What are you doing today?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
My next one's likely going to be a Rav4 Prime. I LOL'd about the 3-rows, aren't you in a 3-member family?:)
The Prime looks great. We bought a 2021 RAV4 Hybrid in February and are generally delighted by it. It’s getting ~10 mpg better than our 2018 Outback. It’ll be difficult not to get a hybrid next time we buy.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My next one's likely going to be a Rav4 Prime. I LOL'd about the 3-rows, aren't you in a 3-member family?:)

Hahaha, yeah, we like to lay longways across two seats ... 🤪

I know, it sounds sort of unnecessary, we have - which is now sort of "had" - good friends we used to travel with, down The Keys quite a bit, 3 of us, 3 of them, two shortest people sat in the 3rd row, hitch carrier with two tubs of dive gear, coolers, 6 rollers stack in the hatch.

~420 miles, one tank of gas with room to spare :)

Er, that has kind of fizzled (on their end, if you know what I mean), plus, everyone is too tall now, the 3rd row for more than maybe an hour isn't too pleasant.

Our other good friends, who are also family, wife's Bro/SIL/kid, again 3+3, it was nice having the DD up in PA, one car for all of us (but we likely will never drive up there again, there's new flight options that are amazing), they have a place in NSB, same thing, one car to Flagler, the beach, but again, it was like a chore, short trips, but with __stuff__ it barely worked.

So screw that 3rd row, it also makes the vehicle shorter, easier to park, and we have our own ride even if we connect with the NSB folks (so don't have to worry about taking them back to the house, loading up their shit, etc.) Hahaha, it's one thing back in the day I liked about my Vettes, 2 seats, never "3rd wheel" so to speak :D

It’ll be difficult not to get a hybrid next time we buy.

Yep, so difficult in fact, that we were unable to avoid it :D

Small steps, but if the $7K-$10K Fed tax credit comes back to Tesla, I'm selling my GT (since it will have a semi-replacement for one of its perks :D), and buying a Model 3 Performance.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
We had a 4Runner, it was a rare purchase vs. lease*, we tend to do the latter for the "family" vehicle, that way there's a car that's always under warranty (so no surprises ...), and the "disposal" is simple. At that point, I was kind of, it's a T4R, it should last, let's do it with a 5 year plan, and I knew with a new baby, our current beach/snow habits, it was going to be abused :D

It was very solid, had the 4.7 V8, AWD of course :D Held up well, it did require a 75K service, which is a timing belt/pump/etc., service, the V8 uses belts, the bulletproof V6 uses chains, that's a $1300 service, but factored in over 5+ years, not too bad TCO, we had our special shocks/suspension blow out, OEM would've been $3K, we went with Bilstein 5100 HDs, ~$600, needed new calipers, an oil cooler, again, still decent TCO at 6 years, and it towed, snowed, drive through the ocean, scaled mountains, got vomited in / 1000s of lbs of McD's consumed (10s of lbs lost under seats ...)

View attachment 4475

Our current, well, according to some text messages just now we have two currents, hahaha, more on that later, but the one in the driveway is a Dodge Durango RT, AWD, loaded with tow, black top, B&O audio, etc., it's a 6 seater (in our cap chair configuration), tows a ton, the RT has slightly more sporty suspension, slightly lower, it has the 5.7L Hemi, that's the 360/390 output (there's an SRT with the 6.4L), it was solid too, almost 3 years old today, and only had a couple of small, under warranty fixes.

View attachment 4476

We cross shopped another 3 row, explorer ST, nice with the 21" Perf Pack, quick, gave the Hyundai/Kia twins a review, they're killing it, backordered for weeks, really flipping the content-to-price ratio.

Finally, we decided we don't care about a 3-row/6-7 seaters any longer (why do we really need it, it was always to accommodate someone else ...), have never owned a Jeep myself (Dad had one) we were looking at Grand Cherokees, which as you probably know, share quite a bit of tech/chassis, with the Durango, pretty cool, mid-range models have the (same) 5.7L as an option.

FWIW, the current Grand Cherokee has not been updated for MY21, but the new Grand Cherokee L (L = Long Wheelbase), which is a 3-row is new, has the option for the new uConnect 5 10" display, newly designed exterior, interior. The Wagoneer is just a beast, way too big for our needs, $60K entry level, hell, the 6.4L Grand Wagoneer flavor tops $100K.

