Weather

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
It s supposed to freeze here tonight temp has been falling currently at 36F, will increase today, and drop tonight to about 30 for several hours. I have to move some plants in the house today and cover my little Lemmon Tree, which actually has new lemmons on it. :oops: I’m surprised this cold front brought no rain, that is unusual.
We had record-breaking heat several days in December, and now a freeze warning last night.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Last night it was 41º but today it's sinking fast towards freezing, forecast to be 17º tonight. Now where the heck did i put my parka?

Yup. Last night, I had to sleep with the fan on me to keep cool. Tonight? They're saying we could see upwards of 2 inches of snow.

That's messed up, yo.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Hard to say at this point. Last year, we had a fairly mild winter, so it's not a part of an immediately obvious pattern.

The heating fuel guy is gonna wish he worked the holiday weekend to top off our tanks by time this incoming cold front settles in. He could have tooled around town with the window open in his truck yesterday. By Tuesday morning he'll be like everyone else who works outside, suddenly trying to find their long unders, turtlenecks, wool sweaters and insulated gloves. We all really got spoiled by a long, long, long Indian summer.

But you're right, it's only around now that things start to sort out towards what the winter will be like. It's coming on like gangbusters, to judge from the week-ahead forecast at the moment. The cold or some snow is normal, but it's that deadly "wintry mix" that no one wants to see pop onto the horizon. That's the kind of weather a propane gas driver sure doesn't fancy when his route is all up in these wrinkled foothills. Only level spot is back in the depot...

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Sitting here with windows open and enjoying the pleasant 62° temperature, I was truly shocked a little while ago when I started to read The Washington Post and saw a headline announcing that we'll be getting somewhere around 2-6" of snow on Monday. Wait! That's....tomorrow?!!! WTF??? I read the article and sure enough, that's the forecast. Came up out of nowhere, seemingly. I'm not thrilled, although I suppose it will offer a few nice photo ops. It's still warmish and cloudy right now but the cold air will start arriving later and the snow will start overnight so that when I arise tomorrow it may be to a beautiful Winter Wonderland scene or it could be just a piddly couple of inches. My vote is for the latter! Six inches or more of snow can snarl up traffic around here pretty badly and driving becomes downright treacherous because a lot of people apparently do not know how to drive in the snow and ice. Guess I'll be spending another day at home tomorrow when I'd intended to run a couple of errands....

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Sitting here with windows open and enjoying the pleasant 62° temperature, I was truly shocked a little while ago when I started to read The Washington Post and saw a headline announcing that we'll be getting somewhere around 2-6" of snow on Monday. Wait! That's....tomorrow?!!! WTF??? I read the article and sure enough, that's the forecast. Came up out of nowhere, seemingly. I'm not thrilled, although I suppose it will offer a few nice photo ops. It's still warmish and cloudy right now but the cold air will start arriving later and the snow will start overnight so that when I arise tomorrow it may be to a beautiful Winter Wonderland scene or it could be just a piddly couple of inches. My vote is for the latter! Six inches or more of snow can snarl up traffic around here pretty badly and driving becomes downright treacherous because a lot of people apparently do not know how to drive in the snow and ice. Guess I'll be spending another day at home tomorrow when I'd intended to run a couple of errands....
I am anticipating the snow with a bit of excitement as well. I have some ”snow day” projects planned if it happens.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Tons of snow here… city is basically shut down. Some people decided to drive today and now are going to be stuck in their cars all day because a tractor trailer jack-knifed on a major thoroughfare and crews cannot get through to it.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Yikes! Was the tractor-trailer truck on the Beltway or I-95? Or in the District itself? (Obviously I haven't yet looked at today's Washington Post!)

When I opened the blinds this morning I was treated to a Winter Wonderland scene, with beautiful white snow covering everything, including tree limbs and branches -- it was the big, fluffy "sticky" kind of flakes that were coming down, mesmerizing to watch. I didn't have to go anywhere today and the errand that I had thought about doing can easily be postponed a few days; actually, yeah, it'll have to be, as I'm not driving in this stuff! Too many people out there who DON'T know how to drive in snow and ice.

Not sure how much we've actually gotten -- when I first got up it was snowing to beat the band but now it seems to have stopped so we may be done now. They had originally predicted 4-6 inches, but I don't know if we have that much now on the ground. It's the trees which make it so magical and beautiful, though.....but that can also be problematic and the weight of the snow can cause limbs and branches to break off and land on power lines, taking down the power line, too. ETA: Apparently we've got around 8 inches. Power is out in some areas around the region due to downed power lines. I am thankful to still have it here!

Snow Embracing the Tree.jpeg

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Just got hit with a widespread power outage, expected to last until 6 PM.

…it’s not even storming out. What the fuck?

Ugh. Power outages in winter can rank right up in nightmare territory.

Your area is probably paying for sins committed by the weather gods against parts of the grid elsewhere...

Renzatic

Reaction score
Ugh. Power outages in winter can rank right up in nightmare territory.

Your area is probably paying for sins committed by the weather gods against parts of the grid elsewhere...

It was only down for a couple of hours, but I did start to get cold.

I consider that penance.

lizkat

Reaction score
It was only down for a couple of hours, but I did start to get cold.

I consider that penance.

What I dislike is when there's no immediate estimate on power restoration... so I finally decide ok this is gonna be awhile, and I get out extra blankets and a spare laptop with movie purchases on it, and a couple battery lanterns, and some back-of-pantry supplies that don't need heat to eat... and I open the water taps to drip a little bit hoping the pipes won't freeze if the outage lasts a long time.... and about then the lights come on and the furnace kicks in and I struggle to be grateful while being annoyed over all the stuff that I now have to put away and run around closing faucets. File under "First World Problems"...

Renzatic

Reaction score
Jonson creek ready to flood we got 1.6" of rain today so far. it changed a fair amount since yesterday. down to 36 and rain right now.

I thought that first shot was from your back porch. Made me wonder what you were doing just sticking around, rather than running for dear life.

Top Bottom
1 2