diary. There were no additions, other than artwork.

And I understand your point about sexualizing children, which definitely does seem inappropriate – but keeping children ignorant of their encroaching sexuality is equally bad. Shielding young teenagers from any discussion of sex is not helping them cope with reality.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
So how is something like this enforced? Some think they will rely on neighbors reporting anything looking suspicious.
Or are they planning on requiring women of child bearing age to take a pregnancy test before crossing state lines?!

God, these people are nuts. 🤬

Raskin_2023-10-25 at 1.45.32 PM.png

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So how is something like this enforced? Some think they will rely on neighbors reporting anything looking suspicious.
Or are they planning on requiring women of child bearing age to take a pregnancy test before crossing state lines?!

View attachment 26921

This is very misleading. They did not ban abortion related travel.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
This is very misleading. They did not ban abortion related travel.
So are you saying Rep. Raskin is an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about?

On Monday, Lubbock County, a conservative hub of more than 300,000 residents near the border with New Mexico, became the largest county yet to enact such a ban. The county commissioners court, during a public meeting that drew occasionally impassioned testimony, voted to make it illegal for anyone to transport a pregnant woman through the county, or pay for her travel, for the purpose of seeking an abortion.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
So are saying Rep. Raskin is an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about?

No, I am saying he is flat out lying.

The ban is on assisting someone traveling out of state for an abortion, not for traveling out of state for said abortion.

The ordinance allows citizens to sue anyone who assists a woman in obtaining an abortion in Lubbock County or by traveling through Lubbock County. The ordinance clarifies its provisions do not apply to pregnant women seeking an abortion, but do apply to anyone assisting them.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Of course you are.
The ban is on assisting someone traveling out of state for an abortion, not for traveling out of state for said abortion.
It amounts to the same thing. I don't think you can ever comprehend what something like this means to a woman.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

But based on his Tweet (guessing it was a Tweet), based on your post you thought they had banned out of state travel for abortion. Which they did not.

It amounts to the same thing. I don't think you can ever comprehend what something like this means to a woman.

I am not personally against abortion. I wish SCOTUS had not ruled as they did. But I am also tired of the misinformation regarding it.

Who knows how many people thought like you did that they banned women from going out of state for an abortion based on his Tweet.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So are you saying Rep. Raskin is an idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about?

I guess I would ask how they would know if they weren't told? I mean millions of people fly every day without reporting why to their government on the reason, I don't care what side of the aisle one is on, they can mind their own fkn business as to why and where I'm going.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

If you interpret the ordinance widely, assisting a woman who is traveling out of state to obtain an abortion could mean anything from giving her a ride to handing over a few dollars before she leaves home. Still, I suspect women who have the resources (such as politicians' mistresses) will manage to get the care they need one way or another — it's the poor who will be affected disproportionately. So while this may not technically be a travel ban, the effect for them will be the same.

Funny, whenever one of these draconian abortion measures passes there never seems to be associated funding to assist the babies after they're born.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The law is stupid and there’s no way to explain it so it sounds less stupid and invasive.

Assisting someone or going yourself is a distinction without a difference. A 19 year old college student who was drugged and raped at college can drive herself to get an abortion, but mom or dad will be artested if they drive her?

That almost sounds more stupid than just banning abortion.

Seriously, f***k all these people and their self-righteousness. I am not pro-abortion, I am pro-letting people make their own healthcare decisions.

These are laws to flex authority and to act as intimidation. I don’t know what this law will accomplish, but reducing or eliminating abortions is not one of them. So what’s the point? Besides to flex authority and act as intimidation, I mean…

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
But based on his Tweet (guessing it was a Tweet), based on your post you thought they had banned out of state travel for abortion. Which they did not.

I am not personally against abortion. I wish SCOTUS had not ruled as they did. But I am also tired of the misinformation regarding it.

Who knows how many people thought like you did that they banned women from going out of state for an abortion based on his Tweet.
Some are tweets some are news articles. I think we are reading / interpreting through different eyes. If roads are banned for trying to get an abortion (ie: these women can't travel through the county), then that includes out of state travel. How else would they get there? Fly?
Can you really not see this? There's no way they are all lying.

Forgive me - some of these are tweets, others are links. I didn't realize tweets are now not welcome here. I have nothing against tweets if it's from someone I've followed for quite some time and trust. How else am I to interpret this when it's being reported all over the place?!

Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 3.34.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-25 at 3.37.01 PM.png

Lubbock County, Texas, joins a group of other rural Texas counties that have voted to ban women from using their roads to seek abortions.

Yet the response from Mark Lee Dickson, a Christian pastor says:
"This ordinance does not interfere with anyone's right to travel - neither the born or the unborn.
Which is pure BS.

Plain & simple: Lubbock County, Texas, outlaws helping people travel through unincorporated areas of the county on their way for abortion care.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
At least California is offering doctors in hostile red states abortion training. Maybe this will help alleviate some women returning to dirty back rooms and coat hangers.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The law is stupid and there’s no way to explain it so it sounds less stupid and invasive.

AIUI, the law is an end-around that does not burden the county with enforcement but simply makes it easier for private citizens to file a legal complaint against a person who helped a woman cross Lubbock county presumably on their way to New Mexico to get treatment.

Like many counties in that part of Texas, Lubbock County is a postage stamp, about 30 miles on a side. It does have major roads through it, leading to New Mexico, but one could go around it without too much difficulty, if one were headed that way. This is little more than posturing.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, let’s be clear - Republicans rushing through virtue-signaling bills to their far-right base before thinking them through or trying to take into account intricacies and contradictions is not new.

That’s why there always stories popping up of laws backfiring, or needing to be addressed in a legislative session because they find out they’ll be subject to the same inconveniences they sought to inflict on others.

Passing this bill to say they passed it was probably more important to them than actually banning abortion or making them harder to obtain. The danger of course, it putting these pieces in place, so that when they do have someone with authoritarian tendencies, they can start enforcing these laws (as they see fit).

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2