ICE Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, it’s kind of a balancing act, it’s worth a lot less but you’re paying a lot less. It’s not the “value” as that is kind of a wash, it’s the concern about the damage and repair - especially where a frame is concerned, it might never be right, I.e., have vibrations, be impossible to get a good alignment, have leaks, etc.

I’d rather buy some in the same price range that’s higher mileage, maybe not as “sporty”, like a base model Honda Civic.

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s kind of a balancing act, it’s worth a lot less but you’re paying a lot less. It’s not the “value” as that is kind of a wash, it’s the concern about the damage and repair - especially where a frame is concerned, it might never be right, I.e., have vibrations, be impossible to get a good alignment, have leaks, etc.

I’d rather buy some in the same price range that’s higher mileage, maybe not as “sporty”, like a base model Honda Civic.

Back in the days before CarFax was something that cost real money rather than dealers handing it over to you if you ask(not that it necessarily means much) my dad bought an Oldmobile 88 that he absolutely loved. Like a lot of his cars, he bought it 1-year old and most likely fresh off lease. It was I think a 98 and he got it in 99 with maybe 15K miles on it.

In 2 years, he chewed through two sets of front tires on that car. It was the same story every time-the outside was nearly perfect but he'd take it for an oil change and they'd look and say "You know your tires are almost bald on the inside, right?"

Both times, two different shops stuck in on their alignment rack and brought the camber into spec(along with everything else) and pronounced it good to go.

It also had some other funky stuff happen. It ate its serpentine belt at 25K, and he took it to his regular mechanic-an old-school guy who could order GM and Ford parts by number off the top of his head, and could almost diagnose cars by looking at them(plus closed up shop because he didn't want to spend the money on an OBD-II reader back when they were crazy expensive and got to the point where he had to have one). When that mechanic was putting the belt on, he ended up changing a bunch of accessory mounting brackets since apparently none of the belt pulleys were in alignment(hence the premature death) and said "You know that car's been hit bad in the front end, don't you?" With it up on the rack, he proceeds to point out all the collision repair, and also finds-as best as I recall-that parts of it were so badly messed up it would have totaled the car to fix it right such that camber would hold. Bear in mind my memories are fuzzy on this, but basically it was a car that should have been totaled after the accident and instead was fixed poorly.

That one was sold the next week.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure how the laws in your state are, but in WV a salvage title and reconstructed title are two different things. If you have a salvage title and want to convert it to a reconstructed title, you must have it inspected by one of about 12 shops throughout the state licensed to do those inspections. And it might not pass. If it does, you will forever have a reconstructed title vs a regular title. Probably worth it if you are saving half.
It’s a rebuilt title. I spoke with my mechanic who says if the frame was cut and rewelded to avoid it. He may get a chance to look at it if the seller decides to submit to an inspection.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

My grandson wants a sporty car. 👀

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My grandson wants a sporty car. 👀

Then he should buy one when can afford one that's not a disaster waiting to happen. My $0.02

I get it, kids want something "sporty", I mean, it's barely that, it's very small, it's RWD so not sure if it will be driven in ice/snow, it's been tagged at totalled.

How old is he?

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Back in the days before CarFax was something that cost real money rather than dealers handing it over to you if you ask(

I got a Free CarFax when I bought my truck. New! No idea why. I guess the dealer has an account so every vehicle they sell gets one, but it makes no sense.

When we bought my daughter's first car, it was a Volvo XC60 that was almost 4 years old. The CarFax report indicated it had been in a front end collision without airbag deployment. So basically a fender bender. And since it was a CPO, we didn't worry about it. Then about a year and a half in the paint on the front bumper started peeling off. Took it to the body shop and they said since it was plastic, it had to be properly prepped and use a special additive in the paint and they apparently hadn't done that. Hence the peeling.

It’s a rebuilt title. I spoke with my mechanic who says if the frame was cut and rewekded to avoid it. He may get a chance to look at it if the seller decides to submit to an inspection.

This is actually becoming a serious issue for repair shops. My daughter's baby sitter when she was young got married and her husband is a certified Audi welder. He is the only one allowed to weld on Audi's at the Penske Automotive dealer he works for. If they are not rewelded back to spec, if they are in another collision they car may not crumple as designed putting the occupants at risk.

Based on some of the horror stories he told me, I will not ever be buying a car that was rewelded.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s a rebuilt title. I spoke with my mechanic who says if the frame was cut and rewelded to avoid it. He may get a chance to look at it if the seller decides to submit to an inspection.
Good news, the car was sold to someone else, potential bullet dodged, wife and grandson mad at me. (y) :)

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Buy the kid a Honda Civic Sport Hatchback -- fun car to drive, looks sporty and the hatchback provides plenty of storage and cargo space when needed. :). True, it's not quite as sporty as my previous Acura RSX but it's definitely sportier than a sedan!
Been there done that, this time he is saving up to buy a car.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
For those in the wonder ...

At home, we have a 50a/240v circuit, that has a 40a charger installed. On the Tesla, we get ~36 miles/hour.

