What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Now venturing into Season 2 of ITV's mystery / detective procedural Broadchurch on the PBS Passport platform. I happened to notice Olivia Colman was in it and I have enjoyed her acting so decided to give it a go. Can't say I'm exactly binge-watching it. However I couldn't help but notice that I picked up the pace by watching several episodes per evening a couple times while streaming the first season, which originally aired in 2013. Could be s slippery slope!

lizkat

Reaction score
Welp... Reliable Sources is being cancelled. More fallout from cuts made by Chris Licht at CNN, after the merger of Warner Media and Discovery. Final episode of the show hosted by Brian Stelter will air this weekend. He is leaving the network.

Probably some bitter jokes floating around about exactly how reliable CNN can remain with all these cuts. Meanwhile I suppose Fox is having a party after hearing this news.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
If WW returns to the park settings from season 1, minus a few characters, another, final season may be OK. I was always intrigued by Dolores, and she’s definitely become the center of attention as she tries to salvage things.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
First of all, there is no way to reply to a spoiler without creating a new spoiler tag. PIA.

If WW returns to the park settings from season 1, minus a few characters, another, final season may be OK. I was always intrigued by Dolores, and she’s definitely become the center of attention as she tries to salvage things.
I still won’t bother watching another season.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
For All Mankind- (Apple TV) I just started Season 3, and for a review I rewatched one of the best alternate-reality, pseudo-historical dramas ever, Season 2: Episode 10. Exciting, tense, sad, you could almost believe it happened. :D

Edit: The first two episodes of Season 3 are fantastic.

B76A37C6-F036-4AA0-9802-95381EE4743D.png

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The series finale to Locke and Key is one of the best ever. They didn’t stretch to tie up loose ends, it just all came together in a most satisfying way.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
For All Mankind- (Apple TV) I just started Season 3, and for a review I rewatched one of the best alternate-reality, pseudo-historical dramas ever, Season 2: Episode 10. Exciting, tense, sad, you could almost believe it happened. :D

The series finale to Locke and Key is one of the best ever. They didn’t stretch to tie up loose ends, it just all came together in a most satisfying way.

Both in our queue, not even sure their current position, I think there's a few things ahead of them :ROFLMAO:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
We watched the first episode of the Game of Thrones prequel, House of the Dragon, tonight. I was expecting to be disappointed, but rather enjoyed it and think it's promising.

The series is starting off at a bit of a disadvantage. Despite the unfortunate ending to GoT, the characters on that show were as compelling as any I've seen on television, and it often depicted events that were shocking for the time. Still, it's good to be back in King's Landing with some familiar themes, palace intrigue, and dragons. Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen looks to be a worthy villain as he fights to succeed his brother on the Iron Throne, so I'll keep watching. I miss Tyrion and Arya, though.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
House of the Dragon is definitely off to a good start. Which is relief considering GOT’s final season.

I don’t want to even take a chance of a spoiler this early in the game, especially for those who haven’t yet watched. So will just add that I’m looking forward to episode 2.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
House of the Dragon is definitely off to a good start. Which is relief considering GOT’s final season.

I don’t want to even take a chance of a spoiler this early in the game, especially for those who haven’t yet watched. So will just add that I’m looking forward to episode 2.
Just remember, they can always screw it up. :)

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
HOTD was OK, I'd probably give that first episode a C+ (__maybe__ a B--- :D)

Admittedly, I still have some "bad blood" with GOT, and some of that carried over to this, they even mentioned a sore spot of mine (the WW ... :rolleyes:). The characters aren't, at least initially as compelling as GOT, but HOTD is more focused, which could wind up being a slog if the show is: siblings in [bad] blonde wigs laying down the exposition and f***ing each other all season. I wonder about the staying power over multiple seasons, I kind of wish they would've just committed to a mini-series, developed a specific story, maybe told it in two seasons of about 6 EPs each and had a nice, planned arc.

