What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We know this really can’t go anywhere because of where we start out in episode 4, so I was hoping to at least see some really cool fight scenes or something.

That's always tricky with most prequels, you know who exists in the future, so it really dials down the stakes (and puts a target on the new characters ...).

The Mandalorian was super fun, I started it twice, never made it past a few EPs, and when I finally did I was hooked, stopped, got the wife onboard, we had a blast. Did not even try Boba Fett, there's just so many other good things to watch, limited time, and I figured maybe we'd watch before another season of Mandalorian (as I hear Boba Fett is some rando pointless plot lines + Mando Season 2.5 ...)

I was sort of interested in Obi-Wan, but it would've needed to had some very positive, critical consensus, and I'm mostly hearing what you and other are saying, it's just kind of meh ...

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We watched the first ep and liked it. I'm curious, did you like Book of Boba Fett? I think it was 3 episodes in we dropped it. I found it borderline dumb, which is not unusual for Star Wars.
I actually enjoyed Boba Fett, at least the first few episodes but it got weird when they turned it into more episodes of The Mandalorian.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, Barry is so good, there's a reason it has a 98% / 100% / 100% for Seasons 1-3 on RT. We're not quite through S3 yet, we have EP6-8 on deck for tonight, that will finish up Season 3.

If you don't know the show, it's on HBO/HBOMax, from Wikipedia:

Barry is an American black comedy crime drama thriller television series created by Alec Berg and Bill Hader that premiered on HBO on March 25, 2018. Hader stars as Barry Berkman, a hitman from Cleveland who travels to Los Angeles to kill someone but finds himself joining an acting class taught by Gene Cousineau (Henry Winkler), where he meets aspiring actress Sally Reed (Sarah Goldberg) and begins to question his path in life as he deals with his criminal associates such as Monroe Fuches (Stephen Root) and NoHo Hank (Anthony Carrigan).

Barry has received critical acclaim, with most praise going to its directing, writing, originality, humor, characters, and performances (particularly Hader's). The series has received various accolades, including 30 Primetime Emmy Award nominations; Hader won Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series twice, while Winkler won Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for his performance in the first season. For the second season, Winkler, Root, and Carrigan all received Emmy nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actor, while Goldberg received a nomination for Best Supporting Actress. The show has been nominated twice for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, Barry is so good, there's a reason it has a 98% / 100% / 100% for Seasons 1-3 on RT. We're not quite through S3 yet, we have EP6-8 on deck for tonight, that will finish up Season 3.

If you don't know the show, it's on HBO/HBOMax, from Wikipedia:
This guy….he is everything.

1655234452829.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This guy….he is everything.

View attachment 14939

OMG, this scene in S3, I think it's EP4, hahahaha, where he's setting up "the app" for Barry (spoiler'ed in case you haven't seen it ...)

"Can I share personal information with market research?"

"Sure, why not"

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
In addition to Best Buy I got another offer that was only good for new subs, so I used that one first, then I'll use the BB above (since it works with returning) for another freebie (if that works out, it's 6 months, 2 weeks for free :D)

Anyway, checked out the David Attenborough hosted (produced by Jon Favreau) Dinosaur show, Prehistoric Planet Wow! It's pretty spectacular, they worked with a team of paleontologists to design the visualiations/models/behaviors, so they're supposed to be very biologically accurate. Beautiful 4K, and got the sub just in time for some dino-rumbling :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Season finale of Barry, holy hell. We kind of sat in stunned silence :oops: Next season will be very interesting to say the least.

The Prestige TV podcast (on The Ringer network) had Bill Hader on to talk about the Season 3 finale, where the show might be headed, etc., hosted by one of my fave Ringer hosts, Sean Fennessey:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The last two evenings I binged season 2 (final season) of The Bureau of Magical Things. I just can’t help liking that genre: magic and teens.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The last two evenings I binged season 2 (final season) of The Bureau of Magical Things. I just can’t help liking that genre: magic and teens.

Did you watch The Magicians? I liked the few episodes of S01 I watched, I understand it really improved in S02, then got amazing by S03. It also appears to have had a proper series finale (5 seasons), so maybe I'll wade back into it.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Did you watch The Magicians? I liked the few episodes of S01 I watched, I understand it really improved in S02, then got amazing by S03. It also appears to have had a proper series finale (5 seasons), so maybe I'll wade back into it.
We watched The Bureau and The Magicians, although I don't know that we finished Magicians. It reminds me a lot of the Shannarra series where the books were fun, but the shows were just loosely based on them.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
In addition to Best Buy I got another offer that was only good for new subs, so I used that one first, then I'll use the BB above (since it works with returning) for another freebie (if that works out, it's 6 months, 2 weeks for free :D)

Started Severance, and wow. Probably watching EPs 3 and 4 tonight!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Two episodes in to the Outer Range and feel like I'm watching some Twin Peaks Sci Fi Western hybrid.

It looks fun, love Josh Brolin, Lili Taylor, Tom Pelphrey was so good in Ozark, the concept is right up my alley - I guess I'm waiting to see how the show pans out in terms of additional seasons (some of these high concept sci-fi-ish type shows seem to get canceled too often).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That was an amazing series and the finale was perfection.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Finished Severance, just fantastic. Hahaha, I mistakenly thought there was only 8 EPs, so you can imagine my reaction when I thought the cut to black at the end of that episode was the season finale :ROFLMAO:

I mean, the actual final episode was almost as bad (in the best possible way), but at least we saw some "results" from the plan.

You know what show that this kept reminding me of - that shared a lot of the the same mysterious motivations behind the "them", the throwback design and trippy surreal moments, the contemplation of self? The Prisoner, the Patrick McGoohan series from the 60s (of which I was also a big fan).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Stranger Things Season 4, Volume 2

It's here! It's here!

Apparently S4E8 has a 1.5 hour runtime and S4E9 is over 2 hours! Woot!

Top Bottom
1 2