We wouldn’t vote for this guy anyway, but…

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Doesn’t surprise me that racist governor thinks you eat bread on Pesach.

CB1C9746-4C73-4AA4-9E2B-C3A2016503DE.jpeg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Doesn’t surprise me that racist governor thinks you eat bread on Pesach.

View attachment 13275
You mean the same guy who passed a law that allows him unlimited campaign fundraising, but doesn’t give the same right to anybody opposing him?

Basically, the incumbent can get unlimited fundraising, but an opponent doesn’t have that possibility until after the primary declaring them the official nominee of their party. I guess such a law can backfire in the future if the other party wins the race, but such a law (along with voting restrictions) is set up to make sure that never happens.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You mean the same guy who passed a law that allows him unlimited campaign fundraising, but doesn’t give the same right to anybody opposing him?

Basically, the incumbent can get unlimited fundraising, but an opponent doesn’t have that possibility until after the primary declaring them the official nominee of their party. I guess such a law can backfire in the future if the other party wins the race, but such a law (along with voting restrictions) is set up to make sure that never happens.

I haven’t read the law, but wouldn’t a simple work-around be for her to create her own party and make herself the nominee? Presumably she could be nominated by more than one party.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Also, this seems to be an example of bad lawyering. My reading of the judge’s opinion is that if they had asked to invalidate Kemp’s ability to get unlimited fundraising, he would have granted that. Sometimes it’s better to ask that the other side stop doing something instead of asking that you also be allowed to do it. But *always* ask for both, in the alternative.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, look. It’s all republicans who are this deranged. “Hey everyone! Gather around the table for the Passover Seder! Bring on the leavened bread!”

ED676B37-9254-443B-B325-DF79BF41E041.jpeg

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I haven’t read the law, but wouldn’t a simple work-around be for her to create her own party and make herself the nominee? Presumably she could be nominated by more than one party.
It doesn’t work that way.

The law lets the governor, the lieutenant governor, party nominees for those positions and the majority and minority caucuses in the state House and state Senate to form committees that can raise unlimited cash, including during legislative sessions.

So they thought about somebody making their own party to use that law and prevented it. If it’s “bad lawyering” then I guess his own party member, former U.S. Senator David Perdue, has bad lawyers too. Since he also lost the fight to use the same fundraising law. In fact, money he raised couldn’t be used to fight Kemp. It had to be given TO Kemp!!!!

This is a law that gives a massively unfair advantage to an incumbent, and should be ruled unconstitutional.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It doesn’t work that way.

So they thought about somebody making their own party to use that law and prevented it. If it’s “bad lawyering” then I guess his own party member, former U.S. Senator David Perdue, has bad lawyers too. Since he also lost the fight to use the same fundraising law. In fact, money he raised couldn’t be used to fight Kemp. It had to be given TO Kemp!!!!

This is a law that gives a massively unfair advantage to an incumbent, and should be ruled unconstitutional.

So if she forms her own party, she’d be party nominee for governor. Why wouldn’t she qualify?

And i agree it should be unconstitutional- my point was that the judge essentially said he would have found it unconstitutional, but she didn’t ask for that relief. A judge can only grant relief if a party actually asks for it - that’s the bad lawyering.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
So if she forms her own party, she’d be party nominee for governor. Why wouldn’t she qualify?

And i agree it should be unconstitutional- my point was that the judge essentially said he would have found it unconstitutional, but she didn’t ask for that relief. A judge can only grant relief if a party actually asks for it - that’s the bad lawyering.
From the law:

1. the
  2. 14 nominee of a political party for Governor selected in a primary election in the year in
  3. 15 which he or she is nominated, or the nominee of a political party for Lieutenant Governor
  4. 16 selected in a primary election in the year in which he or she is nominated.
The challenger has to win a primary election in the election year. I believe the state sets the date of primary elections: May 24, 2022. So the governor gets 3.5 years of fundraising, and the challenger has to wait until late May 2022.

Blaming Abrams’ and Kemp's lawyers? Come on, man.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
From the law:

The challenger has to win a primary election in the election year. I believe the state sets the date of primary elections: May 24, 2022. So the governor gets 3.5 years of fundraising, and the challenger has to wait until late May 2022.

Blaming Abrams’ and Kemp's lawyers? Come on, man.

Ok re: the law. As I said, i haven’t read it.

And I;m not blaming the lawyers - I’m criticizing them, based on what the judge opined. As a lawyer myself, part of what I do is to strategize and evaluate other lawyers’ strategies. And it’s simply bad lawyering to not ask for multiple remedies in the alternative. If you see a bad law and go to court and say “the bad law should be modified so i also get to take advantage of the bad law,” and you don’t say “but if I can’t get that, then the bad law should be declared invalid,“ then, yes, that’s bad strategy.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, there are Passover cakes, so maybe donuts too. :) I once asked about Passover food at a university cafeteria and was told they had some ham and cheese sandwiches.
There are Passover cakes, but no right-thinking person looks forward to eating them. :)

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Kind of wondering the same thing. I don't really know anything about passover though.

Okay, this ended up requiring more research than I thought. From what little I understand, it's cake made with unleavened bread, usually matzo meal.

So I guess it's kinda like someone took some crackers, crushed them up, then put them in water to make a batter, which is then cooked into a cake, and covered with chocolate. The end result looks a lot like a big Kit-Kat.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
This is why I'm such a huge fan of protestantism. It's a religion that doesn't expect anything of me. There's no ceremony, no special dietary needs. It's just OUR LORD IS RISEN, go find some eggs, then have a beer.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
The end result looks a lot like a big Kit-Kat.

That actually sounds pretty great. Again I don't know anything about Jewish holidays.

This is why I'm such a huge fan of protestantism. It's a religion that doesn't expect anything of me. There's no ceremony, no special dietary needs. It's just OUR LORD IS RISEN, go find some eggs, then have a beer.

Top Bottom
1 2