What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Mare of Easttown
Crime Drama/Mystery
HBOMAX
Season 1, limited series, 7 Episodes

Finally threw on the 1st EP just to check it out and we were immediately sucked in, engaged, it's spectacular, beautifully shot, actors at the top of their game, so very perfectly captures the look and feel of the people/life of the area where it takes place. A twisting, slow burn of a plot, that's absolutely secondary to a very character driven story about loss, family, sacrifice.

3 EPs in, will probably make it to 4 and 5 today.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Mare of Easttown
Crime Drama/Mystery
HBOMAX
Season 1, limited series, 7 Episodes

Finally threw on the 1st EP just to check it out and we were immediately sucked in, engaged, it's spectacular, beautifully shot, actors at the top of their game, so very perfectly captures the look and feel of the people/life of the area where it takes place. A twisting, slow burn of a plot, that's absolutely secondary to a very character driven story about loss, family, sacrifice.

3 EPs in, will probably make it to 4 and 5 today.
Not going to spoil anything for you but I couldn't agree more. This is one of the best shows they've ever made on HBO IMO, could have just as easily been labeled True Detective. It only gets better with each episode BTW. Enjoy.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tried the new AppleTV+ series Lissey’s Story yesterday. So many questions. I do enjoy Stephen King when he sticks to horror and stays away from human evil (Mysery and Gerald’s Game).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Not going to spoil anything for you but I couldn't agree more. This is one of the best shows they've ever made on HBO IMO, could have just as easily been labeled True Detective. It only gets better with each episode BTW. Enjoy.

That's a good show reference, I usually try to mention some "If you liked X/Y/Z ...", and that's one for sure, True Detective, also The Killing, Broadchurch.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That is the one. Yes, glass blowing is an extreme art that can rarely be done solo.
When I was a kid, we visited some glass blowing factories in West Virginai who made decorative glass. People used to buy it for decorative bobbles. I wonder if any of them are still open?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we visited some glass blowing factories in West Virginai who made decorative glass. People used to buy it for decorative bobbles. I wonder if any of them are still open?
Worth asking around, eh?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
On HBO Max lately, I checked into the HBO miniseries about Catherine the Great... seems uneven to me and more entertaining than enlightening really, it's like bits of history regarding Russian relationships to Germany, Turkey etc are thrown in to keep the whole thing from being about the bed-hopping efforts of assorted characters including the Empress.

Guess I could be put off this TV drama because of having read a few biographies. which were tomes (fascinating ones) and this so far seems to trivialize Catherine's true significance in Russian history. Couple episodes to go but they're running out of time to redeem it in my view. I'm a little surprised because Helen Mirren was not only the main protagonist but also a producer. Oh well. No reason there can't be a big difference between whatever she may have wanted of it and what I expected. I think I liked her better in The Queen... or is it that I liked that screenplay better. That too for sure.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Wow, yeah, what an ending, well endings with an S. Just fantastic.

@lizkat You should definitely check it out since you have HBOMax.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm having a hard time justifying Disney Plus, they have such a limited set of movies and the original content isn't enough to keep me going. My biggest issue is that when they release movies they still make you pay $30 for it, even when you're already subscribed to their service. I tried them twice and am going to drop again, if I want to see the new Loki I'll torrent it.

HBO Max does not have this problem, they are by far the best streaming service out there right now IMO. New releases same day without any additional cost, tons of great original shows and a wide variety of movies, I'm glad to give them my money if they keep this up.

lizkat

Reaction score
HBO Max does not have this problem, they are by far the best streaming service out there right now IMO. New releases same day without any additional cost, tons of great original shows and a wide variety of movies, I'm glad to give them my money if they keep this up.

I just hope the ATT-Discovery merger doesn't put the kibosh on that because it's what I appreciate too. Back in the day I worked for assorted Time Warner outfits including HBO for quite awhile, but never even had a cable TV subscription all that time, so I've had a lot of catching up to do... and have been loving HBO Max for the new + old options.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I just hope the ATT-Discovery merger doesn't put the kibosh on that because it's what I appreciate too. Back in the day I worked for assorted Time Warner outfits including HBO for quite awhile, but never even had a cable TV subscription all that time, so I've had a lot of catching up to do... and have been loving HBO Max for the new + old options.
It sounds like they're changing their subscription model to charge extra for ad free but that will only be for non-stock HBO content (like shows they pick up, etc) so I don't think it will be a big deal.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just watched the first episode of Loki on DTV+. Nice even opening. I think it’s going to be good.

Watched it last night super fun, great concept, obviously part of the big multiverse master Phase 4 plot.

And of course, Hiddleston is just superb, and love us some Owen Wilson.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Logan, on Hulu. I put it in the top 5 superhero flicks of all time.

Funny you mentioned this, I JUST said last night, "Oh, we need to watch Logan again ..."

My motivation was seeing a Bill Sienkiewicz Logan poster recently, he's fantastic (probably my favorite comic - and other - artists), here's a few of his Logan pieces:

1623501251083.png

1623501273306.png

1623501326095.png

lizkat

Reaction score
Of course there are things one can't always see on PBS via the Passport option due to licensed exhibition windows having gone elsewhere. I noticed that one can now stream Jewel in the Crown on the PBS Channel of Prime Video .. and so I'm binge-watching it under their free 7-day trial of the channel. I shall be bleary eyed by time I've finished... and if it comes to not being able to do that, then I suppose paying for one month of the channel to finish it in more lesiurely pace won't be a problem. The remastered audio is so much better than it was on the original transfer from VHS to DVD.

Top Bottom
1 2