Today’s Shooting (an ongoing topic)

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, nothing will be done. We will talk, we will figure out what happened, talking heads will debate, democrats will be outraged, republicans will be outraged but silent, nothing will get done, each side will attack each other, and I give it six to twelve months before the next one.

I’m going to need an aspirin if I hear republicans talk about “Joe Biden’s America”. We’ve had assault weapons bans before, and Joe Biden, the senate and house democrats are ready to pass a bill. More funding for mental health? I’m sure dems are onboard with that as well. So you could kind of say it’s on House Republicans to do something.

Speaker Johnson, are you listening?

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
Well, nothing will be done. We will talk, we will figure out what happened, talking heads will debate, democrats will be outraged, republicans will be outraged but silent, nothing will get done, each side will attack each other, and I give it six to twelve months before the next one.

You forgot thoughts and prayers, is if that ever helped…

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

The suspect in the Maine mass shooting started making statements about hearing voices and wanting to hurt fellow soldiers while serving at a military base this summer, and spent a few weeks in a hospital … In July, Army Reserve officials reported Card for “behaving erratically,” and he was transported to the nearby Keller Army Community Hospital at the United States Military Academy for “medical evaluation” …

The 40-year-old Card also threatened to shoot up a National Guard base in Maine … Card’s sister-in-law, Katie O’Neill, said … that Card does not have a long history of mental health struggles. “This is something that was an acute episode. This is not who he is. He is not someone who has had mental health issues for his lifetime or anything like that.”

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

The suspect in the Maine mass shooting started making statements about hearing voices and wanting to hurt fellow soldiers while serving at a military base this summer, and spent a few weeks in a hospital … In July, Army Reserve officials reported Card for “behaving erratically,” and he was transported to the nearby Keller Army Community Hospital at the United States Military Academy for “medical evaluation” …
The 40-year-old Card also threatened to shoot up a National Guard base in Maine … Card’s sister-in-law, Katie O’Neill, said … that Card does not have a long history of mental health struggles. “This is something that was an acute episode. This is not who he is. He is not someone who has had mental health issues for his lifetime or anything like that.”
Should he own guns after these mental health events, during one of which he threatened a mass shooting?

Republicans: Yes

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Should he own guns after these mental health events, during one of which he threatened a mass shooting?

As long as he wasn't using the gun while attempting to get an abortion then there really wasn't anything to be concerned about.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

NO!

Again this was someone who had made past threats and was on the radar of law enforcement, yet they did nothing. He should have not been allowed to own guns.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
To the ammosexuals, taking away a man's guns due to mental issues is a dangerous practice to get into. Who gets to decide what constitutes а mental defect? Afore ya knows it, they'll start a-callin' a man crazy just onacuzza he has fifty guns.

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
NO!

Again this was someone who had made past threats and was on the radar of law enforcement, yet they did nothing. He should have not been allowed to own guns.
Can law enforcement legally do anything in terms of taking his guns? If not, why?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Can law enforcement legally do anything in terms of taking his guns? If not, why?
According to this quote from a Boston Globe article, looks like they can in Maine.

Maine has a yellow flag law that allows law enforcement agencies to confiscate guns from those who are a threat to themselves or others. Unlike red flag laws, in which people can petition a court to have firearms taken away, Maine’s yellow flag law relies on a medical opinion before action can be taken.

The use of red and yellow flag laws nationwide would help states begin to make progress on prioritizing gun safety. The laws do not restrict people from obtaining or possessing firearms universally but rather focus on the dangerousness of the person being investigated.
I wonder if he was actually reported to law enforcement when he made the threat.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
I wonder if he was actually reported to law enforcement when he made the threat.

from CNN,
Robert R. Card II … made his troubling statements while he was at the Camp Smith training facility in New York … His command referred him to a military hospital, and he spent a few weeks under evaluation … In July, Army Reserve officials reported Card for “behaving erratically,” and he was transported to the nearby Keller Army Community Hospital at the United States Military Academy for “medical evaluation” …

“Out of concern for his safety, the unit requested that law enforcement be contacted,” said the spokesperson, Col. Richard Goldenberg. New York State Police responded and transported Card to the hospital, he said.

So law enforcement was involved – unfortunately, it was NYSP, whose only association with Maine appears to be eating lobsters and reading Stephen King.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
NO!

I‘m glad to hear you say that, but I really hear crickets from the right. Hannity suggested martial arts as a viable means of defense against an assault rifle. Conservatives want lax or no laws on who can own weapons, other than maybe felons or people under court supervision (who aren‘t Trump).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I'll admit this one hit at little bit harder. At least at first. Initial reports just listed him as a firearms instructor and one of my beliefs has always been that it is not the legal owners who are the problem.

As more comes out, he never should have been a firearms instructor, nor should have been allowed to have guns.

I am fine with restricting ownership with one caveat, Due Process. As long as someone gets a fair day in court, then I'm OK with there being restrictions on ownership.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Way too early to know for sure, but the evidence suggests a strong reason for an insanity plea.

Just terrible all around. This has implications for all of us, time for leaders to lead instead of worrying about their next election.

Top Bottom
1 2