What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Succession S02E04
Safe Room

Gerri and Rom on the phone, hahahaha, OMG.

If I'm being honest, yes please, Gerri is __hot__ :p

So many amazing things in the episode I can barely get my head around it.

Tom:

“You’re a fucking slime ball”

“Good boy.”

:ROFLMAO:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Succession S02E04
Safe Room

Gerri and Rom on the phone, hahahaha, OMG.

If I'm being honest, yes please, Gerri is __hot__ :p

So many amazing things in the episode I can barely get my head around it.

Tom:

“You’re a fucking slime ball”

“Good boy.”

:ROFLMAO:
Succession is on the Veep level for profane insults. I consider Deadwood to be the gold standard for well-written dialogue.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Succession is on the Veep level for profane insults. I consider Deadwood to be the gold standard for well-written dialogue.

It was just glorious. We did a full rewatch before we watched the movie, and it only gets better.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Succession is on the Veep level for profane insults.

A couple of Scorcese's films, Goodfellas in particular, pretty much inured me to dialogue that includes or even primarily features either profane or obscene language. And that's from way back in the 90s.

I keep thinking that the impact of language in Succession must be stunning if there are still people on the face of the earth over age 7 who are not already jaded by hearing formerly forbidden words and combinations thereof in ordinary conversation.

Personally I've been known to have to try to reserve certain phrases for times like when I drop a skillet on my foot, but I had to give Goodfellas a couple of tries before I could get on with actually following the plot lines.

Sometimes the language was just overkill. It reminded me of guys back in the 60s who came home from Marine boot camp enroute to the Vietnam War, and tried to demonstrate --at the dining table on Sundays, prior to their deployments-- that they were now able to use the word fuck as any component of English grammar and as either a curse or a term of endearment, all in the one single sentence they were allowed to utter before being excused from the table by whichever grandma managed to make that invitation first.

It did occur to me to wonder how the grandmas even really knew that the F-bomb was an entirely optional word in polite company, I mean how they knew that it was an example of "cursing like a sailor". There must still have been some intonation or inflection that gave off the vibe of "not in front of the children, dear".

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Something that's sort of haunting for me: Kendall has a personality like a former long time business partner/friend of mine, and he actually looks like him quite a bit (I mean, he could be an easy stand-in with glasses and slightly different hair).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Succession
Season 2, Episode 10 (season finale)
"This Is Not for Tears"

I just can't even ...

This enters rare territory, like "Ozymandias" from Season 5 of Breaking Bad

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Succession
S03E07
"Too Much Birthday"

We're well into Season 3. Goddam. Fantastic. We're not sure how much more of this we can take, hahaha :D

Finally two EPs queued up for tonight - combined with heavy drinking.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Succession
S03E07
"Too Much Birthday"

We're well into Season 3. Goddam. Fantastic. We're not sure how much more of this we can take, hahaha :D

Finally two EPs queued up for tonight - combined with heavy drinking.
It’s episode 8 I think that’s in running for my fave. Looks like 9 eps total for season 3. Finale is also amazing.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, what a finish to Season 3 of Succession. I can't recommended this show enough (though understand not wanting another streaming subscription to watch it ...)

I have a question for folks who have seen the S03 finale, it doesn't even change the outcome, just sort of changes the level of involvement ...

OK, so now we know where Tom stands with Logan, and his play was glorious.

Here's my discussion point - first to set up the scenario:

KSR are headed to their Dad's place intended to pull the supermajority card, Shiv calls Tom, and we know Tom contacts Logan.

Do you think that:

Version 1
At the point Tom calls Logan is when Logan starts the process of changing the divorce settlement.

= or =

Version 2
Tom calls Logan who simply prepares for their arrival, because as shrewd as he is, there's no way he'd leave that potential blocker on the table.

= or =

Version 3
This is sort of a hybrid version, and kind of my "in head" canon. Logan, aware of the potential supermajority override, had already done the necessary, up front preparation, though assumed he wouldn't need it, since he'd assume that like always, Ken would be inert and Rom would be easily swayed to his side. But Tom's call was to inform him that KSR sound incredibly unified, that this time is different and with that information, Logan pulled the trigger on an already loaded gun.

It's also a little bit of timing, i.e., how long to contact Caroline, modify the document, do a lawyer readthrough, sign, etc. The episode did make the rather length drive to Logan's place pretty conspicuous (it went from day to night), so maybe that was intended to show he'd have plenty of time if it was V1 (he had no advanced intent to change the divorce agreement).

Shiv's comment was also nicely ambiguous, she said, "How did he know we were coming?", that could be taken as either, 1) He expected us to show up, or 2) He knew we were coming as a unified group with the intent of taking over.

