ICE Vehicles: General topics

JohnR

Tesla & Steeler fan
Reaction score
Interesting report by Bank of America (link).
About what they perceive as a battery shortage due to an increase in the adoption of the electric vehicle.

I am doubtful of that piece because they don’t talk about Tesla’s new battery and production.

which would (I think) free up Panasonic to make batteries for others.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
About what they perceive as a battery shortage due to an increase in the adoption of the electric vehicle.

I am doubtful of that piece because they don’t talk about Tesla’s new battery and production.

which would (I think) free up Panasonic to make batteries for others.
They were really light on details. They didn’t cite a shortage of lithium or any other materials needed for the batteries.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Moving from batteries, has anyone ever clay bar their vehicle?

Just bought the Mequiar's Easy Clay Bar kit today to use on mom's car before putting it up for sale. Looks easy enough, but haven't actually waxed a car in 30 years.

JohnR

Tesla & Steeler fan
Reaction score
Went to the National Fiddler's championship in Lietchfield KY last weekend and they had a car show. Saw this and thought of you guys. :)

It couldn't decide if it was a Z28, GT or vega
IMG_3347.JPG
IMG_3348.JPG

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yes, I have done it a few times.

The first question is, why are you doing this and is it really necessary?

Cleaning it up to sell and the paint feels rough. Started to put some wax on and it still didn't feel smooth, so I stopped. Hence thinking about using clay bar.

Car is a 2011 MB E550 that had probably not been washed in 2 years. It was my mom's and when she couldn't drive it anymore, it just sat.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Most of that will be iron fallout and also probably bits of tar all over the place.

8. Normal shampoo wash (2 bucket / 3 bucket / 1 bucket + 20 wash mitts - use whatever technique you feel most comfortable with

Thanks!

But not sure what all you mean by 2 bucket, 3 bucket etc?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
So, Toyota bet on hydrogen fuel cells for its electric vehicles. That turned out to be a huge mistake since nobody else is on board, and they would have to build the entire infrastructure themselves at this point.

Lucky for them, they’re playing a game in which paying off the umpire is actually encouraged... lobbying. Story below has had its paywall removed for your reading pleasure:

“We’re losing in the EV race, so f*** the planet. Don’t improve emissions standards!"

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The 980 motors in the P, as I understand it, are only running about 80% of their max output, I'm still hoping for a P+ option for my car, unlock those to about 90-92% when in a special mode :D (like maybe Track Mode), I need a good solid sub-3 second 0-60 :D

Makes sense the 980 isn't tapped out. It is the motor used in the Model S Plaid. But I think the Model 3 is limited by its battery and the juice it is able to provide to the motor. Maybe the 4680 can improve on that.

o_O

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1422188562737295368/

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have yet to see anyone confirm that tweet's details.

Then again not many Tesla's have that version yet so will probably be waiting for confirmation.

Not yet, but a buddy of mine is an officer in a large Tesla owners group out on the West Coast, has some decent inside channels - he said that's been an internal discussion for some time, not just around the engineering feasibility, but in terms of product positioning (both industry wide and internally). His words were, "It could happen just as easily as it couldn't ..." :ROFLMAO: Given who runs the company, that should not come as a surprise.

I've also read there are still problems with body panels not being installed correctly at the factory.

Tesla could absolutely use some improved QA. I'm not one of these people that use a micrometer to measure panel gaps, but I also want things to be put together decently well on a $50K+ car. There are issues, that while correctable, should NOT leave the factory, even if it's a small percentage of cars.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Personally I think it's a conspiracy by the bucket manufacturing cabal.

I've never done it, I've used a single buckets on dozens of cars, including one that had a very expensive paint job (even on the RP scale ... :ROFLMAO:). I very thoroughly spray down the car before washing it, make sure my __one__ bucket is clean, my mitt is clean, that's it.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not yet, but a buddy of mine is an officer in a large Tesla owners group out on the West Coast, has some decent inside channels - he said that's been an internal discussion for some time, not just around the engineering feasibility, but in terms of product positioning (both industry wide and internally). His words were, "It could happen just as easily as it couldn't ..." :ROFLMAO: Given who runs the company, that should not come as a surprise.

Now question is do they charge extra for it like with acceleration boost with the Long Range models? ;) But maybe now it will be a 3 second call without rollout.

Tesla could absolutely use some improved QA. I'm not one of these people that use a micrometer to measure panel gaps, but I also want things to be put together decently well on a $50K+ car. There are issues, that while correctable, should NOT leave the factory, even if it's a small percentage of cars.

Like not chipping the paint when installing the passenger doors? heh

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Like not chipping the paint when installing the passenger doors? heh

Yeah, it's just a bit sloppy, and if you're not called out on it, and the car simply goes to the buyer without any scrutiny over your execution (as one of the people building the car), why would you care?

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
So, a fun one, and one that makes me want to buy one of these bumper stickers

1000x750.jpg

My wife and I have been doing some serious housecleaning lately, which for now means more boxes than will ever fit in our puny little recycle can in a 2-week period, lots of time with a box cutter, and probably 3 months worth of actually getting rid of them. So, for now, they get piled in the back of the garage.

I was carrying a stack of boxes the other day, lightly bumped the front of the MG, and heard something hit the floor.

I look at there's a hole in the front wing, and the headlight-bucket and all-are laying on the floor tethered by the wire.

Fortunately, not EVERYTHING can be blamed on British Leyland workers. The bucket should have 4 screws holding it in place, and it had 3. A quick look and one had been cut off so that it stood slightly proud and then painted over-apparently when the car was painted 20 years ago or whenever, they'd had trouble getting it out, and had just cut that one off.

A #10 self tapping screw is supposed to hold the bucket in, but what I pulled out were 10-24 machine screws. I'm amazed it hadn't come off earlier.

I ran by the HW store and grabbed some #10 self tapping(no Posi-Drive as would have been 100% correct, but close enough) plus for insurance some 10-24 Nylock nuts in case the self-tapping didn't take.

Fortunately the self-tapping went right in as they should have, and all was right. Well, not all-I still need to aim them since who knows what kind of screwed up the alignment is now, but at least I can drive it in the day and not worry about it

Top Bottom
1 2