The Bud Light Boycott

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I think where you grow up plays a bigger role here, for me it was in a city where LGBTQ have a large footprint and I've seen it my entire life from childhood on and nobody I've ever known turned gay or got mentally screwed up as a result. Same goes for race, white people were a minority in my neighborhood and short of some gang gang activity everyone got along in a melting pot, so you didn't look down on others for not being the same race you are. Personally, I feel fortunate for all of that.
Ditto. The fact I grew up on Air Force bases raised by parents from another era (being an unplanned, late life kid), and still managed to be open and respectful of other's sexual orientation or race, I'm grateful. I always will be.

You could be purple with yellow polka dots wearing a chartreuse feather boa and I still wouldn't care.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Read a report that sales of Bud Light have been on the decline for years, no longer the beer of choice for frat boys and white trash. As such this was an attempt to appear more inclusive to increase sales. The can sent to Dylan Mulvaney was relatively low level PR, but then the bigoted assholes let Budweiser know who is left of their consumer base. So now they know and it saved them a lot of money on demographic research which probably would have given them less than honest results anyway.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Read a report that sales of Bud Light have been on the decline for years, no longer the beer of choice for frat boys and white trash. As such this was an attempt to appear more inclusive to increase sales. The can sent to Dylan Mulvaney was relatively low level PR, but then the bigoted assholes let Budweiser know who is left of their consumer base. So now they know and it saved them a lot of money on demographic research which probably would have given them less than honest results anyway.
I've always maintained that choosing a side is bad for business as the country is pretty much split down the middle politically speaking. However, hating a person for their sexual identity or race shouldn't be political, it shows a blatant inability to accept others who for who they are. In some ways it's good in the sense that you know who is who and can avoid them, which we should all have a right to do. But when they start writing laws around their bigotry it's time to stand up, push back and act. There should be zero tolerance for this unacceptable behavior.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
80% based on what, a number you pulled out of the hat? As usual, you have no supporting evidence of such a poll other than pundits on Fox News talking out of their asses.

I literally linked that poll in Post #9. But here it is again:

So I guess the WaPo is talking out of their asses.

As for the 80% number, in my post I said
You are literally calling up to 80% of the country homophobic because they might disagree with one aspect.

Up to. And that number is derived from the 77% that do not believe we should be discussing trans issues with K-3.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Read a report that sales of Bud Light have been on the decline for years, no longer the beer of choice for frat boys and white trash. As such this was an attempt to appear more inclusive to increase sales.

But why. Ok, so sales are on the decline. It's still a lot. This is something you do with one of your other brands like Stella.

As for Bud Light and white trash, I have to agree with this one. When this happened, someone asked on one of the riding FB pages what brand of beer was going to be thrown out on the trails now? It is always Bud Light.

Maybe we need a camo beer can and marketed as "when your lazy ass tosses it on the ground instead of a trash bag, it will blend in better." :mad:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
And I think we need to be able to talk about the nuance here. The panic is really over burlesque, and by painting drag as burlesque, it’s pretense for banning all drag in front of minors, rather than banning burlesque.

It’s a category mistake, but I hesitate to suggest it’s accidental.

Yes, burlesque is a better description. So why do these performers want, or are even willing to perform in front of young children.

Define "kids". Is a 13-year-old going to be mentally/emotionally scarred for life if they see a drag show?

No, but a 15 year old might if you allow them to have top surgery. And yes, it IS happening. I posted this once in another thread and got some responses back that I was lying and it wasn't happening. As soon as I posted some links of where it was, that part of the discussion was over.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yes, burlesque is a better description. So why do these performers want, or are even willing to perform in front of young children.

No, but a 15 year old might if you allow them to have top surgery. And yes, it IS happening. I posted this once in another thread and got some responses back that I was lying and it wasn't happening. As soon as I posted some links of where it was, that part of the discussion was over.
Just a thought, maybe choose not to let your child attend that day instead of legislating other people for who they are. You’re the party of personal responsibility, act like it.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

Drag itself is not burlesque. Burlesque can involve drag. This is what I mean by a category error. And these laws go further by defining cross dressing as “inherently sexual” into law as justification for the ban, which is definitely isn’t.

If you have a problem with burlesque, deal with that. But don’t redefine public cross dressing as burlesque so you can ban the whole thing.

I don’t really have much to add here if you are going to keep beating the same table with your arguments. This question is starting to get into “when did you stop beating your wife?” territory.

This gets into “exception being used to deny the whole”, which is what people are getting fed up about. Again this beating the table. “Look at this person, it justifies denying care to an entire class of people.” At the end of the day the best policy is to let people decide what is to be done under care, with informed parties, careful consideration and between patient and caregiver. We have existing rules to govern parental rights, emancipation and the like to deal with this in the general sense.

Is it perfect? No. Does it justify the laws being passed? Hell No. How is someone supposed to make good decisions if all options are denied to them under the umbrella ban of *any* sort of affirmative care that would be taking steps over a longer period of time as part of the exploration process?

Will you speak out as loudly and insistently against FGM, intersex surgies on babies (to assign a sex), and circumcision?

I was denied bodily autonomy as a baby and that bothered me more during puberty than the idea of being given the choice and being told that it would be life altering. I would have much preferred that to what I got. And what was done to me is faaaar more common (and legal) than the **** you are harping on about here. What trans people are asking for is not even close to the same thing as was done to me.

