What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
U

User.45

But he didn’t reference Prelude in, say, Foundation and Empire. I actually read the original trilogy as a single bound book first, followed immediately by Foundation’s Edge. The only reason I remember exactly is because I read them while pregnant and right after the birth of my son in 1983. The others I read as they were released.
I caught up on the Foundation finally. I'd say it's not too bad and they did take some effort to cover some of Asimov's points. Again, Asimov was a sci-fi purist, very little coverage on emotions or sex (the first two episodes had more talking about emotions and sex than 12 books added together). The story might be headed in a direction that may (or may not) be congruent with Asimov's ideas. But it's interesting that they've consistently avoided to verbalize the Foundation books' recurrent statement: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent". So the jury is still out, I'll say it's enjoyable and IMHO the actress playing Salvor Hardin carries the story on her back like a Mule (pun intended).

Just caught up with Invasion too, and this is where it really stands out. Apple is puritanic AF with both violence and sexuality. This is sorta ambivalent for me. On one hand sure, they try to keep a morally responsible stance, but on the other, without the visual aspects of either it's nearly impossible to capture the complexities that come with sex or violence. It also makes story lines predictable. So...I don't expect Apple to decode the secret sauce of HBO.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I caught up on the Foundation finally. I'd say it's not too bad and they did take some effort to cover some of Asimov's points. Again, Asimov was a sci-fi purist, very little coverage on emotions or sex (the first two episodes had more talking about emotions and sex than 12 books added together). The story might be headed in a direction that may (or may not) be congruent with Asimov's ideas. But it's interesting that they've consistently avoided to verbalize the Foundation books' recurrent statement: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent". So the jury is still out, I'll say it's enjoyable and IMHO the actress playing Salvor Hardin carries the story on her back like a Mule (pun intended).

Just caught up with Invasion too, and this is where it really stands out. Apple is puritanic AF with both violence and sexuality. This is sorta ambivalent for me. On one hand sure, they try to keep a morally responsible stance, but on the other, without the visual aspects of either it's nearly impossible to capture the complexities that come with sex or violence. It also makes story lines predictable. So...I don't expect Apple to decode the secret sauce of HBO.

Apple is puritanical AF? Have you seen See, and how the queen prays to her god?

U

User.45

Apple is puritanical AF? Have you seen See, and how the queen prays to her god?
No but after watching most of Foundation, Invasion, Morning Show, Servant, Losing Alice, I think my sample size is representative enough to make that statement.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No but after watching most of Foundation, Invasion, Morning Show, Servant, Losing Alice, I think my sample size is representative enough to make that statement.

You are just watching shows where the creators are doing what they want to do. If you want less puritanical viewing, watch different shows:

U

User.45

You are just watching shows where the creators are doing what they want to do. If you want less puritanical viewing, watch different shows:

Got it, so I must not be making a subjective statement about ATV+ based on 5 shows, because there's this 6th show that has mAstUrBAtioN?!:) I suspect that you haven't watched Losing Alice...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got it, so I must not be making a subjective statement about ATV+ based on 5 shows, because there's this 6th show that has mAstUrBAtioN?!:) I suspect that you haven't watched Losing Alice...

If the conclusion you are drawing is that ”apple is puritanical af” and you are drawing that conclusion by watching 10 children’s shows, that would be just as invalid as picking any 5 shows where the writers never intended to depict graphic sex, violence, etc. My point is simply that there *are* shows that have featured very explicit sex scenes, scenes of taboo sexual subject matter, etc. Not just See, but even shows like From the Earth to the Moon, etc. You just aren’t watching the “non-puritanical” shows, but the fact that such shows exist shows that Apple is not “puritanical” with respect to TV+ content.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I'll claim ignorance to the books but I have seen both shows up to date. I've really been enjoying Foundation, it's well written and acted, the stories are captivating and it has a really good flow to it.

I don't want to say I dislike Invasion but we binged watched and my wife said "after three episodes we still don't know who's invading", which is a great point. It's a good show but they just keep adding new characters and stories without getting to the point and some of it is a bit nonsensical. I suspect they'll eventually get to it but they're losing us along the way.

Just my .02 on these things. When our free subscription is up I doubt I'll renew. IMO HBO Max is still by far the best out there for the services they provide.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll claim ignorance to the books but I have seen both shows up to date. I've really been enjoying Foundation, it's well written and acted, the stories are captivating and it has a really good flow to it.

I don't want to say I dislike Invasion but we binged watched and my wife said "after three episodes we still don't know who's invading", which is a great point. It's a good show but they just keep adding new characters and stories without getting to the point and some of it is a bit nonsensical. I suspect they'll eventually get to it but they're losing us along the way.

Just my .02 on these things. When our free subscription is up I doubt I'll renew. IMO HBO Max is still by far the best out there for the services they provide.

