ICE Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yup, the Ioniq 5 has 800v, hence why I am super interested in it.

I *love* the styling on the Ioniq 5 - it's like a ground up EV, but with the right amount of ICE styling touches, lots of "character". I think I'd trust anything coming from Hyundai, they're making amazing products (with a spectacular warranty), Fed Tax credit, supports vehicle to load charging.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I *love* the styling on the Ioniq 5 - it's like a ground up EV, but with the right amount of ICE styling touches, lots of "character". I think I'd trust anything coming from Hyundai, they're making amazing products (with a spectacular warranty), Fed Tax credit, supports vehicle to load charging.

Back in college in the mid 80's a friend showed up with a new car. A Hyundai (you should have heard all the ways people tried to pronounce it) Excel. Nothing special about it, but it was cheap and it ran so he was happy. We spent the better part of 2 years trying to keep his old Civic running (basically had to use starting fluid every single time, got to the point he just left the air filter off) so a car that always started was a novelty to him. He drove it though the last 2 years of college and law school.

They have some quite a ways since then. My M-I-L always drove Honda Accords, but when she got a promotion that involved her driving quite a bit, she got a company Ford. After she retired she wanted to go back to an Accord, but the price was a bit too high. So she went with a Civic, but never really liked it. Then one of her friend's got a Hyundai so when it was time to get a new one, she went and looked at the Sonata. Took her a while to pull the trigger because she had in her mind it was a downgrade from a Honda. And at the time, it probably still was. But she loved it and has had 3 or 4 since that first one.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of Porsche, except for the GT3, but the 928 is definitely the ugliest thing they have created and it makes the panamera look nice.

The 911 platform looked great in the 80s, but when they tried to do something that was very much a snapshot of design for that period, yeah, yikes.

It was also a liquid cooled, front engine V8 ... and at the time, that was heresy! o_O

If you put some better/larger wheels, a little aero, especially a wing to help break up the bubble-butt, drop the ride a little, they can look pretty neat - this is a 928 S4 tuned by TechArt, still very much a design of the 80s, but way better (that 928 from Risky Business is also a horrific color ...)

1628708684247.png

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of Porsche, except for the GT3, but the 928 is definitely the ugliest thing they have created and it makes the panamera look nice.

I have a client with one of those. Looks great except for the color: toy blue 🤮

He has a Z06 that he races at places like Mid-Ohio and VIR. Nothing like being a 60+ year old adrenaline junkie. LOL. He swears the GT3 will never go to the track ........... but I don't believe him. Neither does his wife. :eek:

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
We had a Honda CRV (our second) since January this year. The stereo is pretty awful in terms of connecting a smartphone to it. We were on holiday in Devon a couple of weeks back and we prefer Waze to the onboard Garmin sat nav due to the live updates and a much nicer interface. If you want the commands to come through the car speakers as well as listing to the radio or streaming music from your phone, you’re out of luck. Reluctantly we are considering swapping our car but only if it’s a straight swap. Our CRV has gone up in value due to the car shortages and we are being quoted more than we paid for it in part ex.

Looked at the Seat Ateca, Skoda Kodiaq but my favourite so far for the tech it has is the Peugeot 3008. The 3008 is apparently one of the most reliable in class which shocked me as it’s a French car. Nicest looking too.

48ecf33c1f07f3562a847b730c75bc8b.jpg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I test drove the BMW IX3 on Saturday. It was the "Prestige Pro" so it had all of the bells and whistles. Terrible model nomenclature, but a very nice and comfortable car with the space we would need to for day-to-day shopping, skiing and water sports requirements. 210 KW electric motor driving the rear wheels ensures that it feels capable of getting up the national speed limits easily and the ride is superb on the typically awful UK roads. On a side note: I don't know why England road authorities are incapable of building smooth roads like in Europe. Even newly resurfaced roads are awful and bumpy.

Overall a much better car than the Audi Q4 e-tron, even though once you add some bells and whistles to match the BMW, the Audi costs the same. The BMW also has faster DC charging.

Unfortunately some time last week BMW announced a "2022" refresh of the IX3 and the models are now called M-sport and M-sport pro. They have also reshuffled some of the options that these come with. When I hear the words M-sport I wake up with terrible nightmares, because the last BMW I spent any serious time in was a BMW 320 m-sport rental for a week whilst on a holiday in Europe about 5 years ago.

It had "m-sport wheels", "m-sport suspension", and "m-sport seats". This was certainly the most uncomfortable car I have ever had the displeasure of driving. The whole week was a misery and instead of exploring, like we had planned, we mostly stayed away from driving the pos, due to the potential of permanent back damage. It's not a size or weight issue with these seats either. My wife, who is of a petite stature, also had the same complaints.

