What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did anyone watch Manifest (2018-20) when it was on NBC? Please avoid spoilers just want to know if you think it is worthy.

F3D0BE80-D8F3-4A0F-A77F-31D392B3D0D6.jpeg

It has a Lost vibe, but is nothing like Lost. It recently dropped on Netflix, the first two episodes are good. A plane full of people leaves the Caribbean on a return flight to NYC and when they land, discover that it is 5 years later. …and some strange things are happening allowing some (all?) of the passengers to help others in need, while the government is keeping tabs on them to some unknown degree.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Did anyone watch Manifest (2018-20) when it was on NBC? Please avoid spoilers just want to know if you think it is worthy.

It has a Lost vibe, but is nothing like Lost. It recently dropped on Netflix, the first two episodes are good. A plane full of people leaves the Caribbean on a return flight to NYC and when they land, discover that it is 5 years later. …and some strange things are happening allowing some (all?) of the passengers to help others in need, while the government is keeping tabs on them to some unknown degree.
My wife liked it. She watched while I was working. I caught enough to not care one way or another.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched every episode and am really pissed that they cancelled the show without any resolution whatsoever.

Definitely like Lost. They would just throw shit out there and see how it went with no explanation. Also followed the pattern of sometimes being really good and other times being awful and always making you blurt out WTF?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched every episode and am really pissed that they cancelled the show without any resolution whatsoever.

Definitely like Lost. They would just throw shit out there and see how it went with no explanation. Also followed the pattern of sometimes being really good and other times being awful and always making you blurt out WTF?
Well, I’m probably not going to continue then, because this kind of story demands an answer. Thanks for the info! :( I read that NBC tried “hard” (whatever than means) to save it, talk Netflix or Amazon into picking it up?

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score

Same. Season 2 dragged for me (and as you said, was really awful at times), but this last season's cliff hangers make me mad it has been cancelled. It wasn't Emmy worthy but it has been good fluff and at times, entertaining to watch. Especially if you like weird twisty plot turns like Lost.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My wife liked it. She watched while I was working. I caught enough to not care one way or another.
This was my take as well, started out okay but turned into far more of a soap opera for my taste.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
We've been watching "Kim's Convenience" Sometimes cringey, but generally pretty funny. Like with "Man with a Plan", some of the episodes just start out with too much stupid, stupid, stupid. Don't do this stupid thing, bad things won't follow.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Stanley Cup! Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montreal Canadiens, Tampa looking for the their 2nd year in a row win, Montreal hasn't been in the final for 28 years.

We don't really watch during regular season (just occasionally check out the standings), we might watch a little playoff action - but when it comes down the final, it's just some spectacular hockey, players at the top of their game.

Thought Tampa Bay might sweep it, they won the first 3 games in a row (it's best 4 of 7), but Montreal came back last night won, so it's standing at 3-1 (Tampa), so now Montreal will have to win 3 more in a row to take the cup.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Stanley Cup! Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montreal Canadiens, Tampa looking for the their 2nd year in a row win, Montreal hasn't been in the final for 28 years.

We don't really watch during regular season (just occasionally check out the standings), we might watch a little playoff action - but when it comes down the final, it's just some spectacular hockey, players at the top of their game.

Thought Tampa Bay might sweep it, they won the first 3 games in a row (it's best 4 of 7), but Montreal came back last night won, so it's standing at 3-1 (Tampa), so now Montreal will have to win 3 more in a row to take the cup.
Tampa has been great the entire postseason, with the NY Islanders giving them their greatest challenge. Montreal had enough to win one game, but even that one was a squeaker, won in overtime. I have a feeling the next game will be the last of the season, and Tampa will be repeat champs.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I've now (yeah, belatedly) watched the entire PBS Masterpiece / BBC Two six-episode mini series Wolf Hall, twice in a row. Mesmerized by what Mark Rylance manages to communicate with his eyes, slight gesture or half a grimace in an aside almost through the fourth wall. What a brilliant actor. You can tell even without knowing that he comes from the stage and has directorial experience himself. And the screenplay adapted from Hilary Mantel's first two books (Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies) in the Cromwell-centric trilogy is masterful. Impossible to stick those tomes into six TV shows but somehow Peter Straughan managed to nail it in my view. I was happy to read recently that both Rylance as Cromwell and Damian Lewis as Henry VIII had promised back in 2019 to return for another round based on Mantel's final book in the triology, The Mirror and the Light.

Mind you I've no particular opinion about Mantel's unusual but well supported historical presentation of the life of Thomas Comwell. She certainly shows more of the subtlety and "velvet glove" over the steel fist, maybe, than most of us ever thought he may have possessed in action, thanks to any previous biographies we may have read of him. But I loved the books and admire the series based on the first two novels. I'm likely to watch that series a couple more times, before the filmed efforts based on book three are released. This time around would seem a bit different challenge to Straughan, as the book covers a much smaller timeframe of Cromwell's chronological importance in the Tudor reign, but Mantel in that third book has taken us back to show more of where Cromwell the man and force of nature hailed from.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Tampa has been great the entire postseason, with the NY Islanders giving them their greatest challenge. Montreal had enough to win one game, but even that one was a squeaker, won in overtime. I have a feeling the next game will be the last of the season, and Tampa will be repeat champs.

Yeah, Tampa back at home, a marginal win by Montreal, and dominating the series up till last night, I think you're right on!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@lizkat Mark Rylance is really terrific, he's been a few things I've seen, but I understand he's amazing in Wolf Hall. He's going to be in the film adaptation of the novel Bones & All, which is pretty nutty, horrific fun, and it's being directed by Luca Guadagnino who made the very good remake of Suspiria (also has Chloe Sevigny, Michael Stuhlbarg, so solid talent all around).

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I somehow missed Modern Family when it was on and just recently discovered it. I've been having fun watching that.

I've also been re-watching Brooklyn Nine-nice to get ready for the final season. I've rewatched that show more than I can count. I'm quite sure I'm into the double digits. Let's call it a lot of times and just leave it at that.

Since it's summer, it's Lego Masters time. That was entertaining last year and I've been enjoying it this year as well.

I've been working my way through Nailed It on Netflix and am almost done with that.

Then I came across my old Homicide: Life on the Street and Kung-Fu DVDs, so I've been having fun there. I also need to finish the last season of Spartacus. I put it aside and never returned, but I've seen it before, so I know it's good.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife has been watching different old shows on different Sling TV channels for example The Andy Griffith Show (Sundance TV) which I still love and can watch, and I saw an ad for Hogan’s Heroes another show the family enjoyed when I was a teen, but I looking back on it, it’s kind of hard to believe someone thought a comedy set in a WWII prison camp would be funny. I mean at the time it was kind of a funny with the “brilliant” allied prisoners of war making the Germans look like idiots. As a ridiculous farce it kind of works, but I don’t think I could enjoy it today. I think I’d prefer to see Springtime for Hitler (a Mel Brooks Producers ref) :)

I somehow missed Modern Family when it was on and just recently discovered it. I've been having fun watching that.

I've also been re-watching Brooklyn Nine-nice to get ready for the final season. I've rewatched that show more than I can count. I'm quite sure I'm into the double digits. Let's call it a lot of times and just leave it at that.

Since it's summer, it's Lego Masters time. That was entertaining last year and I've been enjoying it this year as well.

I've been working my way through Nailed It on Netflix and am almost done with that.

Then I came across my old Homicide: Life on the Street and Kung-Fu DVDs, so I've been having fun there. I also need to finish the last season of Spartacus. I put it aside and never returned, but I've seen it before, so I know it's good.
Modern Family was an amazing show for 10 seasons or so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2