Trump to appear at CNN town hall in New Hampshire

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
No 3D chess from trump. He's just full of himself.

This is worth a watch:

No it's Chris Licht who might think Chris Licht is playing 3D chess - he isn’t and I don’t think he’s trying to. I saw that response from Cooper and I also saw a huge number of CNN staffers and personalities disagree.

1683917737781.png

As do most people in media outlets around the country, CNN fucked up.

1683917898426.png

1683918007989.png

1683918045310.png

1683918172918.png

1683918195811.png

1683918257776.png

Direct responses to Cooper:

1683918380273.png

1683918432090.png

1683918497557-png.23619

I could attach many many more but basically it is almost impossible to find people outside of CNN not calling this a train wreck of epic proportions and even many within CNN say the same.

Attachments

• 1683918497557.png
    1683918497557.png
    454.1 KB · Views: 95

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I could attach many many more but basically it is almost impossible to find people outside of CNN not calling this a train wreck of epic proportions and even many within CNN say the same.

I'm happy being an outlier! As I am not being a member of any political party. :)

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't check out the town hall, but unfortunately every political podcast I listen to, left and right, chose to play snippets. I think there's now a permanent indentation on my iPhone screen from the amount of times I had to hit the 15 seconds forward button.

It seems like there is currently a race between Fox and CNN on who can shed the most viewers faster. Maybe Fox can counter this by giving Hillary Clinton Tucker's spot. I honestly didn't really know what specifically the issues were with CNN before this but if this is their idea of correcting the ship, fuck them.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I didn't check out the town hall, but unfortunately every political podcast I listen to, left and right, chose to play snippets. I think there's now a permanent indentation on my iPhone screen from the amount of times I had to hit the 15 seconds forward button.

It seems like there is currently a race between Fox and CNN on who can shed the most viewers faster. Maybe Fox can counter this by giving Hillary Clinton Tucker's spot. I honestly didn't really know what specifically the issues were with CNN before this but if this is their idea of correcting the ship, fuck them.
Apparently the CNN bosses are reading their own media reporter the riot act because he correctly stated that many within (and without of) CNN weren’t happy with their Town hall coverage. Apparently that’s too emotional.

1683936282015.png

Another bad sign about CNN leadership.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apparently the CNN bosses are reading their own media reporter the riot act because he correctly stated that many within (and without of) CNN weren’t happy with their Town hall coverage. Apparently that’s too emotional.

View attachment 23634
Another bad sign about CNN leadership.

I fully expect Licht to join the ranks of Trump, Musk, DeSantis, and Jordon Peterson. As soon as they are or are told they are wrong about something they’ll lead/rule based entirely on spite egged on by the knuckle draggers who have less foresight than a goldfish.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've seen Chris Sununu a few times now and he's far too reasonable for the current Republican party.

I like Sununu as well. It will interesting if he runs against trump in the primary, and what the outcome is. Would be kind of a last chance to see if republicans can step up and eschew nutjobbery.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I like Sununu as well. It will interesting if he runs against trump in the primary, and what the outcome is. Would be kind of a last chance to see if republicans can step up and eschew nutjobbery.
Today's Republican party has no room for anyone sane, my guess is he wouldn't even put a minor dent into Trump. They've been crashing for years and are still on their downward spiral when it comes to elections, I think they'll need to hit rock bottom before any changes are made.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think they'll need to hit rock bottom before any changes are made.

It's tough to imagine it being any lower than it is now. Disgraceful is much too kind a word.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Depending on who you ask, this report is varying degrees of a burger. The reason I am posting this here is because CNN instantly joined in the voices saying this report concluded the Russia connection was a complete partisan hoax. Coupled with hosting the town hall I think we know what CNN's new direction is.

I recently heard some audio of Trump even clowning CNN before the town hall saying they are desperate for those Trump ratings and that's why they are doing it and maybe this will be a start of a great new era of not reporting fake news, or it could be a disaster for everybody involved including himself. This is probably the first time I've agreed with most of what Trump said in a single statement.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
This thread was written 3 years ago but brilliantly explains why the town hall was so badly conceived and why the common journalistic belief that sunlight disinfects can backfire when dealing with extremism:

A brilliant thread on the problems facing journalists in the Trump era.

And a scathing article on Licht’s tenure at CNN from someone Licht had asked to shadow him:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
ooof not good

To be clear this one was supposedly not Licht’s fault but one of his “lieutenants” who did this without the boss’s approval (supposedly - though Albert’s would know as he was shadowing Licht).

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
ooof not good

To be clear this one was supposedly not Licht’s fault but one of his “lieutenants” who did this without the boss’s approval (supposedly - though Albert’s would know as he was shadowing Licht).