I am no stranger to cars with "sports suspensions and sports seats" but this was awful on another level. I see that one of the standard pieces of equipment on the iX3 m-sport is "sports seats". I don't understand why a bog standard compact SUV needs sports seats. This may be just a name and the seats could be exactly the same as the ones in the "prestige pro" that we test drove, but I cannot take the risk. I already have cars with "sports seats and suspension". They are brilliant for tackling mountain passes, but I cannot find a mountain pass every time I just want to go shopping.

So I'll now continue to wait to finally get a chance to test drive the Ioniq 5 and will also test drive this "m-sport" version of the iX3 when it is available. Youtube reviews suggest that the Hyundai will be large enough for our needs, but I am still not entirely sure how big this car actually is. It seems to be about the size of a Merc GLC. I hope that is the case.
Have you test-driven the Ford Mustang EV?

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
If you want the commands to come through the car speakers as well as listing to the radio or streaming music from your phone, you’re out of luck.
We had a CR-V, and the commands would come out of the speakers, but at very low volume. Once, accidentally, I turned the volume up *while* the command was being spoken and, lo and behold, that was the solution. A totally undiscoverable method. This probably isn't your issue, but thought I'd mention it. I've had a couple people (with various cars) where this "trick" has worked.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We had a Honda CRV (our second) since January this year. The stereo is pretty awful in terms of connecting a smartphone to it. We were on holiday in Devon a couple of weeks back and we prefer Waze to the onboard Garmin sat nav due to the live updates and a much nicer interface. If you want the commands to come through the car speakers as well as listing to the radio or streaming music from your phone, you’re out of luck.

CarPlay? Waze app, handles concurrent music, nav cues, etc.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
We had a CR-V, and the commands would come out of the speakers, but at very low volume. Once, accidentally, I turned the volume up *while* the command was being spoken and, lo and behold, that was the solution. A totally undiscoverable method. This probably isn't your issue, but thought I'd mention it. I've had a couple people (with various cars) where this "trick" has worked.
Unfortunately our issue isn’t a simple as that. It appears to be a poor Bluetooth connection and the fact the system is an old version of Android which we can’t get to update. It’s a 2018 car but the system appears to be the same one used since 2013. It’s just old and we’ve tried the ‘Honda hack’, spoken to various audio experts and Honda. Nobody has an answer apart from replacing the system at a cost of around £1k. Not very tempted by that solution to be honest lol.
CarPlay? Waze app, handles concurrent music, nav cues, etc.
The car doesn’t have CarPlay which is what we want. We use Waze but this doesn’t read directions out though the car most of the time, just when it feels like connecting. Try streaming music also and it’s a complete nightmare.

Been looking at the Peugeot 3008 GT Line as the kit that comes with it puts the CRV to shame for the same price. Our car has gone up nearly £1600 in value since we bought it too so might even get a model that is a newer reg than what we have. Haven’t made a decision yet but the 3008 is looking attractive right now.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The car doesn’t have CarPlay which is what we want. We use Waze but this doesn’t read directions out though the car most of the time, just when it feels like connecting. Try streaming music also and it’s a complete nightmare.

Yeah, I kind of figured you'd be using that if it was available. There are aftermarket head units with CarPlay, but that's a whole can of worms, nothing beats OEM integration.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's amazing how much like a computer vehicles have become, I spent this weekend "updating the cars", both, one to correct a few things, including the backup lines, and another that was an incremental update to fine tune a few things on the way to a much more major update. The Tesla is especially like this since updates roll out brand new media features, UI changes, etc.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Ok a brief flashback to Car [thread] v1.0... or maybe v0.1?

I remember having a couple "pre-owned" orange VW bugs in my driveway up here for awhile... one usually road worthy and one possibly waiting for a little TLC. Like one night I was driving back from somewhere with one of my brothers and the accelerator cable gave it up... 🙀 😬🙄👿

Spent the next half hour curled up on the floor in the passenger side to reach over to driver's side and control a vise grip pliers we managed to get onto the still functional piece of that cable, me listening for the bro to say "pull harder" or "let up, I gotta brake for this curve". Somehow we made it home. My spine was not thrilled by that 40-minute experience.

But the fixes were all like that back then on the Beetles. Straightforward, common sense, not many tools required. An "upgrade" was when the thing rusted out so bad you couldn't find something to weld something else back onto, and then it was time for a somewhat newer used VW bug.

Still I was so impressed by having a "real" heater in my 1980 Datsun later on: I used to turn the heat on during a summer evening ride back from town sometimes, just to feel hot air kick in after a minute. The VW gave off heat only after its engine got hot, which meant in winter I never really had a warm ride home from the grocery store in town in the dead of winter. Good times. 🤣

If I were a little bit younger I'd definitely be a candidate for a car I'd have to upgrade the way you're doing...

Top Bottom
1 2