Again, it doesn't change the final outcome, it just changes how pivotal Tom was in the process.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Tonight, we're starting Station Eleven ... !

From Wikipedia:

Station Eleven is an American post-apocalyptic science fiction miniseries created by Patrick Somerville based on the 2014 novel of the same name by Emily St. John Mandel. The miniseries premiered on HBO Max on December 16, 2021.[1]

Premise
Twenty years after a flu pandemic resulted in the collapse of civilization, a group of survivors who make their living as traveling performers encounter a violent cult led by a man whose past is unknowingly linked to a member of the troupe.[2]

Reception
Rotten Tomatoes reports a 97% approval rating with an average rating of 8.2/10, based on 39 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Station Eleven rewards patient viewers with an insightful and thematically rich assertion that—even in the post-apocalypse—the show must go on."[15] On the review aggregator Metacritic, the series has a weighted average score of 82 out of 100 based on 24 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[16]

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tonight, we're starting Station Eleven ... !

From Wikipedia:

Station Eleven is an American post-apocalyptic science fiction miniseries created by Patrick Somerville based on the 2014 novel of the same name by Emily St. John Mandel. The miniseries premiered on HBO Max on December 16, 2021.[1]

Premise
Twenty years after a flu pandemic resulted in the collapse of civilization, a group of survivors who make their living as traveling performers encounter a violent cult led by a man whose past is unknowingly linked to a member of the troupe.[2]

Reception
Rotten Tomatoes reports a 97% approval rating with an average rating of 8.2/10, based on 39 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Station Eleven rewards patient viewers with an insightful and thematically rich assertion that—even in the post-apocalypse—the show must go on."[15] On the review aggregator Metacritic, the series has a weighted average score of 82 out of 100 based on 24 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[16]
Is it finished or how many more episodes to go?
Edit, I see it’s finished, my TV Time app says it is returning.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Is it finished or how many more episodes to go?

All available, in fact, the last episode (#10) just dropped today. HBO tends to do weekly releases vs. the whole season at a time, this one they did 3 at once, then 2, 2, 2, and the single series finale today.

FWIW, Peacemaker dropped the first 3 EPs today too. I think it's a smart move to get people hooked, 2-3 EPs on the premier date, then move to a 1 per week.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, what a finish to Season 3 of Succession. I can't recommended this show enough (though understand not wanting another streaming subscription to watch it ...)

I have a question for folks who have seen the S03 finale, it doesn't even change the outcome, just sort of changes the level of involvement ...

OK, so now we know where Tom stands with Logan, and his play was glorious.

Here's my discussion point - first to set up the scenario:

KSR are headed to their Dad's place intended to pull the supermajority card, Shiv calls Tom, and we know Tom contacts Logan.

Do you think that:

Version 1
At the point Tom calls Logan is when Logan starts the process of changing the divorce settlement.

= or =

Version 2
Tom calls Logan who simply prepares for their arrival, because as shrewd as he is, there's no way he'd leave that potential blocker on the table.

= or =

Version 3
This is sort of a hybrid version, and kind of my "in head" canon. Logan, aware of the potential supermajority override, had already done the necessary, up front preparation, though assumed he wouldn't need it, since he'd assume that like always, Ken would be inert and Rom would be easily swayed to his side. But Tom's call was to inform him that KSR sound incredibly unified, that this time is different and with that information, Logan pulled the trigger on an already loaded gun.

It's also a little bit of timing, i.e., how long to contact Caroline, modify the document, do a lawyer readthrough, sign, etc. The episode did make the rather length drive to Logan's place pretty conspicuous (it went from day to night), so maybe that was intended to show he'd have plenty of time if it was V1 (he had no advanced intent to change the divorce agreement).

Shiv's comment was also nicely ambiguous, she said, "How did he know we were coming?", that could be taken as either, 1) He expected us to show up, or 2) He knew we were coming as a unified group with the intent of taking over.

Again, it doesn't change the final outcome, it just changes how pivotal Tom was in the process.

[/SPOILER
My take was that Tom’s call to Logan changed everything.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Edd

Yeah, that's probably what we (the viewer) are supposed to take away.

@Everybody

Watched the first two EPs of Peacemaker, it's absurdly fun. If you liked the vibe of the second Suicide Squad movie, you'll love this.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Station Eleven probably next in my too-long queue as well.

Meanwhile finally got around to finishing rewatch of The Crown. Hah, I bumped into this Aussie cat tweet while I was watching the episode where the then prime minister of Australia was thinking to withdraw from the Commonwealth but is foiled bc his constituents' socks have been charmed off them by Princess Di and her then infant son William as they and Prince Charles toured the country.

aussie cat saw me watching The Crown.jpg

Top Bottom
1 2