Today’s Shooting (an ongoing topic)

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
not sure if this should be under Florida kid.

Florida teen allegedly shoots, kills sister after fight over Christmas gifts​

A 14-year-old boy allegedly fatally shot his older sister in Florida after a family argument over Christmas presents, officials said Tuesday.

I don''t want to diminish the tragedy of this story, but what the hell has happened to society? That this sort of thing even remotely enters someone's brain is as tragic as the outcome.

Look I went to school in a time when almost every boy I knew carried a knife, usually a lockback Case with a 3-4" blade or similar. We weren't stabbing each other on a daily basis. HS kids drove their trucks to school with guns in the gun racks in their trucks. No one shot anyone.

Fights happened then as well, but when someone went down, it was over. Either the winner stopped or was stopped by others. There was no kicking someone when they were on the ground and people didn't stand around just filming it. When it got too bad, it was stopped.

What happened?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What happened?

Too many easy to acquire guns out there in the hands of people who shouldn't own them.

And with that, people who wouldn't normally need or even want a gun, now need to own a couple to protect them and their family from the above.

Well-played, NRA.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Too many easy to acquire guns out there in the hands of people who shouldn't own them.

I agree with that 100%. But I don't think restricting them from people that don't fall into this category is the answer.

People who use guns or are caught with a gun they shouldn't have need to face serious jail time and not have their case pled down and walk in a few months.

And with that, people who wouldn't normally need or even want a gun, now need to own a couple to protect them and their family from the above.

Or protect themselves in general. I know many here will dismiss this, but crime is increasing and people want to be able to protect themselves. It is wild to watch that every time there is a mass shooting (a real one, not some statistical one) and the D's start talking about banning guns, sales increase. And minorities are buying guns in record numbers because the police can't keep their neighborhoods safe. I assure you this is not an R issue. The D's and their "Defund the Police" has caused it.

Agree or not, I don't care. I do find it interesting that many on here will dispute some of the news reports coming out of major cities, but for those who have to live it, the reality is different.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The D's and their "Defund the Police" has caused it.

"Defund the Police" of course is silly and was never a call to disband police departments. Sadly, that's something the Rs keep insisting is the case and thus has propagated through the media.

It's about reallocating/redistributing police budgets to better serve communities, as needed.

For example, when a person is suffering a mental health crisis, instead of sending armed officers with little/no training in mental health crisis issues, mental health professionals would be first on the scene (with police backup available if needed) to asses and help with whatever next steps are necessary.

"Re-fund" might have been a better term, but that would morph into Refund the Police in the media, which would make no sense.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And minorities are buying guns in record numbers because the police can't keep their neighborhoods safe.

It's a difficult problem for all.

San Francisco is a great example. They're down around 500 sworn officers, of the 2,200 needed. Despite a starting salary of $103K per year out of the academy, rising to $147K per year after seven years of service. And with very generous benefits, including retirement.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
"Defund the Police" of course is silly and was never a call to disband police departments. Sadly, that's something the Rs keep insisting is the case and thus has propagated through the media.

That is what you see it as. Some of these people actually wanted to disband the police entirely. I'm pretty sure Minneapolis tried to disband their entire police department. If you want to live in a society where there are no police, you go right ahead. I do not.

While I don't think anyone here thinks no criminals should be punished, there are enough that do that at some point we are going to wake up with anarchy all around and wonder how it happened.

It's about reallocating/redistributing police budgets to better serve communities, as needed.

For example, when a person is suffering a mental health crisis, instead of sending armed officers with little/no training in mental health crisis issues, mental health professionals would be first on the scene (with police backup available if needed) to asses and help with whatever next steps are necessary.

For the most part, I agree with the concept. But at the same time, some of these people are violent. Perhaps a 3 person team of which one is an officer ready to step in if things take a turn.

"Re-fund" might have been a better term, but that would morph into Refund the Police in the media, which would make no sense.

Perhaps Re-imagine would have been even better.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
For the most part, I agree with the concept. But at the same time, some of these people are violent. Perhaps a 3 person team of which one is an officer ready to step in if things take a turn.

I like that idea.

Perhaps Re-imagine would have been even better.

That one, too.

That is what you see it as. Some of these people actually wanted to disband the police entirely. I'm pretty sure Minneapolis tried to disband their entire police department. If you want to live in a society where there are no police, you go right ahead. I do not.

As I said above, that's just silly and a creation of people who shouldn't be paid attention to. And certainly not the majority - though some media would have you believe otherwise.

If you want to live in a society where there are no police, you go right ahead. I do not.

If I want to? Seriously? Stop it. This isn't the MR forum. I never came close to even suggesting that.

As an aside... I made a lot of SFPD friends over my years of hitting them up for portraits on the street. I probably have around 100 of them.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
As I said above, that's just silly and a creation of people who shouldn't be paid attention to. And certainly not the majority - though some media would have you believe otherwise.

So should the elected City Council of a major city not be paid attention to?

In the immediate wake of the homicide of George Floyd under the knee of a city cop, a veto-proof majority of the city council vowed to disband the Minneapolis PD and to replace it with new systems for public safety.

They tried, but ultimately failed.

If I want to? Seriously? Stop it. This isn't the MR forum. I never came close to even suggesting that.

As an aside... I made a lot of SFPD friends over my years of hitting them up for portraits on the street. I probably have around 100 of them.

I apologize. A poor choice of words on my part. I meant people in general.

But @Eric has stated on this board he doesn't want to live next to one. So perhaps you and he have had different experiences.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Has any police department (of any consequence) actually been shut down as the result of so-called “Defund the Police” chants?

If so, how many?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
But @Eric has stated on this board he doesn't want to live next to one. So perhaps you and he have had different experiences

I probably wouldn’t want to live next door to one either. To much activity and noise.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
That’s ok, once enough people start getting killed - I mean REALLY enough - we will wake up. May be too late by then, but at least people maybe will stop pretending guns aren’t the problem. Reminds me of a Blues Traveler song..

“The world was our heaven and we did not know there were rules for us to break,
and maybe now we’ll find out too late what a clever hell we can make. Whoops!”

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don''t want to diminish the tragedy of this story, but what the hell has happened to society? That this sort of thing even remotely enters someone's brain is as tragic as the outcome.

Look I went to school in a time when almost every boy I knew carried a knife, usually a lockback Case with a 3-4" blade or similar. We weren't stabbing each other on a daily basis. HS kids drove their trucks to school with guns in the gun racks in their trucks. No one shot anyone.

Fights happened then as well, but when someone went down, it was over. Either the winner stopped or was stopped by others. There was no kicking someone when they were on the ground and people didn't stand around just filming it. When it got too bad, it was stopped.

What happened?

It’s the fusing of gun culture with self-entitlement culture and the evolution of special snowflakes. Believing you are special (for no measurable reason) is no longer good enough. Now you have to enforce being special by accosting people or violence.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying this was when America was great, but we really need to go back to solving all our disputes through break dancing.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go as far as saying this was when America was great, but we really need to go back to solving all our disputes through break dancing.

We will never have a white president again. Could probably get our first full-fledged Asian president though, oddly enough.

Then you’d get the candidate who wants to bring back hoe-downs and line dancing because break dancing is “poisoning the culture of dance.”

“Make The Incontinence Twist Great Again”.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Their supervisor should have gotten a copy of those texts.
Not into turning anyone in, just not my thing. What a person texts on their own time from their own personal device should not be a matter of public record, one should have a right to their own opinion when it doesn't hurt other people, even if it's patently racist.

Top Bottom
1 2