Today, for fun, since we have 960 miles of free Supercharger miles that need to be used before mid-Dec, I popped over to the Superchargers (at the outlet mall), those chargers, at peak, we're cranking about 410 miles/hour, and they're just Level 2/150kW max, there are Level 3 allowing for up to 250 kW on some Tesla models.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
For those in the wonder ...

At home, we have a 50a/240v circuit, that has a 40a charger installed. On the Tesla, we get ~36 miles/hour.

Today, for fun, since we have 960 miles of free Supercharger miles that need to be used before mid-Dec, I popped over to the Superchargers (at the outlet mall), those chargers, at peak, we're cranking about 410 miles/hour, and they're just Level 2/150kW max, there are Level 3 allowing for up to 250 kW on some Tesla models.

Did a little electrical math here. So at 240V and 40A, that is 9600W. At our electric rates of 11cents per kW/hour, it would cost 11x9.6 =$1.06 to go those 36 miles. Not bad. That is equivalent to a gas car getting just under 102 mpg with $3 gas.

But in the EU and GB, electric rates can be substantially higher.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did a little electrical math here. So at 240V and 40A, that is 9600W. At our electric rates of 11cents per kW/hour, it would cost 11x9.6 =$1.06 to go those 36 miles. Not bad. That is equivalent to a gas car getting just under 102 mpg with $3 gas.

But in the EU and GB, electric rates can be substantially higher.

Yep, that math sounds about right, including the reverse calculated MPG based on $X/gallon of gas (which is a good way to think about it).

The M3 has an 82kW battery, so at (our rate) of $0.10 kW, and then, even assuming only ~80% charging efficiency, that's about $9.80 for a "tank" which should do somewhere between 270-290 miles).

What funny though, is the comparisons to high MPG vehicles, none of which are in the same ballpark performance-wise. That's where EVs are so disruptive - you've got 4-door, super roomy, sedans, getting the equivalent of 100+ MPG, that will blow Mustangs, Chargers, even some Corvettes, totally into the weeds :D (and in the case of the new Model S, or the new Lucid models, are faster than $1M hypercars ...)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
What funny though, is the comparisons to high MPG vehicles, none of which are in the same ballpark performance-wise. That's where EVs are so disruptive - you've got 4-door, super roomy, sedans, getting the equivalent of 100+ MPG, that will blow Mustangs, Chargers, even some Corvettes, totally into the weeds :D (and in the case of the new Model S, or the new Lucid models, are faster than $1M hypercars ...)

Absolutely. One time when we had to drop the wife's vehicle at the dealer, I had to park my truck across the road in a shopping center because I had a 20' trailer with me and there was no way it was fitting in the dealer's lot. So she picked me up and we went over together. Dropped hers off and asked one of the salesmen for a ride over to my truck. He grabs the keys for the Jaguar I-Pace. He asked if we wanted to see how it accelerated and the answer was YES! He floored it when the light turned green and OMG. Damn. My parents once had an S600 (until dad got worried that mom shouldn't have that kind of power (he was correct)) and downgraded to an E550 (it was the power and also she had trouble working the COMAND system) and this Jag blew it away. It had superbike type acceleration. Was very impressed for sure.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Not really a car, but when you wreck or breakdown out in the woods, you need one of these to come get you. It's called The Dirty Hooker.

1630367883077.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Average UK electricity costs are around 14.4 pence or 20 cent per kw/hour. You will be charged less for charging overnight and other off peak periods.

There’s actually quite a few number of options all over the US for time of use type pricing, it’s just not the typical account setup, you have to do a little research.

Here , there’s an option for TOU, fixed is $0.10/kW, the former is $0.03 for the periods, 10a - 6p and 10p-6a, then for those other two 4 hour periods it’s $0.20

JohnR

Tesla & Steeler fan
Reaction score
Something about the yoke is a bad idea etc. I can

so a Plaid owner in Ca told me this when I asked about the yoke now that he’s had it a month:
“I love it--going back and driving my wife's X feels cumbersome at this point. There is still tweaking they need to do on the button behavior and haptics, but I would not go back, even if I got a free replacement”

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
so a Plaid owner in Ca told me this when I asked about the yoke now that he’s had it a month:
“I love it--going back and driving my wife's X feels cumbersome at this point. There is still tweaking they need to do on the button behavior and haptics, but I would not go back, even if I got a free replacement”

And dozens of Plaid owners of the official MB, TMC, Reddit groups continue to say they would prefer a car without it.

i.e., exactly this:

The new Model S (QA issues notwithstanding) is excellent, the Plaid flavor is insanely awesome, there's a lot to like about it, I imagine for people who decide to purchase the new S, for them, the yoke will fall somewhere between an ambivalent "it's OK" and an enthusiastic, but partially confirmation biased delusion of "it's the greatest thing ever" :D

You can love the vehicle while still being critical, where it's due. Like the new 4.0 App, it's a step backwards in a number of areas, I mean, there's a couple of WTFs in the new UI and functional changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2