What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Re-watching The Good Place on Netflix. I hope this goes down as one of the the great shows. It’s so lean and smart, with excellent performances. Kind of inverse-Seinfeld in that it’s so focused on being decent. Completely original; I love it.

It's one of the best "under the radar" shows of all time. Original in concept, genius in execution, @lizkat definitely give it a watch.

It was created by Michael Schur, who was a very popular writer for The Office, hahaha, he also played Dwight's cousin Mose :ROFLMAO: He later co-created Parks and Recreation with Greg Daniels (The Office), and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

This is definitely his apex mountain :D

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Last night my wife and I watched an outstanding Frontline documentary on PBS called Lies, Politics, and Democracy. It was an outstanding look about the rise of trump, how the republicans were captured under his spell, and the resulting consequences to the country.

Check it out...

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I too will check out The Good Place. :)

I did get as far as putting The Good Place on my watchlist, which I've pared down recently by removing stuff I've watched plus a few things I'm more likely to skip than finish watching, so that addition should stand out next time I check into Netflix. The S1E1 of The Good Place might even be my "next up" on that platform.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ll know on the rewatch but my current fave Good Place ep is The Trolley Problem, in season 2. It’s genuinely hilarious and based on thought/ethical experiments I’d never heard of.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Unlike most of you, I’m still watching Better Call Saul and just caught the excellent season 5 finale last night. Ooooo, Kim….Kim, Kim, Kim, Kim, Kim. Fuckin’ Kim.

I now turn to AMC‘s dreadful Apple TV app to finish the saga.
So, it looks like AMC has removed all of season 6 from the app except the finale. I’m about to have a fit.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So, it looks like AMC has removed all of season 6 from the app except the finale. I’m about to have a fit.

Oh shit, right, they do that rolling window of availability.

Are you on AMC or AMC+?

Dang, yeah, just checked, AMC+ only has the last EP and the "documentary". :mad:

The last EP shows "Available till 09/13", maybe they'll get it over to Netflix ASAP.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh shit, right, they do that rolling window of availability.

Are you on AMC or AMC+?

Dang, yeah, just checked, AMC+ only has the last EP and the "documentary". :mad:

The last EP shows "Available till 09/13", maybe they'll get it over to Netflix ASAP.
Yeah, I’m hoping Netflix gets it ASAP. At this point, we only use AMC+ for Mad Men rewatches. I think we may just buy Mad Men (I never buy anything) because this is the last straw for me with AMC+. Easily the worst of the worst for streaming services.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We kind of thought about a Shudder sub for October, but FYI for folks with AMC+ - it has a good amount of shudder content, including much of the newer content and a ton of great classic horror content.

Also of note, there's a weekly show, I think it runs for like 7-8 weeks, anyway, it's called The 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments of All Time, they're counting down X per EP, great contributors, amazing movies.

lizkat

Reaction score
Heh I'm going in the other direction, looking for subs to dispense with. I had taken HBO Max for a year and it comes up in October... but the Warner Bros.Discovery merger and all the cost-cutting they've done since announcing it make me wary of an annual sub, that's for sure. So I'll probably ditch it and then see if something comes along makes me want to take it up on a monthly basis now and then.

EDIT: yep, pulled the plug this morning. Have a month or so left to prowl around for any more watches of interest before it turns into a pumpkin and disappears off the face of my iPad... scooting away to the library just in case I decide to take a month sub now and then.

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, dude bro, but you're wrong. Cobra Kai was rad.
This is a quote from the binge-worthy TV thread after I said Cobra Kai is not great in season 1. It’s not, but here I’m am still lapping it up during season 5.

I Googled a thought I had and found nothing but this show reminds me fully of a telenovela, as in that’s what the creators are modeling it after, but nobody is admitting to it. I can’t think of an American show like this outside of a classic daytime soap but telenovela seems more apt.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a quote from the binge-worthy TV thread after I said Cobra Kai is not great in season 1. It’s not, but here I’m am still lapping it up during season 5.

I Googled a thought I had and found nothing but this show reminds me fully of a telenovela, as in that’s what the creators are modeling it after, but nobody is admitting to it. I can’t think of an American show like this outside of a classic daytime soap but telenovela seems more apt.

I have watched every episode for some reason. It’s like a soap opera, with everybody constantly trying to murder each other with bad karate, and nobody ever calling in the police.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
Ok, it's only 720p, but I just discovered I have all of the Sopranos episodes on one of my archive drives...heh...can't help myself. Going to watch all 6 seasons again. :D

(and, yes, I converted them all to MP4 so they're compatible with Apple TV) - not that I'm suggesting anyone do anything illegal. *whistling softly while staring at the ceiling" ;)

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I have watched every episode for some reason. It’s like a soap opera, with everybody constantly trying to murder each other with bad karate, and nobody ever calling in the police.

That's the way things were back in the 80's Everyone was kung fu fighting.

lizkat

Reaction score
Ok, it's only 720p, but I just discovered I have all of the Sopranos episodes on one of my archive drives...heh...can't help myself. Going to watch all 6 seasons again. :D

(and, yes, I converted them all to MP4 so they're compatible with Apple TV) - not that I'm suggesting anyone do anything illegal. *whistling softly while staring at the ceiling" ;)

I had bought all seasons of The Sopranos from ITunes Store a long time ago when feeling particularly flush and also stupid enough to binge-watch the whole series... then I stashed them on an external and forgot about them until Trump started acting like a mob boss about flipping the election results.

So I re-watched the whole series again between November 2020 and Biden's inauguration, while lighting candles to the Virgin Mary and incense in front of a kitchen Buddha, mumbling a few homebrewed imprecations and telling myself that one season of "Trump the Magnificent" had been enough even for America's most zombied-out couch potatoes.

Was right about the election, wrong about the MAGAts... and I made sure to archive The Sopranos on fresh media in case I ever need that level of distraction again.

lizkat

Reaction score
Yeah, in NY it was more knife fighting.

And now the gun nuts want to make it possible to stage more gunfights in the trains.. thought about that after reading there was a shooting in the Philly underground over the weekend.

All I can remember about guns and the trains from 35 years in NYC was the Bernie Goetz debacle and the one time when I just went through the turnstiles at the relatively sleepy little 50th St Station in Manhattan on the B'way local, more or less on autopilot, not thinking about anything really, and found myself in a tableau where cops were there on the platform, crouched and with guns drawn, everyone else including an apparent perp were frozen in place and the conductor on the train kept saying "step in, doors will be closing". One of the longer 45-second episodes of my life really.​
Perp folded, cop grabbed his weapon, someone rushed the closing doors on one of the cars and held them open for everyone else to pile in, and we all just wanted that train to haul on outta there. I looked for something to be in the paper about it but I don't think it even made the 24hr radio news station, WINS or whatever its call sign is/was. Life went on... robbers stuck to knives and threats and the quick sharp grab-and-go of a purse strap (or.. ouch.. an earring or necklace) to get by.​

Anyway I don't think more guns in the subway would make it safer, geez. People are idiotic enough when just armed with fricken shopping bags and assorted house-moving trash like TV sets, rolled-up carpets and the odd kitchen sink. Now maybe THAT would make a nice TV series. A kind of cheap takeoff of outtakes from parts of The Godfather...

Top Bottom
1 2