The show looks beautiful, clearly they spent some money on it, Matt Smith is pretty fun (but they've got to flesh him out, he's almost a cartoon at this point), dragons are amazing, and I don't even mind the prequel-ness too much, since it's so far back from where GOT started, there's not a direct overlap, so there's enough space to create some mystery, it needs a Tyrion to add a little levity, hopefully some big moments like a Battle Of The Bastards, or something driven by fun character intrigue like The Lion And The Rose (but first hey have to establish the characters much better).

Decent enough to watch the next episode, they've got a good enough start and plenty of budget, interested to see where it goes.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
HOTD was OK, I'd probably give that first episode a C+ (__maybe__ a B--- :D)

Admittedly, I still have some "bad blood" with GOT, and some of that carried over to this, they even mentioned a sore spot of mine (the WW ... :rolleyes:). The characters aren't, at least initially as compelling as GOT, but HOTD is more focused, which could wind up being a slog if the show is: siblings in [bad] blonde wigs laying down the exposition and f***ing each other all season. I wonder about the staying power over multiple seasons, I kind of wish they would've just committed to a mini-series, developed a specific story, maybe told it in two seasons of about 6 EPs each and had a nice, planned arc.

The show looks beautiful, clearly they spent some money on it, Matt Smith is pretty fun (but they've got to flesh him out, he's almost a cartoon at this point), dragons are amazing, and I don't even mind the prequel-ness too much, since it's so far back from where GOT started, there's not a direct overlap, so there's enough space to create some mystery, it needs a Tyrion to add a little levity, hopefully some big moments like a Battle Of The Bastards, or something driven by fun character intrigue like The Lion And The Rose (but first hey have to establish the characters much better).

Decent enough to watch the next episode, they've got a good enough start and plenty of budget, interested to see where it goes.
If they can pull off something nearly as good as what Vince Gilligan et al did with Better Call Saul, which started as a prequel and ended up as a sequel to Breaking Bad, they'll be doing well. Admittedly a high bar.

lizkat

Reaction score
Caught up over weekend with a great HBO docu called Breslin and Hamill: Deadline Artists.

They were right about how back in the heyday of those two NYC columnists, everyone read the tabloids from front to back (or back to front) on the way to or from work. They became well known back when blue collar work abounded in the city, and in a time before smartphones and 24/7 cable.

Past whatever the headline on Page One was, those two guys were the upsell for their respective papers: everyone wanted to know today what they thought about whatever was in the headlines on yesterday's front page. For awhile they both worked for the Daily News and the paper even advertised you could get one or the other of them six days a week exclusively in their paper.

Everyone loved or hated the most recent columns of both writers, and no one was afraid to write in and say so either. Made me miss the city of that era something fierce. Breslin was the jackhammer and Hamill the poet, they couldn't have been more different and yet two of a kind. Great that HBO managed to make that film before Breslin passed away.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
If they can pull off something nearly as good as what Vince Gilligan et al did with Better Call Saul, which started as a prequel and ended up as a sequel to Breaking Bad, they'll be doing well. Admittedly a high bar.

BCS is some pretty rare air :)

I think there are potentially some interesting things to explore about the House of Targaryen / War of succession, that why I'm probably at least in for the season.

The Jon Snow series sounds super interesting, seems like there's a lot of stories still to be told involving Jon.

Heck, I wanted to see more of Arya / aka, "A girl has no name ..." kicking ass as a faceless assassin :D

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
BCS is some pretty rare air :)

I think there are potentially some interesting things to explore about the House of Targaryen / War of succession, that why I'm probably at least in for the season.

The Jon Snow series sounds super interesting, seems like there's a lot of stories still to be told involving Jon.

Heck, I wanted to see more of Arya / aka, "A girl has no name ..." kicking ass as a faceless assassin :D
Yeah, I’ll also look forward to see what happens with the Jon Snow series. And an Arya show also might be good.

As for HOTG, I’d like to see more about the origin of the dragons themselves. Where did they come from? How are they controlled? How much do they eat?

Top Bottom
1 2