TF Guy! You know what it means

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Democrats have the power. Why are they acting like they dont? Sometimes they piss me off.
Does it take 60 votes to make the filibuster go away? Or can the Dems just kill it tomorrow? If so, WTF? Is it people like Manchin and Sinema preventing it?

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Does it take 60 votes to make the filibuster go away? Or can the Dems just kill it tomorrow? If so, WTF? Is it people like Manchin and Sinema preventing it?
It's complicated.

The most straightforward way to eliminate the filibuster would be to formally change the text of Senate Rule 22, the cloture rule that requires 60 votes to end debate on legislation. Here’s the catch: Ending debate on a resolution to change the Senate’s standing rules requires the support of two-thirds of the members present and voting. Absent a large, bipartisan Senate majority that favors curtailing the right to debate, a formal change in Rule 22 is extremely unlikely.
A more complicated, but more likely, way to ban the filibuster would be to create a new Senate precedent. The chamber’s precedents exist alongside its formal rules to provide additional insight into how and when its rules have been applied in particular ways. Importantly, this approach to curtailing the filibuster—colloquially known as the “nuclear option” and more formally as “reform by ruling”—can, in certain circumstances, be employed with support from only a simple majority of senators.
The nuclear option leverages the fact that a new precedent can be created by a senator raising a point of order, or claiming that a Senate rule is being violated. If the presiding officer (typically a member of the Senate) agrees, that ruling establishes a new precedent. If the presiding officer disagrees, another senator can appeal the ruling of the chair. If a majority of the Senate votes to reverse the decision of the chair, then the opposite of the chair’s ruling becomes the new precedent.

So the answer to "Does it take 60 votes or just a simple majority?" is apparently yes. 😏

Approval of Manchin, Sinema and even Biden are the wild cards. The former two in particular have to be satisfied. Manchin is pushing for a simple "talking filibuster" (see: "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"), but for myself, I'd rather see them create a carve-out for voting and civil rights issues, in addition to the one they have for budget bills. Among other things, that might give them enough teeth to make radically partisan gerrymandering illegal. And if that were to happen, many things would take care of themselves, including the party composition of Congress.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
A quick revisit to the sheriff's official who made TF guy today

It just keeps swirling down the drain...

The Georgia sheriff's official who said the man accused of killing six Asian women and two others in shootings at spas in the Atlanta area had "a bad day" previously shared a photo of racist T-shirts on social media.

In a Facebook post from April 2020, Cherokee County Sheriff's Capt. Jay Baker shared an image of T-shirts based off the Corona beer label that said "Covid 19 IMPORTED VIRUS FROM CHY-NA."

"Love my shirt," Baker wrote. "Get yours while they last.'"
sub-buzz-295-1616018630-6.png

Is NOT doing racist stuff a bar too high for some? Really?!!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think we need to read too deeply into the actions or rhetoric of the new Republican party. They're all obstruction and literally anything the left does or likes is evil. Context or background means nothing to them. So while you can look at individual actions and go "this is racist", "this is sexist", or "this is authoritarian", it really doesn't matter to them. Chip away at each if you want, but they are a one-note party and that one note is just be the opposite of the left on everything.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
How the F does someone get elected, and NOT learn how to read the F'N room?

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1372557069312753676/

Oh, if you are wondering why Toby Keith is trending on Twitter today... see THAT Fn guy above and...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1372558093926694912/

The supposed "old saying" is from a song written for him in 02

Was listening to a conversation about how we reflexively want to elevate these representatives but what most, not all, people in Congress have in common is mediocrity. These aren’t the best of the best. Real leaders have no interest in joining the circus. Also several former Congress people have said it’s just like high school with the clicks and popularity contests. So you have a bunch of people who peaked in high school who love that dynamic and façade of success and power and have no real empathy for the millions of people they are making decisions for.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
How the F does someone get elected, and NOT learn how to read the F'N room?

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1372557069312753676/

Oh, if you are wondering why Toby Keith is trending on Twitter today... see THAT Fn guy above and...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1372558093926694912/

The supposed "old saying" is from a song written for him in 02
This guy may as well wear his KKK robe to work. The typical whining when a white supremacist commits a heinous crime. For some reason, people who CLAIM not to support white supremacy suddenly get EXTREMELY OFFENDED that people are calling out the white power movement. Hmm… why are you offended when the white supremacists are called out?