However, the wife had a hankering, I sort of did too, the little G is into it, it's new, it's old, it's super cool, it's very "beachy", it's small step towards the future, we wound up with a Jeep, it's being delivered today, er, I guess big reveal when it arrives, hahaha, I convinced them (or they kind of took it upon themselves, same difference ...) to drive it up to us from Orlando for free :D

*This is one of the great misunderstood ownership models, as soon as I hear, "well you don't own it", I know the person isn't quite clear on the concept. Here's a kicker: you can sell your leased car, it's got a residual value (heck, that's determined up front), we have a Carvana offer for $7000 over the RV, we're not turning it in, we're selling it to them, that's money in our pocket, like equity, like a conventional finance :)

We have a 3-row in our Highlander, and we've rarely used it. Also, for a reason I don't understand, Toyota makes you choose between the KDSS and the 3rd-row. I can't tell if this is because of something functional, or because they're trying to create a split between the people-movers and the "let's do something dumbass" versions.

Since I'm a full-member of the dumbass club, I'm going with one of the TRDs.

I do miss my CJ-7. I recently saw this beautiful, cherry'd out one with a Chevy V8 crammed in the bay, and my investment account took a deep breath. And, the Wranglers are really cool, my SIL has one and its gorgeous.

Hahaha, yeah, we like to lay longways across two seats ... 🤪

I know, it sounds sort of unnecessary, we have - which is now sort of "had" - good friends we used to travel with, down The Keys quite a bit, 3 of us, 3 of them, two shortest people sat in the 3rd row, hitch carrier with two tubs of dive gear, coolers, 6 rollers stack in the hatch.

~420 miles, one tank of gas with room to spare :)

Er, that has kind of fizzled (on their end, if you know what I mean), plus, everyone is too tall now, the 3rd row for more than maybe an hour isn't too pleasant.

Our other good friends, who are also family, wife's Bro/SIL/kid, again 3+3, it was nice having the DD up in PA, one car for all of us (but we likely will never drive up there again, there's new flight options that are amazing), they have a place in NSB, same thing, one car to Flagler, the beach, but again, it was like a chore, short trips, but with __stuff__ it barely worked.

So screw that 3rd row, it also makes the vehicle shorter, easier to park, and we have our own ride even if we connect with the NSB folks (so don't have to worry about taking them back to the house, loading up their shit, etc.) Hahaha, it's one thing back in the day I liked about my Vettes, 2 seats, never "3rd wheel" so to speak :D

Small steps, but if the $7K-$10K Fed tax credit comes back to Tesla, I'm selling my GT (since it will have a semi-replacement for one of its perks :D), and buying a Model 3 Performance.

I'll have to think hard about the Tesla for my wife. Her car is up for replacement in two years based on my budget, and I keep thinking about something like a Highlander Hybrid or a Tesla. Her commute is pretty short, and she doesn't need the cargo space of the Highlander often.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

:cool:

IMG_7663 2_1200.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
True signs of spring in my household and yard: yeah finally daffodils... and a robin actually seen instead of just heard at dusk scolding a wanna-be competitor for the spruce tree as nesting site.

and... yesterday a nice garlicky hummus along with cucumbers, tomatoes and toasted pita wedges for lunch.

All this in honor of a fickle spring, alas: tonight we're supposed to get two inches of snow... just as the grass was pondering a rush to mowing height. After the snow, a slew of days and nights with below-normal temperatures apparently lie ahead.

Oh well, this reversion gives me some days to relax back into winter pursuits of books and music. I won't mind after a week of trying to beat back the emerging jungle and discover which perennials did or didn't make it through winter besides the always undaunted day lilies.

Truth be told though, once spring is here I'd just as soon get on with it, get past the rest of mud season chores into the time when we dare set out tender plants and think about things like a cuppa tea on the deck in the sunshine.

But as for what I'm doing today? Realizing it's not time to trade away wool sweaters for the cotton ones. That chore just rolled outward on the calendar for at least another couple weeks. I keep forgetting that April is part of winter here. :rolleyes:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Got the two monitor arms I ordered delivered. Both arriving boxes were labeled with the same model name & number. Perfectly reasonable since I ordered two of the same. So far so good.

But wait... Why are the two boxes not identical in size and shape? Maybe they optimized the packaging a bit. No big deal. Companies do minor tweaks all the time to fix problems or (more often) to save money. It‘s not like I’m gonna keep the packaging anyway.

Hmm. Wait a minute... Virtually every single piece of the two monitor arms differ! They don’t even remotely look the same!

Blötdjur! Bomber och granater och krevader! Bondlurkar! Bovar! Bålnötter! Dyngspridare! Död och pina! Eländiga kryp! Enögda kannibal! Fåntrattar! Fähund! Fördömda kräk! Sötvattenspirater!

Sure, individually they both do what they’re supposed to do... But... I can’t stand the lack of symmetry! The parts that will be visible are significantly different in shape and size. Maybe I’m being silly, a Karen in training, or worse, but this just won’t do. No this won’t do at all!

What am I doing today? Complaining! Getting the silliness out of my system and moving on to enjoying a beautiful spring day.

