The Bud Light Boycott

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Can anyone help me to understand this in a way that doesn't make those who boycott it homophobes? This is a serious question, I was out with a friend and when the waitress said they had Bud Light on tap he almost got angry with her when he said NO WAY I REFUSE!. We don't go into politics but it was all I could do to sit through dinner with him, I just can't hang around anyone knowing they hate gay people even if they seem decent otherwise it shows who they really are.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
ya it was crazy blowing up beer in protest? its really just their hate for others coming out.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
ya it was crazy blowing up beer in protest? its really just their hate for others coming out.
Pretty much all I can see on it and frankly they're so open about it that it's startling. You can see why there is a divide in this country, I don't care who it is, if they're openly racist or homophobic I refuse to hang around with them.

It used to be these folks kept it under their lip but Trump has changed that and united them, so they're all outspoken now.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This is a serious question, I was out with a friend and when the waitress said they had Bud Light on tap he almost got angry with her when he said NO WAY I REFUSE!.

Help me out here, I'm feeling a little slow tonight...

Was it your friend's view that drinking Bud Light translates to being gay? That's a new one for me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Help me out here, I'm feeling a little slow tonight...

Was it your friend's view that drinking Bud Light translates to being gay? That's a new one for me.
No, my assumption is it was this, then all the bigots went apeshit and boycotted:

NPR
In a video posted to her Instagram, Mulvaney sipped a can of Bud Light as she discussed March Madness, adding that the company had sent her a custom-made tallboy can to commemorate the anniversary of her transition, with an image of her face printed on the side.

The only inference I can make here is because this beer supported a trans person Conservatives want to boycott them, will happily listen if there's another reason here. From what I can tell it's strictly transphobia.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way, people do have freedom of association. I don’t go to Chick-fil-a because of their support of groups that put resources towards anti-LGBT projects. They are free to not support Anheuser-Busch. Not that boycotts on these scales do much to businesses this big, but I’d argue that people should be considering the ethics of businesses they support more often.

Doesn’t make it any less silly to boycott Anheuser-Busch over using a trans person for cheap advertising. Or destroying product in a grocery store over it.

And no, I don’t see an alternative explanation here, because that was the inciting incident. It’s just that we’ve got a number of folks stirring the pot when it comes to trans people that has brought a lot of attention on a small number of people and turned the whole thing into a lightning rod for a culture war. Is it any wonder we’ve got folks pitching a fit on this?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I look at it this way, people do have freedom of association. I don’t go to Chick-fil-a because of their support of groups that put resources towards anti-LGBT projects. They are free to not support Anheuser-Busch. Not that boycotts on these scales do much to businesses this big, but I’d argue that people should be considering the ethics of businesses they support more often.

Doesn’t make it any less silly to boycott Anheuser-Busch over using a trans person for cheap advertising. Or destroying product in a grocery store over it.

And no, I don’t see an alternative explanation here, because that was the inciting incident. It’s just that we’ve got a number of folks stirring the pot when it comes to trans people that has brought a lot of attention on a small number of people and turned the whole thing into a lightning rod for a culture war. Is it any wonder we’ve got folks pitching a fit on this?
Anti LGBTQ or racism are two things that I simply won't tolerate in the culture war, I mean I won't go as far as arguing with people about it because it's just too prevalent right now and they've taken off their veils, but I'll absolutely never hang around with them if I know. I've had to sever a couple of friendships as a result.

Also, Jesus.

gdtd909f1hya1.png

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
New polls suggest a majority of Americans (60%) believe a person's gender is set at birth. So while you can try and narrow this down to redneck homophobes, it isn't just them.

The numbers get worse for giving kids puberty blockers, transitioning teens and allow bio men to compete against women, or a big one on here, allowing teachers to talk to K-3 students about transgerderism (80% oppose).

I think the majority of the public simply got tired of all of it being pushed at them that this is the response.

From a business perspective, this has to be the biggest boneheaded mistake since "new" Coke. The VP of Marketing wanted to make the brand "less fratty". Why? That is what it is. There are other brands in the portfolio that you could have used. Just dumb.

Not that boycotts on these scales do much to businesses this big,

I would call $5B a pretty good hit. And if you saw the video at the baseball game (sorry can't remember which one) where the Bud Light booth was empty, this hit may keep going. Once people realize that Bud Light isn't special and there are other beers just as bad, they may not come back.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
New polls suggest a majority of Americans (60%) believe a person's gender is set at birth. So while you can try and narrow this down to redneck homophobes, it isn't just them.

The numbers get worse for giving kids puberty blockers, transitioning teens and allow bio men to compete against women, or a big one on here, allowing teachers to talk to K-3 students about transgerderism (80% oppose).

I think the majority of the public simply got tired of all of it being pushed at them that this is the response.

