What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I finally got around to the series finale of Debris and it was...disappointing. I mean, the creepiness was there as usual, which is to be expected of these artifacts which do totally random, bizarre things. But the plot?

We knew the show was canceled and was going to end on a cliffhanger, but the creator said we'd at least see what he called an origin story. I don't know. It looked to me like all they did was throw a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what would stick.

Although kudos to the props crew that came up with those grotesquely distorted people in the store. That was something you couldn't say you've seen before.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I finally got around to the series finale of Debris and it was...disappointing. I mean, the creepiness was there as usual, which is to be expected of these artifacts which do totally random, bizarre things. But the plot?

We knew the show was canceled and was going to end on a cliffhanger, but the creator said we'd at least see what he called an origin story. I don't know. It looked to me like all they did was throw a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what would stick.

Although kudos to the props crew that came up with those grotesquely distorted people in the store. That was something you couldn't say you've seen before.
I watched 1 episode. No implied judgement. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Third Rock From The Sun (1996-2001)- I forgot how funny this show is. Found it on IFC via Sling TV. :D

B89D59A2-97FD-4F9C-92D1-89B14311C3CC.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Kominsky Method (2019-21)

CC88BF2C-A362-4562-B2F5-8CA623D18ABF.jpeg

Finishing up the final season, have enjoyed this. Michael Douglass plays an actor/acting coach. These are short shows, short seasons. Fun cast Paul Reiser, Jane Seymore, Alan Arkin left season 3 cause he was winding down.

In a Guardian interview, Arkin said his Kominsky Method exit comes as he slows down his career at the age of 87. He said: "I'm like a horse going down the trail. Acting is so ingrained in my physiognomy and the channels of my brain that I find myself missing aspects of the business. But I don't need it any more. I should probably get over it."

He added in an interview with health food writer Andrea Donsky: "The less work I get, the better my health. The stress in the marketplace is enormous and my system has a fast reaction. I can't deal with stress anymore.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
My wife has watched the series and I've watched a few of them with her. It's a pleasure to see veteran actors like Douglas and Arkin in the lead. Kinda like the CW in reverse.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I’ve been watching the occasional episode of Two and A Half Men. I never intended to, but the pilot episode was there as I was flipping channels, and I love to see how shows started out, vs. what they turned into.

I have to admit, the writing is pretty sharp compared to any later episodes I’ve seen. For example, Charlie Sheen’s brother Alan is going through a divorce from his wife, and they’re having this horrendous fight about who gets custody of this big moose of a dog. Alan is adamant he’s going to keep the dog…and his ex is equally stubborn that that’s not going to happen.

Nearby is Alan’s son, eating breakfast. Charlie Sheen asks him, “Did your parents have this kind of fight about you?” And Jake replies, “Oh, yeah! ‘You take him!’ ‘No you take him!’” 😂

I also like the early credits, which depicted the title characters singing the goofy/cool “Men” theme around an old style microphone.

790E2C39-5D42-4A43-B45A-71A5BABE2BAF.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’ve been watching the occasional episode of Two and A Half Men. I never intended to, but the pilot episode was there as I was flipping channels, and I love to see how shows started out, vs. what they turned into.

I have to admit, the writing is pretty sharp compared to any later episodes I’ve seen. For example, Charlie Sheen’s brother Alan is going through a divorce from his wife, and they’re having this horrendous fight about who gets custody of this big moose of a dog. Alan is adamant he’s going to keep the dog…and his ex is equally stubborn that that’s not going to happen.

Nearby is Alan’s son, eating breakfast. Charlie Sheen asks him, “Did your parents have this kind of fight about you?” And Jake replies, “Oh, yeah! ‘You take him!’ ‘No you take him!’” 😂

I also like the early credits, which depicted the title characters singing the goofy/cool “Men” theme around an old style microphone.
Couldn't agree more, their writing was brilliant on many levels. This scene has to be one of the funniest ever written on a sitcom IMO, not to mention that unless the audience has seen Kojak or lived in the 70s (most likely did not) it would've zinged right over their heads,

Totally hilarious for what's mostly an inside joke and it helps that you had Conchata Ferrell delivering it, the master at zinging everyone.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Totally hilarious for what's mostly an inside joke and it helps that you had Conchata Ferrell delivering it, the master at zinging everyone.
She was the best part of that show. I watched it from start to end. She was the best part.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
And I almost totally missed it on its first run. I’d never even seen an episode with Rose the stalker. So I’ve got some catching up to do.

Shows like this are a guilty pleasure: they consist primarily of insult comedy, Charlie treating women badly, and Alan being incompetent. Yet they’re undeniably funny. This one is also basically The Odd Couple: newly separated sad sack moves in with someone his polar opposite.

And I’d only seen the “red curtain” intro once or twice. On YouTube I found a compilation where Angus T. Jones starts each one as a little boy, but morphs into his true age at the end. Weird yet clever.

I also remember some controversy when the kid “found religion” and started trash talking the show. 🙄

Conchata Ferrell I recall from “Network”, where she did some equally funny deadpan delivery.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
792284.jpg

Kevin Can F**k Himself (AMC) is the weirdest damn thing.

Allison has a literal sitcom life. She lives in a run-down section of town, carries a lowly job, and puts up with her dumbass schlub of a husband who just likes to hang out with his stupid friends. Typical sitcom stuff, right? But she dreams of using their savings to move to a more upscale neighborhood, which she thinks will solve all her problems. This portion of the series is shot three-camera, on videotape, on your typical brightly-lit sitcom set, complete with laugh track.

When Allison leaves the house, the show turns into a dark, single-camera film dramedy in which it's clear that her "stalwart wife" sitcom demeanor is a front, and she's actually desperately unhappy and on the edge of a nervous breakdown. She's frantically searching for an out from a life she absolutely hates, and searching for anybody who can take her away from her happy hell.

Annie Murphy as Allison is great, very much reminiscent of Ellen Muth on Dead Like Me. You'd think you'd get whiplash from the constant alternating between the laugh track/sitcom format and the darker drama, but surprisingly enough, the show moves amazingly seamlessly between those two very different formats. I'm two episodes in and I have no idea where this is going, but it's possible the two formats will merge and form an even darker, gallows comedy.

Oh, by the way...Kevin Can F**k Himself is not how they spell it in the opening credits. 😅 Best series title ever.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
BTW…the above makes me realize how swear words are slowly seeping into the TV title mainstream:
  • $#*!, My Dad Says
  • Don’t Trust the B—— in Apartment 23
  • Schitt’s Creek
  • Kevin Can F**k Himself

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone watching Sweet Tooth (Netflix)- and enjoying it? We watched Episode 1 last night and am not convinced to continue. Listed as No.10 on Netflix.

3ACE2E78-248C-40EF-A8ED-DB0A3BDA25EF.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It gets better after episode 1 IMHO. More characters are introduced and the story gets interesting. I watched the whole first season and enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it. Binged it way too fast though. Season 2 is already in the works.
Does the boy grow up or stay small during season 1?
I probably will not continue this. However fantasy is a gender I generally like.

Top Bottom
1 2