U

User.45

Got the two monitor arms I ordered delivered. Both arriving boxes were labeled with the same model name & number. Perfectly reasonable since I ordered two of the same. So far so good.

But wait... Why are the two boxes not identical in size and shape? Maybe they optimized the packaging a bit. No big deal. Companies do minor tweaks all the time to fix problems or (more often) to save money. It‘s not like I’m gonna keep the packaging anyway.

Hmm. Wait a minute... Virtually every single piece of the two monitor arms differ! They don’t even remotely look the same!

Blötdjur! Bomber och granater och krevader! Bondlurkar! Bovar! Bålnötter! Dyngspridare! Död och pina! Eländiga kryp! Enögda kannibal! Fåntrattar! Fähund! Fördömda kräk! Sötvattenspirater!

Sure, individually they both do what they’re supposed to do... But... I can’t stand the lack of symmetry! The parts that will be visible are significantly different in shape and size. Maybe I’m being silly, a Karen in training, or worse, but this just won’t do. No this won’t do at all!

What am I doing today? Complaining! Getting the silliness out of my system and moving on to enjoying a beautiful spring day.
don't bläme you.:D

U

User.45

Bonus points for adding the umlaut where it sort of makes sense!

Unlike the metal band Tröjan... Their added metal umlaut/röck döts turned their cool menacing name into “The Sweater“ here, something more suitable for a band singing kids songs. 😋
ó, áj låv äccënts.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
went on my first long ride 40 miles saw all kinds f things going to a new area. a cruise ship getting built? Addis campus and sculptures. not sure what the pinwheels for saw them in two different places. the sign was knocked down.
View attachment 4404View attachment 4405View attachment 4406View attachment 4407View attachment 4408View attachment 4409

Those bike lanes are awesome. It's great when cities add lane options that do not allow bad drivers to drift into them.

French class finished, and a lovely chat (by phone) with my favourite cousin, (who has a troubled enough life of his own) who very kindly rang to wish me (belated) brithday greetings.

Happy belated (even more belated than @hulugu's response) birthday!

Commiserations.

On the (very) rare occasions I have been confronted with "one of those big sub style bastards" - and yes, they can be delicious - I have been known to call upon the (welcome if unfashionable) services of cutlery, in the form of a knife and fork, briskly wielded, and a plate.

On this single occasion, I lack an appropriate Futurama reference. Going with Seinfeld instead...

lizkat

Reaction score
Boring, basic stuff: Putting on a wash, preparing dinner, reading books.

Hah, putting on a wash is occasionally a real surprise. I remember once, years ago, when a solenoid valve stuck in my (now previous!) washing machine, and so the signal to stop filling was essentially ignored. Fortunately I was sorting out some stuff stored in the cellar when that occurred or I would have had a really adventure-filled afternoon. 😵

I'm looking forward to poached eggs tonight in a new nonstick pan with a vented glass lid, just delivered this afternoon. The old one was starting to show signs of rebellion even though treated with care. Sigh. With all our engineering we can intercept asteroids and send back pictures and even plan to ship back soil core samples from Mars... but we still fall down on stuff like household-grade metal alloys and other compound surfacings, well-behaved batteries, long-lived can openers...

Gee. I wonder if all the previous human civilizations that developed very advanced technologies but then fell apart over political bickering (or the wars that spun off them) had solved some of those problems before their desire to own the patents for silk or gunpowder or whatever overtook their common sense and ability to get along. Pity if there was once a nonstick pan (aside from well seasoned cast iron, which is still my fallback) and we just forgot how the heck to make it after the second generation of Mongol leaders got greedy and completely wrecked everything in their path for quite awhile.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Spent the afternoon once again reorganizing my second bedroom, as there were some things which needed to be sorted again after the initial venture and more careful thought given to convenience and arrangement. I just have too darned much stuff, especially photographic accessories and equipment! Wish I had a third bedroom to use solely for that purpose......

lizkat

Reaction score
Spent the afternoon once again reorganizing my second bedroom, as there were some things which needed to be sorted again after the initial venture and more careful thought given to convenience and arrangement. I just have too darned much stuff, especially photographic accessories and equipment! Wish I had a third bedroom to use solely for that purpose......

Sometimes I feel that way about the specialized adapters and cables acquired for the raft of long-lived Apple gear I've acquired over the decades. Same for some of the cutting and sewing tools in the studio, although there I've had better luck keeping things organized. With the Apple stuff, upon occasion the only way I've managed to locate some adapter I know I possess is the time-honored if exasperating one of re-ordering the darn thing, receipt of which re-order guarantees that within days I'll bump into the one I already had.

U

User.45

Image segmentation, specimen inventory, prep for Monday's journal club (bleh, I'm not doing this anymore). Also alone with the kids this weekend...

Top Bottom
1 2