Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

D

Deleted member 215

Honestly, I’m hating the notch the more images I see of it.

What excites me most about this laptop is the specs. The laptop itself is kind of drab-looking and the notch sucks.

Still, this is going to be my main computer, so I better like it. ;)

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I’m hating the notch the more images I see of it.

What excites me most about this laptop is the specs. The laptop itself is kind of drab-looking and the notch sucks.

Still, this is going to be my main computer, so I better like it. ;)

Same

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
The laptop itself is kind of drab-looking and the notch sucks.

I'm neither pro nor con on the notch. For me, it's just there. I probably won't even notice it after a few weeks with the laptop. Though I've always like Apple's minimalist, sleek design. It's the antithesis of all those cheesy ass gamer laptops that annoy the piss out of me with all their unnecessary angles, and glowy bling.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It appears that these new MBPs have three separate TB4 buses. That's a lot of bandwidth.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Shame Apple doesn't currently support eGPUs, huh?

Maybe it's a shame. Not sure there are a lot of use cases where it would be worth the hassle given the GPU performance on these things. I suppose there are. Of course, it's not clear that external GPUs would add much, given the memory architecture. And of course you'd need Arm drivers, etc.

Maybe apple will come out with its own little box with a couple hundred more of its own GPU cores on it :)

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Maybe it's a shame. Not sure there are a lot of use cases where it would be worth the hassle given the GPU performance on these things. I suppose there are. Of course, it's not clear that external GPUs would add much, given the memory architecture. And of course you'd need Arm drivers, etc.

Maybe apple will come out with its own little box with a couple hundred more of its own GPU cores on it :)

It seems like such a waste to use all that bandwidth on hard drives and monitors. Plus, even with the GPU power available in the Max, having an external option is always nice to have.

LIVEFRMNYC

Power User
Reaction score
Maxed out on everything except storage on a 16 inch. Only went 2tb on storage. Have to wait a month for delivery though.

Very impressed with the editing test they did in this video! on the 14' and 16'.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Meanwhile I’m still using a 2016 15” like a caveman.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I traded in my 13" MBP M1( base $1299 model) for the $2500 14" MBP at the Apple Store. I love it. The 13" MBP M1 was always meant to be a short term machine meant to dab my toes into the AS transition hence only going for the base model at the time. Main motivation for the upgrade was the screen, ports, and magsafe. I will miss the 20 hour battery life I was getting with the M1 MBP, but watching HDR youtube videos..... Just an amazing display. Going to the 10 core M1 Pro was probably overkill for me given my light use and just needing a computer on the road, but I fully intend to keep this machine for 5+ years much like my 2015 13" MBP that the M1 replaced.

I was debating between 14" and 16" due to the models I would buy being the same price, but no regret going 14". The extra 1" is more than enough while keeping the portability.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, today I received…. the extra USB-c - to - MagSafe 3 cables I ordered. So that’s nice.

Attachments

• 39E54474-CA39-4267-ACB6-9EDB341BE1AD.jpeg
    39E54474-CA39-4267-ACB6-9EDB341BE1AD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Minor MagSafe 3 cable observations

- the braided cable feels nice. Similar to anker or other similar cables, but the gauge is maybe a little thinner than the 100W USB-C cables I have sitting around. Would also be nice if they came in more length choices. Wonder if 3rd parties will join the party (more specifically, authorized 3rd parties).

- color is off-white, and the connector is silver. Would have been nice if they sold space gray versions, for picky folks.

- the MagSafe 3 connector is thinner than MagSafe 2, but the width and length are bigger than the t-shaped MagSafe 2 connectors I still am using for MacBook airs here. I wonder if we’ll see future ipad pros adopt MagSafe 3.

- the individual pins are bigger, and the spacing further apart, then they were in MagSafe 2

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
It appears that these new MBPs have three separate TB4 buses. That's a lot of bandwidth.

It depends how wide of a system bus they have feeding those things.

Minor MagSafe 3 cable observations

- the braided cable feels nice. Similar to anker or other similar cables, but the gauge is maybe a little thinner than the 100W USB-C cables I have sitting around. Would also be nice if they came in more length choices. Wonder if 3rd parties will join the party (more specifically, authorized 3rd parties).

Braided cable is a nice addition, seeing as a lot of my old mac power cords frayed.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It depends how wide of a system bus they have feeding those things.

Braided cable is a nice addition, seeing as a lot of my old mac power cords frayed.
Each bus has full tb bandwidth.

Top Bottom
1 2