From a business perspective, this has to be the biggest boneheaded mistake since "new" Coke. The VP of Marketing wanted to make the brand "less fratty". Why? That is what it is. There are other brands in the portfolio that you could have used. Just dumb.

I would call $5B a pretty good hit. And if you saw the video at the baseball game (sorry can't remember which one) where the Bud Light booth was empty, this hit may keep going. Once people realize that Bud Light isn't special and there are other beers just as bad, they may not come back.
That's a lot of justification to avoid simply saying you're a homophobe, there was a time you all tried to hide it and it made you more tolerable but in the era of Trump you've never been more emboldened with your bigotry. I could post polling that shows most do not support the war on trans as well but I don't see the point in that.

The question I have is what is it to you? How is one's sexual identity really putting YOU out? Have they harmed you in some way? Just WTF have they done to you personally that you can't simply leave them the fuck alone?

Sorry, but I'm fed up with the faux outrage you guys have for people who are doing nothing to you. Republicans have become so anti-cancel culture that you're now cancelling more shit than Liberals could've ever dreamed of.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No, my assumption is it was this, then all the bigots went apeshit and boycotted:

NPR

The only inference I can make here is because this beer supported a trans person Conservatives want to boycott them, will happily listen if there's another reason here. From what I can tell it's strictly transphobia.
well it wont last you cant keep bubba from his beer.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
well it wont last you cant keep bubba from his beer.
On that front they're just too stupid to realize that Anheuser-Busch has 40 brands so they're likely still getting a beer from them anyway. I used to work for one of the craft brewers that was acquired by them.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
That's a lot of justification to avoid simply saying you're a homophobe, there was a time you all tried to hide it and it made you more tolerable but in the era of Trump you've never been more emboldened with your bigotry. I could post polling that shows most do not support the war on trans as well but I don't see the point in that.

This is the problem in a nutshell. If I have an issue with a bio male competing against females, then I am a homophobe. I guess if they are also a POC, that makes me a racist as well. Sorry but it is not that simple or black and white. You want a purity test and that is going to fail Look at what happened to Dee Sider this past weekend. A long time supporter of gay rights was "uninvited" from performing because he simply doesn't think we should be transitioning children. That is a reasonable position, yet it failed the purity test and he was labeled transphobic. If they think this is the path to acceptance, they are mistaken.

The question I have is what is it to you? How is one's sexual identity really putting YOU out? Have they harmed you in some way? Just WTF have they done to you personally that you can't simply leave them the fuck alone?

In daily life, it doesn't. Which is why I don't care.

But in some aspects, it does. I love the sport of swimming. And hate what Lia Thomas did to it. If you have never swam competitively, then you have no idea how hard they work. Morning practices, afternoon practices, a run or drylands when you can fit them in. Most of you wouldn't make is through a practice designed for 10 year olds. Yet these girls had all their work wasted because a bio male had an unfair advantage. If because I hate this, it makes me a homophobe, then I will wear that badge with honor.

On that front they're just too stupid to realize that Anheuser-Busch has 40 brands so they're likely still getting a beer from them anyway. I used to work for one of the craft brewers that was acquired by them.

They do. So why was it such an issue that one of their brands was "fratty". They could have done this with any of their craft brands and most people wouldn't have noticed.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is the problem in a nutshell. If I have an issue with a bio male competing against females, then I am a homophobe.
You're also on record here taking a stand against how men dress as women as well. Yes, it makes you a homophobe IMO but feel free to downplay that in whatever way best justifies it for you. These people are doing nothing to you but offending your way of life, and frankly that's your problem, not theirs.

I guess if they are also a POC, that makes me a racist as well. Sorry but it is not that simple or black and white.
When the ONLY time you bring up chosen grievances is when it's a black person, it does make you racist IMO.

It's become fashionable to be so open about it in the era of Trump, for a long time this mentality was taboo but that is no longer the case. On a personal level with any of these people I'm not going to worry about offending anyone who supports this ideology, you are what you are and deserve to be called out on it.

It's time society took a stand and put these people back under their rock. And if the line "your calling me out on being a bigot makes you a hater" fits then I'll gladly own being a hater.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
You're also on record here taking a stand against how men dress as women as well. Yes, it makes you a homophobe IMO but feel free to downplay that in whatever way best justifies it for you. These people are doing nothing to you but offending your way of life, and frankly that's your problem, not theirs.

Only when they are performing in front of kids. But feel free to leave that part out.

When the ONLY time you bring up chosen grievances is when it's a black person, it does make you racist IMO.

Dude, one of my good friends is Black. He has no problem with my views on some of these subjects.

It's become fashionable to be so open about it in the era of Trump, for a long time this mentality was taboo but that is no longer the case. On a personal level with any of these people I'm not going to worry about offending anyone who supports this ideology, you are what you are and deserve to be called out on it.

