What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We finally started Succession. Just two episodes into S01, I see why many people call this the best show on "TV". Spectacularly good.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Boba Fett is fine with me.

And so was The Mandolorian until Pedro Pascal showed up in WW 1984. That kind of ruined him as Mando for me.

Pedro Pascal is great—he's even good in the mediocre Triple Frontier—and he was great in Narcos.

But, WW1984 was just an incredibly bad movie, and Pascal's character was easily the worst part. Just urgh.

The first Wonder Woman was really good—trench scene might be my favorite superhero bit—but the second one was just an absolute mess that made me question the first one's quality.

Honestly, the whole DC franchise is a bizarre mess.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
The Book of Boba Fett. Anyone else think the casting choice is odd for our main character?

No. He's the actor who played Jango Fett, the source of all the clones, and his son—Boba—was a clone. So, it makes sense that he's the same actor.

Boba Fett was just some vague bad-guy with a few lines in Episode IV and an ignominious death in Episode IV. I had no real sense of him until he showed up in the Mandalorian.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Pedro Pascal is great—he's even good in the mediocre Triple Frontier—and he was great in Narcos.

But, WW1984 was just an incredibly bad movie, and Pascal's character was easily the worst part. Just urgh.

The first Wonder Woman was really good—trench scene might be my favorite superhero bit—but the second one was just an absolute mess that made me question the first one's quality.

Yes! The first one was great. But WW '84 was like you noted, an absolute mess.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Also terrific as Oberyn Martell in GOT (aka, "The Viper").

He's going to be playing Joel in the HBO adaptation of The Last of Us (a Sony Playstation zombie apocalypse game). And another GOT actor, Bella Ramsey who played Lyanna Mormont is going to be Ellie (the other major character).

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score

But, uh, Gal Gadot. We watched it last weekend. The making of helped me really appreciate the effort they put into something, well, meh. Also, I love Kristen Wiig: good, bad, funny or naughty.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
But, uh, Gal Gadot. We watched it last weekend. The making of helped me really appreciate the effort they put into something, well, meh. Also, I love Kristen Wiig: good, bad, funny or naughty.

Gadot is pretty good as WW, and I really liked Kristen Wiig—even if her character arch was so obvious, it was painful. But, the plot, especially the B-plot was just so bad.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Gadot is pretty good as WW, and I really liked Kristen Wiig—even if her character arch was so obvious, it was painful. But, the plot, especially the B-plot was just so bad.

[From an old post of mine]

Possibly the worst thing about WW84 was how they chose to bring Steve back. It’s not like they were trying to be science-y (ex: consciousness stored in a computer and need “host body”), it was literally ++magic++. Poof him into existence, poof him back out.

It’s not like anyone would come running up, “OMG, you’re Steve Trevor, didn’t you die!”, and they still could’ve done a cutsie “Let’s go shopping!” bit if they wanted him to try on different clothes.

FFS, part of me thinks some of the motivation was to do the little thing at the end where she and the dude’s body (with him actually in it) share a little smile (oh, how sweet, she may have found love again ...)

Speaking of the dude’s body, what exactly happened at the end? Steve ducks behind a column, she goes running off, and, what? The guy wakes up there? His body teleports back to his apartment? Time and space just rewind like nothing actually happened? Hahaha, I don’t even remember the movie :D

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Couple of things.

First, The Amazing Race came back last night. Not sure how it is all working because Phil said they had to scrap this season after the 3rd leg because of COVID. So that should have been around March 2020. By then a couple of teams would have been eliminated, but they started with 11 this time so no idea of if they completely scrapped the original 3 legs and started over or what. From the foliage on the trees, it looks like it was filmed late spring/early summer.

But the facepalm moment of the first leg was when they were given a clue to find the Queen and Boris Johnson eating at a little restaurant. At least 4 of the 11 teams seemed to think she was the actual Queen. SMDH!

Second, I know it is juvenile, but BattleBots comes back tonight. For some reason watching a 250lb radio controlled fighting robot get launched into the air is just fun. And since we will be snowed in tonight, that is what I will be watching.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Rewatching The Crown. Delicious. All the fault of @Scepticalscribe's mention of it on these boards.

As usual when I watch episodes of that series, I never skip the intro because of liking to analyze that theme music... wow what a compellingly made-for-royal-drama-TV construction THAT is... and all that molten gold and abstract filigree floating about in the opening is very fun too. It makes me start thinking about some new earrings. Totally absurd since I rarely even wear my old ones.

Anyway it's fun to watch this series again, there are parts I had half-watched the first time while sewing (a rudely bad habit of mine, I suppose, while watching video), and at least on this run-through I seem to be glancing up at different points because there are costumes I missed earlier. I don't mean to derogate the show, it's well done and has ended up as worthwhile television. TV that sends me to review history texts of times I have lived through but had heretofore not paid much attention to is always a plus.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We finally started Succession. Just two episodes into S01, I see why many people call this the best show on "TV". Spectacularly good.

It gets much better.

That's what I hear! I've followed a lot of [spoiler-free] critical discussion, especially on podcasts.

Finished S01, started S02, two EPs in, but let me take moment on the S01 finale.

JFC.

Seriously, this is the best drama (technically a "comedy-drama") on TV, this is in Sopranos, The Wire, Better Call Saul level of good. That final EP of Season 1 won the Emmy the year it aired, not surprised.

Watch this - if you can - now.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Finished S01, started S02, two EPs in, but let me take moment on the S01 finale.

JFC.

Seriously, this is the best drama (technically a "comedy-drama") on TV, this is in Sopranos, The Wire, Better Call Saul level of good. That final EP of Season 1 won the Emmy the year it aired, not surprised.

Watch this - if you can - now.
The season 2 finale, and (I think) season 3, episode 9 are my two favorite eps. If you think of it, LMK how you like those.

U

User.45

The season 2 finale, and (I think) season 3, episode 9 are my two favorite eps. If you think of it, LMK how you like those.
By season 3 I got increasingly annoyed by the characters, but it's because the writing is acting is so believable. You feel like you want to punch everybody in the face. Except for Greg. I probably couldn't reach him, he's like 6'8"

Top Bottom
1 2