What are you doing today?

U

User.45

Well, this looks like a project :) New digs? New room? Color is __awesome__. People fear a little color on the walls :D

We're painting the master, pulled down the wall framing, etc., I'm doing a whole garage thing, new ceiling mounted storage + wall mounted + painting (at some point, Gravity Gray :D)
New house. New color. I don't know why people in America like gray walls so much. I had color LEDs to bring extra color to rentals, but and when we owned last time, we didn't have time to get a nice paint. This color is called Mayan Green. I'll say I wanted Caribbean Blue for the living room, but got a little scared and went with light yellow (as the standard means to make it bright).

BTW, y'all should avoid Mantel Mount. That TV mount is a lawsuit in the making. It almost snapped my head to the wall, nearly cut off my wife's fingers and finally managed to fall off the wall breaking my $250 TV... Got a $60 echogear instead, installed in 2H and happier than ever. Next is mounting my Mackie MR5 nearfield speakers.

I can also finally take my books out of boxes and onto shelves. Little late to look Zoom-smart, but it's OK.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@P_X

Excellent, congrats. The gray is for the garage (vs. shows-every-mark white), it's med-light, then we're doing a darker gray floor with light blue/pink/gray sparkles.

Let's see, the office is Flaming Sword Red, the main TV room is Sunrise Yellow, one wall, that leads into the landing area is Deep Atlantic Blue, two different greens for 2 of the full baths, the bedroom is about to be an amazing blue simply called Swimming :) So yeah, we're all in on color.

That's shocking about the mantel mount, I've had ours installed for like a decade (back when they only had one product), been through 3 TVs, including a heavy weight, large Plasma - and my full body weight on installation. Maybe you needed some of my magical McGiver powers :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
[...] the bedroom is about to be an amazing blue simply called Swimming :)

Nice.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Booked into a soft play centre this morning at 9am and literally had the place to ourselves. The girls were hyped after more than a year not setting foot in a place like that, whilst my wife and I chilled out and had coffee and croissants.

Housework and washing the cars was my afternoon tasks.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Booked into a soft play centre this morning at 9am and literally had the place to ourselves. The girls were hyped after more than a year not setting foot in a place like that, whilst my wife and I chilled out and had coffee and croissants.

Housework and washing the cars was my afternoon tasks.

Coffee and croissants sound lovely........

D

Deleted member 199

Today I finally (mostly) finished a second bench for some of those purchases - drill press, vice, etc. Also managed to drop a steel plate for a ladder onto my toe vertically, while moving it - basically like a really dull, and thankfully ineffective guillotine.
Got the drill press and vice installed on the bench today. Also simultaneously wired a closer power point (power socket?) and confirmed that the bench is strong enough to hold my not-so-dainty frame, because like an idiot I forgot to run the wiring out of the power box in the corner of the room before said bench was installed and thus in the way of a step ladder.

And, - this is the real winner for me - I also finally figured out why the whole god damn shed hums. Turns out I'm regularly an idiot, and didn't think about the ground loop that would result from hanging high bay LEDs with metal bodies to the metal frame with a metal chain. Not actually fixed yet, but serendipity was on my side today when I inadvertently dislodged the earth wire back to the RCD in the box while adding the new line to the bench, and as the saying goes: the silence was deafening.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Dad's Day!

Picking up the Tesla in a couple of hours! Weather sucks, but what are you going to do? ***STOKED***

Pizza & Wings and Beer! This is sort of a big deal as we've been on a serious burn, low/no carbs, big reduction in snacks/sodas, and __no__ booze since June 7th. The pizza is actually going to be low/no carb, didn't want to totally blow things out today, and we're back on the no booze tomorrow.

Got some movies queued up, going to setup Mansions of Madness while watching some rando horror flicks, maybe even something HPL themed to match the game :D

I hear I have a few "goodies" coming too, I didn't want anything, I suspect one thing is a replacement for something I lost on our last trip to Universal/Hard Rock (it was a Bubba tumbler ...)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Decent Brother phoned; he is house sitting for a friend, and he suggested that we have coffee, so we met for a most agreeable, and pleasant (outdoors) coffee, the first time I have laid eyes on him since last August.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
And, as Decent Brother remarked, thoughtfully, as we sat sipping coffee and chatting about our childhood, and our parents: "You know, we really had something approaching an idyllic childhood..."
From what you write, I’m sure you did.
Currently watching the Italy v Wales match. Unsurprisingly Italy currently lead. But only a goal in it, so not over by any stretch.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
From what you write, I’m sure you did.
Currently watching the Italy v Wales match. Unsurprisingly Italy currently lead. But only a goal in it, so not over by any stretch.

But he also made the point that none of us realised this at the time, and that, as this is your "normal", you kind of take it for granted until you come across (as I did at school, some of my classmates or school friends came from comfortable professional backgrounds, or were materially very well off, but from families that were utterly toxic, domestically) families for whom this was not - by any stretch of the imagination - the norm.

I said that I think a key element was that our parents not only loved each other, and looked out for one another, but that they liked, rated, respected, and supported one another.

They were very good friends who really enjoyed one another's company, until the day my father died.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Watched Wales in the football and felt they did rather well. Cleaned my car interior, topped my tyres up and rather looking forward to the commute to work in the morning now. All shirts ironed for the week and my biggest confession is I bought takeaway Sunday lunch today instead of cooking it. It was rather tasty and took me an hour or two to move afterwards lol.

Oh and bought a pair of Adidas Hamburg trainers as I love a pair of Adidas originals.

JamesMike

Power User
Reaction score
But he also made the point that none of us realised this at the time, and that, as this is your "normal", you kind of take it for granted until you come across (as I did at school, some of my classmates or school friends came from comfortable professional backgrounds, or were materially very well off, but were utterly toxic, domestically) families for whom this was not - by any stretch of the imagination - the norm.

I said that I think a key element was that our parents not only loved each other, but that they liked, rated, respected, and supported one another.

They were very good friends who really enjoyed one another's company, until the day my father died.

You were very lucky to have them for an example.

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
We went to see the Hitman’s Bodyguard’s Wife today. OMG! I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. If I laughed any harder I might have hurt myself. Selma Hayek is just amazing.
I might go see that, although I haven't seen the one before it yet.

D

Deleted member 199

Today (besides work) was hanging a shade sail above the garden that used to have a bunch of natural shade from trees, and re-hanging the suspended lights above said garden.

Some may have seen this shot before from when I replaced the carport gutters. I circled the trees in question. Yes, they are (or were) significantly taller than the pitched roof of our 2-storey house. Oodles of shade. We spent ages finding plants that specifically thrive in shady conditions, because nothing else would grow there.

Smother in Law decided the trees needed to be "trimmed", and hired a guy. They are now literally 2-storey high sticks in the ground, and provide zero shade to anything. The vast majority of the plants that we specifically bought because they'll do well in shade, are some shade of brown now (1-2 days after the shock of their lives). I forgot to get some photos of said sticks, I'll try to remember tomorrow and post back.

Attachments

• trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom
1 2