To be fair to Licht, he was handed was a complete shit show from Zucker. CNN developed serious credibility issues under Zucker and his what appears to be inappropriately forgiving relationships (maybe too friendly) with various staff who had very poor judgement and/or atrocious ratings- Tubin, Cuomo, Stelter, Lemon, etc.

I think where people are reading this story wrong is by interpreting it through a purely political lens rather than a financial one. I suspect they wanted Trump on their channel to try to boost their atrocious ratings. I’m sure the only way to get Trump on was to have a supportive audience and more moderate/right host. Trump outrage brought in tons of money for left leaning outlets- as soon as Biden was in office and Trump mostly stepped out of the spotlight their ratings fell off a cliff. I suspect they planned to milk lies out of Trump so they could create a whole news cycle out of it- and thats of course what happened when you spend so much time talking about past controversy rather than his political platform moving forward.

Honestly, Katie Collins rightfully pushed back on plenty of what Trump has to say. There’s no benefit arguing past a certain point. The real problem for most people I think was the reinforcement of the crowd cheering Trump on.

Personally, not airing Trump at all is an absurd decision. He is the leading contender against Biden. The media is supposed to have some degree of objectivity (though the standard these days is almost nonexistent). Not interviewing the man who as of now has a very fair shot of being the R contender and possibly winning the election goes beyond bias and is blatant suppression.

I don’t like Trump, I think his pathological personality traits and likely disorder make him dangerous- as we saw with election denial. We should not have a president who is so self obsessed he cannot accept a very simple truth and would risk inciting civil unrest and undermining the electoral process. Unfortunately I think the incredibly weak Ukraine impeachment, vastly overinflated Russiagate BS, and hysterical overreactions to the most insignificant controversies undermined the Jan 6 impeachment, which should have resulted in removal from office and a ban on reelection. In my opinion, the media is responsible for what I call Trump Fatigue Syndrome - after 7+ years of perpetual hysteria the actually serious issues appear far less serious.

But in a democracy people are allowed to choose their President and have the right to hear what Trump has to say whether we agree with it or not. A CNN interview is not changing the minds of the left or the right, regardless of the audience. It’s not like Trump supporters don’t exist in the real world either. They do. Interviewing Trump also happens to reveal all that is wrong with him. And to be honest, Trump admittedly can be very entertaining in his speeches, but when it comes to interviews he is horribly inarticulate and often says very, very stupid things.

I cannot understand this increasing phenomenon where people demand society be an echo chamber for their ideological beliefs and suppress anything that risks opposing or offending them— the left rightfully gets a lot of flack for this, but the right is very much has similar practices. And btw things are so tribal that increasingly one must subscribe to a nearly monolithic way of thinking or else risk being cast out by their party. I think we’re in a situation where too many people accept what they are told to think rather than to form their own variable and nuanced opinions. Intellectual laziness.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
To be fair to Licht, he was handed was a complete shit show from Zucker. CNN developed serious credibility issues under Zucker and his what appears to be inappropriately forgiving relationships (maybe too friendly) with various staff who had very poor judgement and/or atrocious ratings- Tubin, Cuomo, Stelter, Lemon, etc.

I think where people are reading this story wrong is by interpreting it through a purely political lens rather than a financial one. I suspect they wanted Trump on their channel to try to boost their atrocious ratings. I’m sure the only way to get Trump on was to have a supportive audience and more moderate/right host. Trump outrage brought in tons of money for left leaning outlets- as soon as Biden was in office and Trump mostly stepped out of the spotlight their ratings fell off a cliff. I suspect they planned to milk lies out of Trump so they could create a whole news cycle out of it- and thats of course what happened when you spend so much time talking about past controversy rather than his political platform moving forward.

Honestly, Katie Collins rightfully pushed back on plenty of what Trump has to say. There’s no benefit arguing past a certain point. The real problem for most people I think was the reinforcement of the crowd cheering Trump on.

Personally, not airing Trump at all is an absurd decision. He is the leading contender against Biden. The media is supposed to have some degree of objectivity (though the standard these days is almost nonexistent). Not interviewing the man who as of now has a very fair shot of being the R contender and possibly winning the election goes beyond bias and is blatant suppression.

I don’t like Trump, I think his pathological personality traits and likely disorder make him dangerous- as we saw with election denial. We should not have a president who is so self obsessed he cannot accept a very simple truth and would risk inciting civil unrest and undermining the electoral process. Unfortunately I think the incredibly weak Ukraine impeachment, vastly overinflated Russiagate BS, and hysterical overreactions to the most insignificant controversies undermined the Jan 6 impeachment, which should have resulted in removal from office and a ban on reelection. In my opinion, the media is responsible for what I call Trump Fatigue Syndrome - after 7+ years of perpetual hysteria the actually serious issues appear far less serious.