So I have a bone to pick with folks that are all about individual freedom but keep coming in with the nanny state to deny folks their own autonomy due to paternalistic thinking.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
From my vantage point, this boycott is a complete over reaction by the right. If you didn’t like the ad, who cares? In reality, it has nothing to really to do with Dylan Mulvaney specifically and everything to do with pent-up outrage against the “promotion” of transgenderism- everything that goes along with that and other socially progressive ideas. Bud-Lite provided an opportunity for an outlet.

From a strictly business/marketing standpoint I have zero sympathy. I have always said companies should not involve themselves in politics and Transgenderism is obviously a hot button political issue. They pissed off their customer base (and to some extent subsequently insulted them with the marketing exec’s comments) and have apparently attracted no new customers (and likely never would have). And it should be obvious that it’s just pandering, but when push comes to shove I doubt they will make business decisions that align with other progressive ideas. Like Nike promoting BLM while fighting US laws that protect against child and slave labor in China. In the same way overly patriotic adverts with cowboys, flags, etc probably isn’t representative of BL corporate either.

I guess this is one way to voice people’s opposition towards the whole transgender topic. If we want to talk about the marked rise in transgenderism among young people, statistically it’s not the children from red states where the rise is being seen… if that’s any consolation to them.

As someone who works in psychiatric medicine, I have some concerns about the dramatic increase in trans identifying youth- more so how cases are handled. I couldn’t care less about the number of transpeople, rather I care ensuring individuals make the best decisions for longterm success- whatever that may be. That’s another topic entirely but needless to say, the way the right generally intendeds on addressing this topic is not appropriate or helpful.

I don’t really drink beer and find Bud-Lite disgusting, but if I did drink it, I wouldn’t let some marketing campaign that didn’t happen to resonate with me affect my decisions.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
From my vantage point, this boycott is a complete over reaction by the right.

What is interesting though, and why I think this one got the traction it did, is that it wasn't organized. I was more grass roots and spread from there.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
That dumb Kid Rock video reminded me of a high school pep rally where a mannequin or something has the opposing team’s jersey on and they destroy it. It’s all just a mindless sportsy mentality.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
What is interesting though, and why I think this one got the traction it did, is that it wasn't organized. I was more grass roots and spread from there.
It's the exact same "cancel culture" that Conservatives used to rail against. You all are nothing if not total hypocrites, nothing makes you more proud than bullying people who aren't the same as you are but in the end it just makes you an asshole.

BTW I will NOT be relenting on this topic, LGBTQ has been beaten down enough, they have the highest suicide rate and simply aren't allowed to be who they are without all the hate you guys throw their way. I'm all for political differences but draw the line when it comes to supporting human atrocities.

We should not be tolerating/supporting this in any way, there are hate sites out there where you can celebrate your extremism, I don't want to be one of them. Also, most normal sites strictly forbid the language you've been propagating and it makes them much more pleasant.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I don’t think it’s completely grassroots. This wasn’t even an ad. This was a video made by Dylan Mulvaney on her social media channel. Somebody(s) needed to point the right-wing outrage police to it in order to blow it way out of proportion and I’m willing to bet most of the outraged don’t even know the background story.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Republicans always find the smallest (and dumbest) molehills to die on.

It’s never-ending culture wars, waged against anyone who’s not straight, white, Christian and Republican. Usually male as well. That’s where their “small government” ideology starts and stops. Everything else is free to police, ban, regulate or outlaw.

They want complete freedom to do whatever they want, pay no taxes, break laws and trash ethics, while they try to control everyone else, all while beating their self-righteousness and religion over your head.

All that said, it goes to show that everyone is in favor of “cancel culture” when it’s something they disagree with getting cancelled. While I find the reasoning for their anger stupid and rooted in homophobia, I also support their right to engage in the cancel culture they hate so deeply.

Maybe they can get Ted Haggard to lead their crusade.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
And mom is surely boycotting Bug Light.

acahdpg8qwza1.png

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I forgot to post an idiot that went after someone in Canada who they thought were buying bud light. man we export all our crazy shit to Canada.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The other issue with this friend was we couldn't even go out without him going into a fit about Bud Light

Note: This quote is from the Pet Peeves thread, but I have a question about it and didn’t want to clog up that thread.

What upsets you the most about the Bud Light boycott?

Is it because you think it is transphobic or because it is actually working ( which in some ways show where the country is on the issue)?

I have to say I am thrilled with the way it is working, but not anywhere close to the reason most would think.

Simply put, my glee goes back 35+ years when I got my first big boy job. I learned then 1) I was not going to be a long-term corporate person and 2) marketers suck.

We would go into meetings and the marketers had their slick presentations on this new program called Powerpoint 😉, while the finance department had green bar paper spreadsheets. And these clowns dominated the meetings and the rest of the company ended up having to jump through hoops to do what they wanted. Management for some reason was afraid to go against them.

So when a marketer screws up, I do take a certain amount of glee in it. 😊

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Note: This quote is from the Pet Peeves thread, but I have a question about it and didn’t want to clog up that thread.

What upsets you the most about the Bud Light boycott?

Is it because you think it is transphobic or because it is actually working ( which in some ways show where the country is on the issue)?
is it working? they own most of the so called competitions brands. so so people are still giving them money. the boycott as usual was from people not smart enough to know Budweiser was not making a ad featuring her. it was stupid piled onto stupid.

Top Bottom
1 2