I’m finding invasion to be boring. How do you make a show where you’ve got space aliens invading and make it boring? So many cliches…

U

User.45

If the conclusion you are drawing is that ”apple is puritanical af” and you are drawing that conclusion by watching 10 children’s shows, that would be just as invalid as picking any 5 shows where the writers never intended to depict graphic sex, violence, etc. My point is simply that there *are* shows that have featured very explicit sex scenes, scenes of taboo sexual subject matter, etc. Not just See, but even shows like From the Earth to the Moon, etc. You just aren’t watching the “non-puritanical” shows, but the fact that such shows exist shows that Apple is not “puritanical” with respect to TV+ content.
When sexual activity covers let's say 5-10% of the episode's time but they also make it sure that it stays PG13 is just ridiculous and when this repeatedly happens in multiple shows, it gives off a vibe of external executive decisions... Are you always this condescending?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User.45

my wife said "after three episodes we still don't know who's invading", which is a great point. It's a good show but they just keep adding new characters and stories without getting to the point and some of it is a bit nonsensical.
Agree. The template wasn't great to start with. There was one exchange that made me cringe.
They are at the doctor's office and the lady is asked:
- Are you a doctor?
- No, but I did go to medical school.
- Which one?
- Harvard. You?
- Hofstra... Anyway...
In reality, most such conversations usually unfold as "I trained in Boston".

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
When sexual activity covers let's say 5-10% of the episode's time but they also make it sure that it stays PG13 is just ridiculous and when this repeatedly happens in multiple shows, it gives off a vibe of external executory decisions... Are you always this condescending?:)

I’m really not sure what you are talking about. Nobody would call “See” PG13. Nor “From Earth to the Moon.” Hell, even Ted Lasso is too adult for me to let my kid watch it.

U

User.45

I’m really not sure what you are talking about. Nobody would call “See” PG13. Nor “From Earth to the Moon.” Hell, even Ted Lasso is too adult for me to let my kid watch it.
Got it, your sample is better so we shall ignore everything else. This was a great discussion, thank you!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Got it, your sample is better so we shall ignore everything else. This was a great discussion, thank you!
All samples are equal, but some samples are more equal than others.

So many Apple shows I had neither watched nor read up on, plenty of enlightening info. 😊

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
We started the 2nd season of Locke and Key, and my wife is still on the Good Witch.

I was really bothered by the age difference, but between the witch and the doctor, the actors are only 8ish years apart. Plastic surgery, or just good/bad genes?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just caught up with Invasion

So far I’m loving Invasion. Only saw two episodes, didn’t see a third available after watching the second, but I will look for it, for sure.

We started the 2nd season of Locke and Key
My daughter and I have spent the entire day binging the second season of Locke and Key. I didn’t expect it to be as good as it is! Daughter finished a few hours ago, and I’m heading to the finish line now.

U

User.45

All samples are equal, but some samples are more equal than others.

So many Apple shows I had neither watched nor read up on, plenty of enlightening info. 😊
Some samples definitely are more representative. For example, Losing Alice is (supposed to be) an erotic thriller.

So far I’m loving Invasion. Only saw two episodes, didn’t see a third available after watching the second, but I will look for it, for sure.
I'll say it's the kind of series where you'll need 4-5 episodes to have an idea whether it's worth watching.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finished the second season of The Other Two on HBO Max. It was the best episode of the series. This show is way overlooked; really hoping it gets another season.

edit: Turns out it’s been renewed! Woohoo!

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll say it's the kind of series where you'll need 4-5 episodes to have an idea whether it's worth watching.
I’m hooked after only two. This is not your typical alien invasion story.
Finished the second season of The Other Two on HBO Max. It was the best episode of the series. This show is way overlooked; really hoping it gets another season.

edit: Turns out it’s been renewed! Woohoo!
Never heard of it. What’s it about?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m hooked after only two. This is not your typical alien invasion story.

Never heard of it. What’s it about?
A brother and sister have a much younger brother who’s a Justin Bieber type, wildly successful compared to them. Their mother is played by Molly Shannon. The show’s creators are two SNL head writers.

It was originally a Comedy Central show, then HBO Max acquired it for the second season and I can see why. Just great characters, funny as hell and gets better as it goes, especially season 2.

U

User.45

A brother and sister have a much younger brother who’s a Justin Bieber type, wildly successful compared to them. Their mother is played by Molly Shannon. The show’s creators are two SNL head writers.

It was originally a Comedy Central show, then HBO Max acquired it for the second season and I can see why. Just great characters, funny as hell and gets better as it goes, especially season 2.
It definitely had some funny moments that made me laugh. It’s a good watch for when you want something relaxing even when you’re too tired to think.

Top Bottom
1 2