But in a democracy people are allowed to choose their President and have the right to hear what Trump has to say whether we agree with it or not. A CNN interview is not changing the minds of the left or the right, regardless of the audience. It’s not like Trump supporters don’t exist in the real world either. They do. Interviewing Trump also happens to reveal all that is wrong with him. And to be honest, Trump admittedly can be very entertaining in his speeches, but when it comes to interviews he is horribly inarticulate and often says very, very stupid things.

I cannot understand this increasing phenomenon where people demand society be an echo chamber for their ideological beliefs and suppress anything that risks opposing or offending them— the left rightfully gets a lot of flack for this, but the right is very much has similar practices. And btw things are so tribal that increasingly one must subscribe to a nearly monolithic way of thinking or else risk being cast out by their party. I think we’re in a situation where too many people accept what they are told to think rather than to form their own variable and nuanced opinions. Intellectual laziness.

Well said. And totally agree. I could not hate anyone in the world right now more than trump. But that doesn't mean I don't want to see him covered because I don't like him. Let him reveal to the world what a nasty piece of work he is.

I'm not sure, but I suppose I might feel differently if I was a member of a political party.

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

Well said. And totally agree. I could not hate anyone in the world right now more than trump. But that doesn't mean I don't want to see him covered because I don't like him. Let him reveal to the world what a nasty piece of work he is.

I'm not sure, but I suppose I might feel differently if I was a member of a political party.
To put it mildly: these are bullshit straw men arguments and not reflective of reality.

First, you present a false choice. The choice is not fail to cover Trump at all or give him a klan rally as they chose to do. You can cover him as he is - as an existential threat to democracy who tried to overthrow the government in an attempted auto coup and has promised to purge the government if elected again. These are all things known before CNN’s Trump rally. If any candidate demands that the only way for them to appear on your network is to give them a softball game with naked cheerleaders and no news of their recent guilty verdicts allowed, you say no. That’s integrity.

You say that CNN had ratings problems and had perceived integrity problems so they decided in your own words to:

I suspect they wanted Trump on their channel to try to boost their atrocious ratings. I’m sure the only way to get Trump on was to have a supportive audience and more moderate/right host.

That’s antithetical to actual integrity and guess what? it lost them their ratings too. Far from being in the toilet before and raised by Trump’s appearance, CNN’s numbers are in free fall since the town hall. The link is an earlier post.

So basically everything you guys said is wrong. I won’t cover the rest of the wrongness because that would deserve its own thread, but none of what you said is true. Almost every journalist outside of CNN and a good number within it criticized the integrity of the decision making around the town hall - you yourself admitted they tried to trade integrity for ratings though you tried to phrase it differently. In the end they lost both.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

I can understand Trump being one of the most hated men in America, but the world? I wouldn’t call Trump someone I like, but I think there are definitely far worse people in the world.

Biden is notorious for his public “gaffes” (some of which I think I not gaffes in the sense of unintentional statement/misspeaking than happens to be unfortunate, but rather revealing underlying ideas/biases that are not politically favorable), but Trump seriously does not do well with unscripted Q&A.

Whenever Trump has to defend a political stance, I find it remarkable at how bad he is at reasoning. I often find myself amazed I can steel-man something far better than Trump believes when it’s something I entirely oppose. Then take the “very fine people on both sides”- I actually think he was referring to the people generally opposing the removal of confederate statues (for the sake of historical relevance) as fine people rather than the neo-Nazi people- but his response was so convoluted it sounds like he’s defending the neo-Nazis.

Then there was the early COVID and “disinfectant injection” and “UV light” press conference, where Trump was actually referring to legitimate scientific lines of inquiry at the time. I suspect Trump was told a list of treatments being explored, probably at a 1st grade level of explanation. The first I would assume would be infused antivirals. The latter definitely using UV light inside via a catheter down the trachea into the lungs- which was actually legitimate research and the researchers claimed Trumps comments harmed their legitimacy (very limited studies did show promise). Trump was most certainly referencing things he was told by the CDC, but given his complete lack of area knowledge/scientific literacy and inability to explain things, that joke of a press conference was the result.

Last example that speaks for himself- Trumps deposition in the EJ Carol. My god, it’s almost like he entirely forgot why he was there, to defend himself against sexual assault allegations, not lend credibility to them. I thought such self-incriminating verbal diarrhea in court only happened on Law and Order SVU as a means to quickly and dramatically wrap up the plot.

The more he talks, the more answers he has to answer, the more he reveals himself. Suppressing him away I think poses much a greater risk. That said, it doesn’t mean giving him all the airtime in the world.

Top Bottom
1 2