Weather

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Sad :( there's a lot of discussion around the proper protocols here, you can bet lawsuits are coming.

Thanks to the Amazon workers, a retired NFL player got to fly in (almost) space this weekend! Bezos really cares so much; what a great guy.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The year we had tornadoes here, we got hit the week before Christmas, and another tornado hit further east on Christmas Day. This is turning into tornado season.

Mayfield, KY certainly got hammered. Reuters put up some photos taken by drone of some of the devastation there. There is one of what was a 100+ year old brick walled church with an elaborate structure and a high dome. Some of the walls are still partly standing, but the interior is trashed beyond belief. Below the Reuters pic is one from the "before" era of that church.

First Christian Church Mayfield KY after tornado 12 13 2021. (Reutors drone photo).jpg

First Christian Church in Mayfield before tornado.jpg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Sad :( there's a lot of discussion around the proper protocols here, you can bet lawsuits are coming.

That exchange is heart-wrenching. However, in a tornado, one is not necessarily better off on the road than in a building. If they cannot be arsed to settle with the families, just out of basic decency, screw them, but in truth, I cannot see that they did anything wrong, because, in a tornado there is not really any right thing you can do. I remember driving through St. Cloud one time when the phone blared a weather warning about heavy rain and flooding, and as I watched the ditches fill with rainwater, the phone blared once again with a tornado warning – I asked what one does if there is a tornado and my friend told me, "pull over and lie down in a ditch.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Reading that the candle factory told employees who left they would be fired. :( Amazon has the money to pay settlements, the candle factory most likely does not.

Have some friends in Shelbyville who are living in a doublewide at the family farm while their new home is being built. When the sirens went off, they went into the basement of the new home in what will be their walk-in safe. Hung out for a hour or so until it died down.

lizkat

Reaction score
My heart really goes out to any community beset by the fright and then the horrendous damage of tornadoes that touch down and travel on with the kind of ferocity seen in the southern US last weekend.

I would sure not like living someplace where tornadoes are part of a "normal" range of weather possibilities. It can be really frightening during tornado warnings, even if one does have a safe place to hang out underground, and it must be terrifying to be living in a place that doesn't even have a cellar.

We get a few warnings now and then in the Catskills during summer, but they are usually in late afternoon and they pass in 20 minutes or so. Enough time down in a windowless corner of my cellar to make friends again with the spiders that I've been kind enough meanwhile not to have killed. Just me, the spiders and the sewer pipe nearby if I need something sturdy to grab onto. Counting my blessings instead of complaining always seems like a good idea then. At least I do have that cellar to hide in, even if it's scary to hear the winds and debris flying around outside.

We've had straight line winds come through a few times; I'll never forget seeing 2" diameter pieces of black willow limbs later on that had been hurled like javelins six or eight inches into the lawn in the yard. Real food for thought there, and I've never ignored a tornado or supercell t'storm warning since then. But seeing that photo of a refrigerator parked in a tree somewhere in Kentucky last Friday night was an eye opener of a different sort.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
We get a few warnings now and then in the Catskills during summer,

We've had straight line winds come through a few times;

Same here. The mountains tend to break them up. Every once in a while we will get one going down the river that might jump somewhere, but they are not the monsters the flat lands get.

The only experience I have with straight line winds was the 2012 Derecho. That was enough.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
The year we had tornadoes here, we got hit the week before Christmas, and another tornado hit further east on Christmas Day. This is turning into tornado season.

December tornadoes aren't exactly rare around here. Though seeing a bout as powerful as what we saw last week certainly is.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I would sure not like living someplace where tornadoes are part of a "normal" range of weather possibilities. It can be really frightening during tornado warnings, even if one does have a safe place to hang out underground, and it must be terrifying to be living in a place that doesn't even have a cellar.

You do get used to it after awhile. Around here, when we hear the tornado sirens go off, people take it more as an invitation to COME OUTSIDE AND LOOK, rather than take shelter.

Hell, I was outside looking at the sky just 20 minutes before the tornado hit my town back in 2011.

lizkat

Reaction score
We're getting quite a range of temperatures in December; looks like we made it to the forecast 62ºF for today, which is wildly high for this time of year. But next Monday night's forecast low is way more seasonable, 13ºF. Anyway so far not much need for the parka I dutifully hauled downstairs in November. No complaints...

lizkat

Reaction score
Hey, Liz. Wanna get mad?

Nah, no thanks... y'all can keep the hot weather and those pointy whirlygig things down south for my money.

We did have a passing thunderstorm last week that startled me when two fronts collided around here. This time with a change in weather coming over the next couple days, it's happening more as expected, colder temps just fading in as the wind slowly shifts around to come from the northwest. Meanwhile we're enjoying "leftover Florida" today and tomorrow...

Top Bottom
1 2