Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
For the notchers ...

I don’t get it. What’s the purpose of the “rounded corners” option? I mean, if my background doesn’t have rounded corners, the corners aren’t going to magically be displayed beyond the rounded corners of the screen, anyway. What am I missing?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Well, who's fault is that?

I'm guessing DT?

Totally.

Pumbaa: "DT, dude, I really want one of the new MBPs, my machine is a bit old, I've got use cases/workflows that could greatly benefit from the new CPU and GPU, what do you think?"

DT: "Nah. Screw the elitist, asswipes buying this new machine, you don't want to be one of THOSE people do you?"

Pumbaa: "No, I guess not, yeah, thanks ..."

U

User.45

The more I read about the specs of these machines the more I appreciate them. Like the HDMI port is only 2.0 and can only do 4K at 60Hz...yet again for 4K 120Hz you'll need better cables too and for that you could just do USB-C.

The absence of HDMI was mainly frustrating when you were on the go and quickly needed a HDMI to present. That is solved. The SD slot is the same. It's there not for daily use, but for those few times you'll need it and it will be just fine for that.

Moving the HP port to the left is also a highly needed addition. Dunno what they mean by driving high-impedance headphones. Most don't use over 100 Ohm anymore and for 80 Ohm, even the Air does a decent job, but well it's fine. One thing's for sure, my 2017 iPad Pro's DAC was way superior than my 2015 MBP's or 2020 MBA's so a better DAC in the machine would be a welcome upgrade. But the DAC have never been bad on these machines.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The more I read about the specs of these machines the more I appreciate them. Like the HDMI port is only 2.0 and can only do 4K at 60Hz...yet again for 4K 120Hz you'll need better cables too and for that you could just do USB-C.

The absence of HDMI was mainly frustrating when you were on the go and quickly needed a HDMI to present. That is solved. The SD slot is the same. It's there not for daily use, but for those few times you'll need it and it will be just fine for that.

Moving the HP port to the left is also a highly needed addition. Dunno what they mean by driving high-impedance headphones. Most don't use over 100 Ohm anymore and for 80 Ohm, even the Air does a decent job, but well it's fine. One thing's for sure, my 2017 iPad Pro's DAC was way superior than my 2015 MBP's or 2020 MBA's so a better DAC in the machine would be a welcome upgrade. But the DAC have never been bad on these machines.

Yeah HDMI is really, "Oh fuck, I'm at a presentation, where's my <something_to_HMDI> adapter. Bonus Nonsense: when I would occasionally operate out in the real world, I used to take an AppleTV with an HDMI cable with me, setup an adhoc network, and use Airplay, so I could position my Mac anywhere vs. being tied to a podium :)

I think there's a decent amount of high[er] impedance headphones in the more boutique/audiophile space, that might be commonly used with a Mac (maybe for audio type work?) that are in the 250-300 ohm range (like many Senns) and even my 80 ohm Byers are pretty poorly driven by the built-in headphone ports on older machines (my 300 ohm cans don't even work ...)

Port on the left is great it's the less common peripheral side __and__ the side most (all?) single wire phones use.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Totally.

Pumbaa: "DT, dude, I really want one of the new MBPs, my machine is a bit old, I've got use cases/workflows that could greatly benefit from the new CPU and GPU, what do you think?"

DT: "Nah. Screw the elitist, asswipes buying this new machine, you don't want to be one of THOSE people do you?"

You should have posted this a few days earlier. Would‘ve saved me a couple of thousand bucks. Plus now I‘m one of THOSE people 🤦🏻‍♂️

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Totally.

Yeah, that’s exactly how it went. Sticking to my trusty maxed out Intel MBP (Retina, late 2013) with a broken keyboard.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
You should have posted this a few days earlier. Would‘ve saved me a couple of thousand bucks. Plus now I‘m one of THOSE people 🤦🏻‍♂️
Welcome to the club! "We're one of us!" "We're one of us!"

Plus, now I can make payments on my apple card. Probably should have ordered one of the $20 magic cleaning cloths to round it all out.

U

User.45

Yeah HDMI is really, "Oh fuck, I'm at a presentation, where's my <something_to_HMDI> adapter. Bonus Nonsense: when I would occasionally operate out in the real world, I used to take an AppleTV with an HDMI cable with me, setup an adhoc network, and use Airplay, so I could position my Mac anywhere vs. being tied to a podium :)

I think there's a decent amount of high[er] impedance headphones in the more boutique/audiophile space, that might be commonly used with a Mac (maybe for audio type work?) that are in the 250-300 ohm range (like many Senns) and even my 80 ohm Byers are pretty poorly driven by the built-in headphone ports on older machines (my 300 ohm cans don't even work ...)

Port on the left is great it's the less common peripheral side __and__ the side most (all?) single wire phones use.
It's a matter of taste though. Senn 6xx series are high impedance but very high efficiency so those will be decently driven by most devices. My Beyer 80 Ohms are just fine on the MBA, though I have to have them somewhere at 90% volume and make sure the source volume is normalized to hit the sweet spot.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My 6XXX don't really even work with the headphone port on my '18 Mini, my Studio 80s are a little better, but still way underpowered for my tastes - and I guess, maybe my mediocre hearing ... :ROFLMAO:

I don't recall how well they worked with my '15 MBP, I was most running an amp (and later a DAC/amp) for audio from that machine.

Sounds like there's a notable and welcome improvement with the new MBPs :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
FWIW, I'm definitely in for a new M1 something, just kind of waiting to see what kind if Mini action we get. Though I think I'm about ready to pivot back to a notebook and I would do an M1 Max machine tomorrow if my current machine didn't run so great, and more importantly, I just can't allocate the time for a system transfer __and__ putting together a different/new set of services/tools/VMs/Containers/CHUDs/Mansquitos/Mimics ....

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! "We're one of us!" "We're one of us!"

Plus, now I can make payments on my apple card. Probably should have ordered one of the $20 magic cleaning cloths to round it all out.
Kidding aside, my M1 Max is to arrive around Dec, 15th…

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Well … not for me. Have an upcomimg surgery on the upper mandible, the Mac should arrive just in time so I can bring it to help ease the pain and get some stuff done while hospitalized (for a week)

For a week? You must have a whole bunch of mandible!

Best of luck, man. At least you'll have something cool and new to tide your time with.

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
Thx. Just realized the correct term would be upper jaw.

In all likekyhood won’t be that bad, more like a nuissance really. Had a much worse OP a couple of years ago. In comparison this one is child‘s play. In case everything goes according to plan.

Anyway, lots of time to play with my new toy 😬 Just hope it arrives in time; luckily Apple tends to be rather conservative in its estimates

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Well … not for me. Have an upcomimg surgery on the upper mandible, the Mac should arrive just in time so I can bring it to help ease the pain and get some stuff done while hospitalized (for a week)

Holy smokes, if you don't mention it again, and in case I forget to follow up, best of luck, and positive thoughts for a quick and full recovery.

Top Bottom
1 2