ICE Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's finally arrived at the local dealership, so I've booked myself in for a test drive on Sunday. It looks even better in the flesh.

Holy shit, it looks amazing, I love the satin looking color on the top car (and the two-tone gray). I guess that's two different trim levels? The lower / lighter silver seems to have a stouter wheel/tire package.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Here's a pretty good article about the Kia flavor of the same vehicle, some good info:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I wasn't sure just how big this car actually was from the pictures and youtube reviews. It's just the right size I reckon. Very roomy inside due to the long wheel base.

The interior of EVs is pretty magic, there's so much with interior design engineering, that has to account for the transmission hump, gas tank(s), the front dash positioning because of the engine/firewall - that's not a factor when it comes to a BEV. Some of it may just be perception but that totally counts :D

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My wife didn't have a problem with comfort in the Ioniq though. So, clearly there is something wrong with me, or these seats were not designed for a 6'3" 230 pound man. I am not sure how a larger person would get on with these seats. Maybe if I had some more cushion for pushin on my back, or I was smaller, I would be ok.
Bolsters are not built for us. :(

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Traded my 2018 Honda CRV EX that I only bought in January for a 2018 Peugeot 3008 GT Line. I did mention in this thread I believe, I was having some radio issues and couldn’t get Waze to work through the speakers due to Bluetooth issues. Anyway, I thought bugger it and traded it in for a new car. The mental thing is I made £2000 profit on the Honda due to the rise in part ex costs. Dealers are desperate for secondhand cars at the moment.

b2dfde1e92faef855071d65ca4e2884f.jpg

3d3b36e444241fb6faef1417e3abc578.jpg

I have to say the drive is lovely. The auto gearbox is so smooth compared to the Honda and the interior is such a high quality. You can tell the same company that supply BMW and Audi now supply to Peugeot. Very pleased so far [emoji1303]

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Traded my 2018 Honda CRV EX that I only bought in January for a 2018 Peugeot 3008 GT Line. I did mention in this thread I believe, I was having some radio issues and couldn’t get Waze to work through the speakers due to Bluetooth issues. Anyway, I thought bugger it and traded it in for a new car. The mental thing is I made £2000 profit on the Honda due to the rise in part ex costs. Dealers are desperate for secondhand cars at the moment.

b2dfde1e92faef855071d65ca4e2884f.jpg

3d3b36e444241fb6faef1417e3abc578.jpg

I have to say the drive is lovely. The auto gearbox is so smooth compared to the Honda and the interior is such a high quality. You can tell the same company that supply BMW and Audi now supply to Peugeot. Very pleased so far [emoji1303]

Good looking car. Peugeot's have definitely come a long way since they were sold over here (the 505). I dated a girl who worked as a receptionist at the Peugeot/Sterling dealership in Charlotte. She was always afraid that one day she would show up and the doors would be locked. They would go days or a week without selling anything.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Back to my car shopping, In case anyone is wondering why not a Tesla. I don't believe that a Tesla Model 3 is large enough for my needs, but also price is a factor. A standard range+ model 3 will actually cost me more than the BMW IX3 in this country, so it's not even on the short list for consideration.

I would've suggested going from a TM3 to a TMY, the latter is shockingly larger, like the rear seats folded down gives you 68 ft^3 of cargo space.

But I get the price issue, and the IX3 seems pretty great, I mean, it's basically a BEV X3. The US isn't getting that model, here it's the iX (based on the iNext platform) and it's expensive, it's really competition for the Model X ($75K+)

Bummer the Ioniq 5 didn't do anything for you, I hadto chuckle at the "hard plastics" comment, maybe my focus is just elsewhere, maybe I don't care, but things like that barely even register to me anymore.

In fact, it's funny how many vehicles we've purchased, without a test drive, heck, without even taking a look at one in person (outside of maybe seeing them on the road).

Seriously, we bought several cars, ordered, had them delivered without seeing it, driving it, we just sort of read up, spin the big wheel, hope for the best :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@theSeb

One thing I have been very impressed with in the Tesla is the seating. It's just the right amount of support, cushiness, a little bolstering that I think would be accomodating for larger people.

And yeah, the M3 has a pretty "sporty" ride (I believe it's about the same as the Y), that I imagine for some could be a little stiff (and depending on your roads, nearing unacceptable ...). I've generally driven sport[y] vehicles, so I kind of expect it, but for someone wanting more of a "luxury ride", it's probably not the best option - unless they're willing to immediately do something like swap to one of the aftermarket coilover products that have a "comfort" option.

My M3 Performance model feels sprung about like a sport package 3-series (even a regular BMW 2/3/4 tends a little towards more sporty). Some things about the suspension are pretty world class, like it uses a double-wishbone in front with a multi-link rear setup - of course like most EVs is has a super low CoG and greate weight distribution (plus fantastic AWD).

Have you checked out the VW ID.4 yet? Or even the ID.3 since you get that model over there (though it sounds like the ID.4 size is more along the lines of what you're looking for).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
@theSeb

Have you checked out the VW ID.4 yet? Or even the ID.3 since you get that model over there (though it sounds like the ID.4 size is more along the lines of what you're looking for).

I don't know about everyone else, but to me a VW just drives differently. Hard to really describe it, but there is just something different about them.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Good looking car. Peugeot's have definitely come a long way since they were sold over here (the 505). I dated a girl who worked as a receptionist at the Peugeot/Sterling dealership in Charlotte. She was always afraid that one day she would show up and the doors would be locked. They would go days or a week without selling anything.

Thanks, yeah it’s a nice drive to be honest. I did watch a review on it a few weeks ago on YouTube by Doug DeMuro and he found it too quirky for American tastes and apparently it’s not sold there at all. Peugeot have a factory in Mexico but this model isn’t sold over the border. In my visits to the US I’ve not seen any Peugeot’s or Citroen’s at all. I’m not surprised they don’t sell too well over there as I’d imagine they are a hit too small for the price.

Top Bottom
1 2