What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
For those that have never checked out Fargo (TV series), it’s an anthology so the seasons don’t connect to each other in important ways. I’ve watched them all and the season I keep coming back to is 2. I’d nominate it as the best season of television ever. None of the episodes are duds. Casting is incredible and picking a favorite character is tough. Very re-watchable.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the books, there are two robot protagonists, Giskard who is very much robot-like inside out and Daneel who is absolutely human-like and can blend in 100%. One of the twists in the books was that (vague recollection) for Foundation to work out Giskard operated in the Empire's end, and Daneel on the Foundation end and it turned out that without their interventions the Foundation could not have worked. Daneel is Rayshard as Daneel Rayshard Olivaw. They try to distract by making it look like Rayshard killed Seldon. Since these robots can live for millennia, Asimov used them to mend all the stories in the Robots and Foundation universe together through them and the producers of the show would be foolish not to do the same.

AFAIR they also needed telepaths for all of this to work out. One of the later books chronicles The Mule a legendary telepath in the interregnum era, and the other twist is that it turns out to be Salvor Hardin. Here, they essentially said it in the first episode.
I think you nailed it.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to seeing the show, but now after the first episodes… FFS, give us more action and ease up on the drama side stories…

Another episode consumed with hardly any alien traces. If this is a build-up, it’s a long one.

U

User.45

Another episode consumed with hardly any alien traces. If this is a build-up, it’s a long one.
It's a bad, uninteresting format. If you spend 4 episodes building up your characters it means that they have plot armor that kills all suspense. Definitely none of the main characters can die until at least all plots converged. Since personal losses are already central in the JASA plot I doubt there's even a relevant side character dying anytime soon, which will keep everything painfully PG13.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Fortunately, they’re doing it well. And not overdoing it. You can easily keep track of the cast. So what’s in the bag the little boy (Lucas?) has that he wouldn’t let his sister touch?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just watched the first episode of the reboot of the 4400. I very much enjoyed the original series. Looks like they’ve beefed it up with plenty of political undertones this time around.

They advertised it as the reappearance of “marginalized” people, but unless they introduce some new characters they may as well have just said Black. No indigenous people, no Asians….

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Fortunately, they’re doing it well. And not overdoing it. You can easily keep track of the cast.

I disagree. They're building deep, rich characters that have no reason to be on screen except to do more character building. You can have the most interesting characters in the world. But unless they're actually doing something to progress a story, it's not super entertaining. They putting the pieces on the board, but they're not really moving them around in interesting ways. Just making sure each piece is setup exactly perfect in its designated spot. :sleep:

The longer they draw this out, the less interested I'm becoming. Foundation on the other hand is having the opposite effect. I'm finding myself wanting to go back right now and rewatch episodes just to help put it all together. I've never read the books and have been avoiding most of the comments here about it. But I'm totally digging on it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I disagree. They're building deep, rich characters that have no reason to be on screen except to do more character building. You can have the most interesting characters in the world. But unless they're actually doing something to progress a story, it's not super entertaining. They putting the pieces on the board, but they're not really moving them around in interesting ways. Just making sure each piece is setup exactly perfect in its designated spot. :sleep:

The longer they draw this out, the less interested I'm becoming. Foundation on the other hand is having the opposite effect. I'm finding myself wanting to go back right now and rewatch episodes just to help put it all together. I've never read the books and have been avoiding most of the comments here about it. But I'm totally digging on it.
I am also enjoying Foundation. One of the best things on Apple TV+.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score

Same thoughts here. And oh are some of these storylines boring (Japanese love, breaking up family, school trip). Give me Independence Day and not slow moving body snatchers!

Foundation is great for someone like me who hasn’t read the books.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Same thoughts here. And oh are some of these storylines boring (Japanese love, breaking up family, school trip). Give me Independence Day and not slow moving body snatchers!

Foundation is great for someone like me who hasn’t read the books.

Yes. In the most recent episode, I thought asshole husband couldn't sink any lower. The correct answer was "yes, he can". What the hell does that have to do with aliens attacking earth?

From watching this show, I'm starting to believe the strategy for defeating the aliens are to simple ignore them and bore everyone to death. If the show get cancelled early, they're going to save a bundle on special effects!

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Yes. In the most recent episode, I thought asshole husband couldn't sink any lower. The correct answer was "yes, he can". What the hell does that have to do with aliens attacking earth?

From watching this show, I'm starting to believe the strategy for defeating the aliens are to simple ignore them and bore everyone to death. If the show get cancelled early, they're going to save a bundle on special effects!

What‘s worse is that none of these people could possibly be of any use in defeating or even fighting against the aliens unless they have magic powers. So, of course, the show is going to give them magic powers.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
At this point I’m speculating that the two boys will wind up working with/for the aliens, exacting revenge on those who caused them discomfort (other children or father). The Japanese scientists will have to figure things out - looks like the father of the dead astronaut already has an idea. No clue how the soldier fits in at this point. But I’m willing to stick it out. Evidently I have more patience for a good story than the rest of you. 😝

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Jetson’s (1962-1963 on HBO)- Fun, nostalgic. :)

4DB8A70D-FF13-4ECA-A0B3-BA5CBEFD9DCB.jpeg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anybody watching Dopesick on Hulu? I really didn’t know much about the OxyContin story but this is blowing my mind. Good show.

Top Bottom
1 2