I don't think the percentages in that WaPo poll agree with this. A MAJORITY of the country thinks you can't change genders. If this were a Trump thing, he would be President right now.

You are literally calling up to 80% of the country homophobic because they might disagree with one aspect.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

When Loving was decided, interracial marriage’s approval was 20%. Would you say that Loving was on the wrong side of history? Argumentum ad populum isn’t a good basis for an argument at the end of the day.

And I never said this was only a problem on the right, but it’s certainly become a priority issue for right-wing politicians, because it’s a much easier win with their base than with Democrats at the moment.

See above. That said, if you want to make a better argument here, talk about why these things are supposedly bad. But that’s not super great for your argument either.

Testosterone is a steroid, it builds muscle. Blocking it’s effects with HRT does impact the person’s ability to build muscle. Sadly this area has been under researched to understand the full effects of HRT, but research shows that the advantage is primarily linked to what hormones are in your body and how long you’ve been on them. And there are sports where women have an advantage over men, so I suppose we might start seeing “trans women have advantage in X sport” even if we were to demand “sex at birth” categorization.

And I’ve made this point before: but why is all the focus on trans women? Wouldn’t a trans man who is on testosterone be an actual unfair advantage in women’s sports if we just demand that trans people compete as defined by “sex at birth”? Especially based on early research like the above? Ultimately demanding trans people compete based on “sex at birth” effectively leaves the problem unresolved. Trans women wind up unable to compete the longer they are on HRT (except maybe a couple sports where women have been shown to have an advantage), while trans men wind up competing as men in the women’s category, the exact scenario you claim to want to avoid. It’s not so clear cut as you seem to present it.

As for the issues of trans teens/children and transition, there’s a lot of scaremongering out there and single incidents being used to paint the entirety of the subject, and I’d be here all day if I had to start refuting every mis-informed argument on that front. At some point, folks have to be willing to educate themselves and recognize the amount of sheer phrenology-like BS that’s out there right now on this topic.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Only when they are performing in front of kids. But feel free to leave that part out.
Which you've stated here many times. Yet you've never once defended a child from being slaughtered with weapons meant for military use, you'll never convince anyone that you truly care about children as long as you ignore that, you're far more offended by what a man dressed as a woman will do to a child than you are having them riddled with bullets. Get real.

Dude, one of my good friends is Black. He has no problem with my views on some of these subjects.
It's nice that you have a black friend, congratulations on using that card.

I don't think the percentages in that WaPo poll agree with this. A MAJORITY of the country thinks you can't change genders. If this were a Trump thing, he would be President right now.

You are literally calling up to 80% of the country homophobic because they might disagree with one aspect.
80% based on what, a number you pulled out of the hat? As usual, you have no supporting evidence of such a poll other than pundits on Fox News talking out of their asses.

Poll: Majority of U.S. Adults Oppose Anti-LGBTQ Education Policies, Agree that Transgender Youth Should Have Access to Gender-Affirming Care​

A majority of adults oppose banning books and censoring curriculums on LGBTQ topics, and a plurality felt that ages 5 to 11 (elementary school) are the most appropriate ages for students to learn about LGBTQ topics in classes like history, English, and health education.

Only 1 in 3 adults polled said lawmakers should have the ability to outlaw gender-affirming medical care for minors even if such a ban is against the recommendation of doctors and major medical associations.

With supporting links as well
March 30, 2022 — The Trevor Project, the world’s largest suicide prevention and mental health organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) youth, released new polling data today examining U.S. adult perspectives on a variety of issues impacting LGBTQ youth, including LGBTQ content bans and gender-affirming medical care. The poll was conducted by Morning Consult between Feb. 18-19, 2022 among a national sample of 2,210 U.S. adults. The full polling data can be found here.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Define "kids". Is a 13-year-old going to be mentally/emotionally scarred for life if they see a drag show?

And I think we need to be able to talk about the nuance here. The panic is really over burlesque, and by painting drag as burlesque, it’s pretense for banning all drag in front of minors, rather than banning burlesque.

It’s a category mistake, but I hesitate to suggest it’s accidental.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Define "kids". Is a 13-year-old going to be mentally/emotionally scarred for life if they see a drag show?
I think where you grow up plays a bigger role here, for me it was in a city where LGBTQ have a large footprint and I've seen it my entire life from childhood on and nobody I've ever known turned gay or got mentally screwed up as a result. Same goes for race, white people were a minority in my neighborhood and short of some gang gang activity everyone got along in a melting pot, so you didn't look down on others for not being the same race you are. Personally, I feel fortunate for all of that.

On the other hand you have people who want to shelter their children from the real world and paint it as the rosy American dream, and if it weren't for those inner city gay and black people they would have a perfect utopia of straight white greatness. And every time you hear "I have a black friend" as some way to justify their position it's just cringeworthy.

Top Bottom
1 2