What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Station Eleven probably next in my too-long queue as well.

Meanwhile finally got around to finishing rewatch of The Crown. Hah, I bumped into this Aussie cat tweet while I was watching the episode where the then prime minister of Australia was thinking to withdraw from the Commonwealth but is foiled bc his constituents' socks have been charmed off them by Princess Di and her then infant son William as they and Prince Charles toured the country.

I'm 3 eps in on Station 11 and it's getting interesting; very different kind of show.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Station Eleven (HBO) generally speaking is not the type of story telling I prefer. This post apocalyptic show about the aftermath of a world wide killer flu is slow with (so far 4 episodes) almost total focus on the experience of the character, a lot of situational pressure and the emotions of the world is falling apart, with a bit too much past life for at least one of the characters. It is still interesting to watch the transistion into this new life for the primary character, but imo for more than one character it approaches overkill, unless this is what the story wants to be about.

Of note, in contrast to the other post apocalyptic shows I’ve watched, the setting is eerily serene vs general conflict, although they are not in the city and the main character always walks around equipped with a knife ready for trouble. It appears that the vast majority of people died.

With 10 episodes, in episode 3 an event takes place with a stranger, someone known as the Prophet, that becones serious in episode 4. As far as I’ve gotten, this seems to be a growing conflict something other than watching the post apocalyptic lives of “the traveling symphony”. So I like the portrayal and the atmosphere and because it is mini-series I can make it though and see if this becomes noteworthy.

D

Deleted member 215

I've been watching Yellowjackets. Boy is this show disturbing/creepy/fucked up. I have no idea where it's all headed, but I know it's nowhere good. I haven't been this glued to a show in a while, so I would recommend it to anyone who likes this kind of psychological/survival/mystery stuff.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Excellent documentary about Calamity Jane: Legend of the West on Amazon Prime which shows that the producers of Deadwood (HBO) did their homework. :D

D0DE07E5-9B7B-4A8A-A7C1-85682350B57C.jpeg
CCBC00CA-60F2-46CD-A4D0-E00EC2DD7969.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Grantchester (2014- ) watched in the States on PBS, seasons 1-5 on Amazon Prime. We lost track of this series about season 3, like local PBS stopped carrying it, or maybe when we were moving from cable. Anyway, now we are going to catch up starting over at the beginning. I love the post WWII rural setting in England atmosphere in this series and a minister whose hobby is solving murders, with his friend the police inspector, while second guessing why he let his love slip away.

39023A84-A17F-4794-8ECF-0F088F6CED78.jpeg

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I caught the first episode of Peacemaker (HBO).

I threw it back.

Cena plays the character's stupid sincerity well enough. But nothing in the plot caught my interest. And not one attempted joke in the entire 48 minutes landed.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I caught the first episode of Peacemaker (HBO).

I threw it back.

Cena plays the character's stupid sincerity well enough. But nothing in the plot caught my interest. And not one attempted joke in the entire 48 minutes landed.

After watching the second Suicide Squad movie, I didn't even nibble on the Peacemaker.

It's sad because John Cena can be funny.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So we wanted to start Ozarks S04 when it drops, I feel like it's going to be hard to avoid spoilers, however, we're behind and haven't seen much of S03, so we searched up some recaps :)

There's an offical recap from Netflix, for S01 is was pretty good, loved it was narrated by Ruth, but short. The S02 was a less structured, also short so we decided to try "3rd party" :D

This one from Man of Recaps:

Is excellent!

It's super information dense, very well edited, covers every plot thread, the guy's writing is tight, clever, funny, his delivery is fast while being very clear and easy to follow (I'm into the "speed speaker" style). Hahaha, he's a touch goofy, but it's charming in its own way. He covers the first three seasons, but keeps each in a sandbox, so you can shut down at the last season you've seen and not get any spoilers.

I looked at a couple of other, but they were slow, poorly edited, rambling and my #1 peeve: get to the actual meaningful content before 30 seconds,otherwise, fuck you. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So we wanted to start Ozarks S04 when it drops, I feel like it's going to be hard to avoid spoilers, however, we're behind and haven't seen much of S03, so we searched up some recaps :)

There's an offical recap from Netflix, for S01 is was pretty good, loved it was narrated by Ruth, but short. The S02 was a less structured, also short so we decided to try "3rd party" :D

Is excellent!

It's super information dense, very well edited, covers every plot thread, the guy's writing is tight, clever, funny, his delivery is fast while being very clear and easy to follow (I'm into the "speed speaker" style). Hahaha, he's a touch goofy, but it's charming in its own way. He covers the first three seasons, but keeps each in a sandbox, so you can shut down at the last season you've seen and not get any spoilers.

I looked at a couple of other, but they were slow, poorly edited, rambling and my #1 peeve: get to the actual meaningful content before 30 seconds,otherwise, fuck you. :)

We could not complete Ozark Season 1.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing recommendations here and the other place for content that ranges from does not click (for me) to it really sucks and it‘s almost a duty to express a contrary opinion when it applies. No hard feelings I hope and yes I’ve been on the other end. :)

A recent one was 30 Days of Night, described as a good movie, a comparison was made with The Thing, but no way and I thought it sucked.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ted Lasso sure cleaned up at the Emmy's. Really loving that show.

But something occurred to me that is a bit depressing. When channel surfing I will stop on shows like Cheers or Seinfeld or Friends and watch a few minutes. Not sure we will ever get that with Ted Lasso. Jason Sudekis planned for a 3 season run which at 10 eps a season won't be enough to get it into syndication. And I won't flip over to ATV+ just to watch it when I have a few minutes. So I probably won't ever see it again after we watch it. And that is a bit sad.
Seinfeld (1989-1998)- Great comedy streaming on Netflix! :)

5F4137F1-B0AB-43FD-8C90-44B81CDA7852.jpeg

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have the entire series in a box set. Of VHS tapes. :eek:

I always found VHS too temporary and didn't see the point in buying them. I'd just rent stuff. But I jumped in with both feet on DVD/Blu-ray/4K. And even some HDDVD. I've reached the point in collecting that I've stopped counting (before we moved, it was 5 bookcases of movies and 2 of tv). Now I've finally reached the "am I ever going to watch this again?" stage. Eventually I'll get to the "it needs to go" stage. But I'm a packrat. So it will be a while yet.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score

Is excellent!

A good reminder, I’m looking forward to the new season too.

Top Bottom
1 2