Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Is it especially bad, this time?

This evening, one of my fellow students in my French recounted how she had been in Italy, where she received the vaccine, in the form of one shot (rather than two) which was deemed sufficient, as she already had contracted Covid while there, and was thought not to need a second shot.

Anyway, she said that the vaccine (or her reaction to it) was far worse than the bout of Covid she had suffered.
Everyone's reaction seems to be somewhat different, and it's interesting seeing the variations! (Not so much fun dealing with whatever one's own particular response to the vaccination has been, though....!).

So, SS, are yon on a list at a clinic or signed up at your doctor's practice, however they're doing it over there, to be getting your vaccination soon?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Much worse. Maybe the second or third worse bought I’ve ever had.
Ouch.

Commiserations, and not the sort of argument that would persuade Mrs AFB to get vaccinated.

(There was) Lots of vaccinated vocabulary - in tonight's French class; while - intellectually - I know that languages change, and am au fait with many of the changes that have taken place in English, I am still surprised at some of the changes in French since I last studied the language, oh, decades ago in school.

Reminds me of my own (severe) reactions to the rabies virus, a reaction quite unlike any other reaction I have ever had.
Closed period. She decided it was a lot of work for not much return. Currently converting it to into a house.
That is a real pity.

I hate to see small, often much-loved - and much needed - local pubs close. Greedy chains are an entirely different matter.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
At present, I am sipping Ethiopian coffee (with organic hot milk).

Last night, I watched a documentary on the Battle of the Somme, and earlier, - after my French class, as I was tired and didn't fancy cooking - I had ordered in sashimi from an excellent Japanese place that has adapted to Covid conditions by doing take outs/takeaways/deliveries.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
That is a real pity.

I hate to see small, often much-loved - and much needed - local pubs close. Greedy chains are an entirely different matter.

I quite agree. Same with little general stores in or near villages in the US. The big-box stores drove a lot of the little groceries out of business, or close to it, and the coup de grace was delivered to a whole bunch more when the USPS closed post offices that were part of or next door to a little general store.

On the bright side, a few new takeout places popped up in some of the villages near here during the pandemic, so all hope is not lost for a revival of interest in shopping over there as the recovery picks up steam.

I still miss the general stores though. It's quite an art to maintain a store like that and turn even a tiny profit, selling everything from barn boots and hardware to deli meats and birthday cards. Some of the shops changed hands, but the new proprietors ended up discovering they had more of "a vision" than a viable business plan in the face of competition from the behemoths, so most of them have folded.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I quite agree. Same with little general stores in or near villages in the US. The big-box stores drove a lot of the little groceries out of business, or close to it, and the coup de grace was delivered to a whole bunch more when the USPS closed post offices that were part of or next door to a little general store.

On the bright side, a few new takeout places popped up in some of the villages near here during the pandemic, so all hope is not lost for a revival of interest in shopping over there as the recovery picks up steam.

I still miss the general stores though. It's quite an art to maintain a store like that and turn even a tiny profit, selling everything from barn boots and hardware to deli meats and birthday cards. Some of the shops changed hands, but the new proprietors ended up discovering they had more of "a vision" than a viable business plan in the face of competition from the behemoths, so most of them have folded.

Agree re small, local stores, as well.

And, indeed, some larger stores, which often provided a safe, social public space for women, a socially acceptable, yet very pleasant, place where they could meet, have a tea of coffee, chat, and indeed, dream, whiling away many a pleasant hour.

I remember such "shopping" with my mother; looking at clothes was often just an excuse to get out, take some "public space" air, see people, meet with some of her female friends, by accident or arrangement, and chat, or share news, or offer (or receive) a consoling or counselling shoulder.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

When I was a kid, we had a “variety store” in my small town, run by an old woman who had been doing it as long as anybody could remember. She loved it when kids came in, and had a selection of candy for a penny. So you’d see a little kid plop 5-6 pennies on the counter and she’d smile as she slowly helped them look over all the options to get their handful of candy.

I bought a lot of sports cards there over the years too, and she had a lot of other little necessities. It closed a number of years ago when she had to retire due to old age.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Back to riding 20 miles a day. my hematoma has shrunk well. the PT guy said riding is about the best thing I can do for it. but the skin that was very numb is coming back to life and hurting like hell. he told me the skin after lots of activity will tighten up and that causes al the pains. but man its worse then it was last week.
got a decent check from the bike insurance company to repair our bike. Now if the wife would just hurry and heal up.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Work today and tomorrow. Then a nice long four day weekend. Sadly the wonderful weather we had yesterday won’t still be here on Friday. Plenty to keep me busy inside and out though as long as it’s dry.
I certainly won’t be rushing out to any crowded places as things open up though.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Unfortunately it’s a choice made by businesses and customers where small stores can’t compete price wise. The customers could choose to continue supporting the smaller family run business, but the appeal of lower prices and in some cases more choice is too strong.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s a choice made by businesses and customers where small stores can’t compete price wise. The customers could choose to continue the smaller family run business, but the appeal of lower prices and in some cases more choice is too strong.
I like to go to an actual store. A lot of people would rather have all their needs delivered to them in boxes from Amazon.

Funny thing - I see so many people that just buy EVERYTHING from Amazon. I mean... you’ve got the internet. You can’t find another vendor? You’re not even curious what the competition offers?

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
I like to go to an actual store. A lot of people would rather have all their needs delivered to them in boxes from Amazon.

Funny thing - I see so many people that just buy EVERYTHING from Amazon. I mean... you’ve got the internet. You can’t find another vendor? You’re not even curious what the competition offers?
And that’s why Amazon keeps getting stronger and stronger. 2 years ago 30% of our business was on Amazon. Now we are closer to 50%. Sad for our (more profitable) direct business and resellers.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
And that’s why Amazon keeps getting stronger and stronger. 2 years ago 30% of our business was on Amazon. Now we are closer to 50%. Sad for our (more profitable) direct business and resellers.

Agreed, unfortunately.

Had a lovely chat for around an hour with an academic friend with whom I used to drink wine, and have coffee; there was much to discuss, not least the fact that we both detest BJ, and are looking forward to a time when we can meet (even outdoors) for a glass of wine or cup of coffee.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Installed a new dishwasher because our old one was just sort of lamely throwing water around, and making weird noises. And, also bought a new refrigerator.

On Saturday, I got my COVID-19 shot, so I expect to get more from Soros Inc., though I'm waiting to hit the Windows chimes from my brand-new Bill Gates implant. Can I buy .Mac and get the Mac bong?

I also flew around, and nearly killed a rental car trying to 4-wheel through a dirt parking lot behind a CBP truck, and didn't see the giant car-killing pothole. My buddy claims I caught air.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I also flew around, and nearly killed a rental car trying to 4-wheel through a dirt parking lot behind a CBP truck, and didn't see the giant car-killing pothole. My buddy claims I caught air.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what you're supposed to do with rental cars?

Top Bottom
1 2