Then you go on a list of grievances that indicates you wondering why nobody is attacking black people as a bloc or Latinos as a bloc when a black person or Latino person commits a crime…?

Do you hear yourself, Congress-critter? When you hear “white supremacist” you assume they are talking about all white people because YOU are a white supremacist and think all other white people are too. So then it’s easy for you to assume all black people are black supremacists, or latino people are all rapists. And it doesn’t even enter your mind for one second to NOT talk about the good ol’ days when you could lynch as many minorities as you could get your hands on!

The extremely sad thing here - I see on conservative message boards that a LOT of people feel the same way: PERSONALLY offended when white supremacists get called out. There are a lot of white supremacists out there… and I think we have a new category: people who weren’t white supremacists, but they think things such as “when liberals say ‘white supremacist’ they mean all Republicans.”

The ”POOR ME” victimhood from people with 50 guns per household who love to call liberals pansies or bleeding-hearts is really something else. I have never seen a bigger group of whiners and (to use their term) snowflakes ❄️ than the current crop of far-right true believers.

/end rant

U

User.45

Yes, TF guy still deserves his regular place in this thread.

He does it on purpose.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1372573094494285829/
Rand is the embodiment of the evil republican. He demands large scale evidence on processes we described few weeks ago. He knows it's not there yet. But he can also understand that lowering the pool of infected people lowers the probability of random events that lead to the development of new strains, but he's up for re-election in 2022 so there are the priorities.

Luckily, twitter gave me a chuckle on this:
1616123392589.png

U

User.45

Absolutely fuck this guy:

LAKE WALES, Fla. — A Lake Wales man, who could have been sent to prison for years based on the claims in a police report, was saved by a home surveillance camera. It showed he didn’t attack an officer, as claimed in the report.

After the incident, community leaders said it’s not the first time they’ve heard complaints about heavy-handed policing in their small town.

“I stopped at a stop sign on Third Street and I noticed the officer behind me, way before I even stopped,” Cordero said, describing how the incident started.
Unbeknownst to the officer, a camera across the street captured it all. “I get out of the vehicle to ask him what’s going on because he’s been following me for a while,” Cordero said. Cordero stood by his car for more than 20 seconds. “Cordero immediately exited the driver door and began to charge...”
However, Officer Black’s report said, “Cordero immediately exited the driver door and began to charge towards my patrol vehicle.”
It also indicated Cordero approached the officer with closed fists. “That’s absolutely not true,” Cordero said.
Cordero said he complied with all of Officer Black’s commands.
“The officer requested to me that I go to the back of my car and put my hands on the trunk. Because he wants to search me to see if I have a weapon,” Cordero said.
Black approached Cordero about 30 seconds later.
“He sucker-punched me from the back, right here, cracked a piece of my tooth out. I landed on the ground,” Cordero said.

Moments later, Officer Travis Worley arrived.
“They both jumped on me and beat me up really bad,” Cordero said.
In the report, Officer Black says he, “delivered an elbow strike to the left side of Cordero’s head” … because he thought he was ”reaching for a weapon.”
In an internal affairs complaint Cordero filed, he said Worley used a racist slur.
Cordero was charged with resisting arrest, assault on a law enforcement officer and making a death threat to a law enforcement officer.
When he bonded out of jail the next day, he went door to door in the neighborhood until he found the footage.

After Cordero shared the footage with police, Officer Black wrote in another report,

"I believe my perception was altered due to the high stress of the incident.”

In one complaint, the Lake Wales High School principal emailed the police chief about Worley alleging he used a racial slur in front of students and saying, “quite simply, he is not the same caliber as the other officers I know are--- not even close.”
The complaint was investigated by the deputy chief, but no wrongdoing was substantiated.
Worley was also the subject of an internal investigation after an African American female officer accused him of using a racial slur while on a call.
The report says investigators were, “unable to prove if a racial slur was used by Officer Worley” but investigators found evidence Worley used “multiple profane words while in a heated argument.”
He was suspended for eight hours without pay in 2020.
Worley defended himself, writing, “more than ample opportunities were given for someone to provide evidence of me being racist, with negative results." He asked the chief to investigate the female officer, writing “the longer she is allowed to continue working here, the more of a chance she will have to harm good officers and their families."

The cop who jumped Cordero and lied deserves real jail time for assault and perjury. Also, TFG's wish had been granted: someone providing evidence of him being a racist. I suspect not even @Gutwrench would defend this POS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom
1 2