What are you doing today?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
They recommended some Tylenol III with codeine for me, but I'm gonna do what I did when I got my wisdoms removed: bite down on some gauze, and ENDURE.

Right now, it doesn't hurt much at all. Just the occasional twinge reminding me that there's a hole in my head where a tooth used to be.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
They recommended some Tylenol III with codeine for me, but I'm gonna do what I did when I got my wisdoms removed: bite down on some gauze, and ENDURE.

Right now, it doesn't hurt much at all. Just the occasional twinge reminding me that there's a hole in my head where a tooth used to be.
I'm the same way, I was hospitalized with a chest tube in and told them I only wanted regular extra strength Tylenol, not III with codeine. It sucked but I rode it out, that stuff just makes me loopy and nauseous.

Renzatic

Reaction score
I'm the same way, I was hospitalized with a chest tube in and told them I only wanted regular extra strength Tylenol, not III with codeine. It sucked but I rode it out, that stuff just makes me loopy and nauseous.

I've never taken codeine before, but I tell you, I was sorely tempted to fill that perscription while I was picking up my antibiotics.

I was doing pretty well immediately following the extraction, but while I at the store, the Novocain started to wear off properly, and I could feel my jaw tightening as my face swelled all the way from my ear to the right side of my nose. For about an hour there, I was not in a good mood. My poor pharmacist acted like she thought I was gonna jump across the counter at her when she said it'd take an hour to fill my order. I wasn't mad at her, I was just in EXTREME PAIN.

So I bought some ibuprofens, grabbed a bottle of water, and popped it out in the car. Now I'm doing pretty okay again. Only problem now is that I tawk liwke thish.

...this hasn't been the funnest day ever for me.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Once the Novocain wears off completely here in a few hours, I expect I'll be having the time of my life.

I hate Novocain. Give me nitrous and I’m fine. It weirds out the dentist that I get cavities filled without that agonizing numbing shot, but the drill isn’t as painful as the shot in the gum! I once had cauterization without Novocain. Nitrous is a wonderful invention.

When I had my hysterectomy, the doctor came in to visit to see how I was doing and asked what I’d had for pain. “Nothing,” I responded. “No pain.” He looked at me and said “well I’d feel a lot better if you took some Tylenol.” 😳

Renzatic

Reaction score
I hate Novocain. Give me nitrous and I’m fine. It weirds out the dentist that I get cavities filled without that agonizing numbing shot, but the drill isn’t as painful as the shot in the gum! I once had cauterization without Novocain. Nitrous is a wonderful invention.

I would've takent he nitrous if they offered it to me. That crap looks fun.

Though the shots weren't all that bad. I barely felt the ones I took to the gums. Only the one to the palate made me wince a bit.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I've never taken codeine before, but I tell you, I was sorely tempted to fill that perscription while I was picking up my antibiotics.

I was doing pretty well immediately following the extraction, but while I at the store, the Novocain started to wear off properly, and I could feel my jaw tightening as my face swelled all the way from my ear to the right side of my nose. For about an hour there, I was not in a good mood. My poor pharmacist acted like she thought I was gonna jump across the counter at her when she said it'd take an hour to fill my order. I wasn't mad at her, I was just in EXTREME PAIN.

So I bought some ibuprofens, grabbed a bottle of water, and popped it out in the car. Now I'm doing pretty okay again. Only problem now is that I tawk liwke thish.

...this hasn't been the funnest day ever for me.
Sounds like a rough day, hang in there. The ibuprofen will definitely help with the swelling part of things as well.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Tooth is pulled. It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Not that my dentist did a bad job. Quite the opposite. It's just that, you know, the thought of getting a bit of your head removed is a little uncomfortable.

There wasn't enough tooth left to just grab and yank apparently, so they had to break it apart, and pull all the little roots out individually. I was in that chair for over an hour, fingers in my mouth, listening all these cracking and drilling noises. Halfway through, I could feel the Novocain wearing off, so instead of just feeling a bit of pressure, it also took on a sore quality.

Once the Novocain wears off completely here in a few hours, I expect I'll be having the time of my life.

At least the waiting for the extraction itself to happen is in the rear view and you're outta that dentist's chair. Well done! But I sure do know what you mean about waiting for nerve endings to catch up with insult committed under anesthesia.

So to riff on that idea and distract you for a couple seconds... did you ever stub your toe really badly on something immovable, like a set of weights you didn't put back where they belonged? You KNOW what's coming... and you CANNOT stop it from happening because "it" already happened and your brain is just waiting for the news: just enough time for so much info to traverse such an amazing "grapevine" and deliver a punch with the heft of an all points bulletin kinda NYT headline.

All I could think of when that happened to me was a quick "this is gonna... OWWWWWW".

Speaking of typography and NYT headlines... and front pages... at least you were't featured in this one. Back in May when US covid-19 deaths passed one hundred thousand, the Times printed the names and a brief humanizing note from the obituaries of 1% of them on their front page. It was the front page that Sunday. No graphics. Solid typography top to bottom. And that was back in May. Now it's September and the death toll in the US approaches two hundred thousand.

I remember staring at that thing in May before starting to read it and a lot of things flashed through my mind.

Not just remembrances of how media had taken note of assorted milestones of death in the Vietnam War, for instance, either by the numbers with photos... or as singular photos like that of Eddie Adam's snapshot of the execution of a Viet Cong soldier, or the May 1970 photo by John Filo of Kent State student Mary Ann Vecchio crying out and kneeling over a fatally wounded Jeffrey Miller on the day the National Guard killed four student protestors and wounded nine others.​

But I was thinking on that day last spring more about how the USA in its popular histories has basically sanitized by summarization and statistics what happened to economies, cultures, to human civilization itself on this planet during the 1918 flu pandemic. This time around at least the USA media outlets of record just aren't having that. Part of that I think is because the US owns such a high percentage of those deaths for a "first world country" and part of it is just disbelief that our top level elected leaders have shown themselves so bereft of leadership qualities.

So yeah on this day while commiserating with you over that tooth gone to the dustbin but still plaguing you by its exit --and hoping you feel better soon! !-- it's impossible not also to commiserate with the whole planet over an affliction the end of which we can't even predict properly yet. I long for the time when we can reminisce on what we were up to "back during the pandemic of 2020..." and feel certain that covid-19 is in the rear view.

Meanwhile we've no clue what history will make of this era, but social media is certainly full of plenty notes on how we've all been trying to cope with the spinoff of such a society-disabling illness: everything from risky grocery-shopping expeditions and ghastly experiences of trying to home school kids of different ages to sublime virtual concerts and dance performances. Not everything about the internet is a disaster after all. At least we know we're providing historians with plenty input. Maybe this round of a viral pandemic will knock some political heads together for the next time.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
When I had my hysterectomy, the doctor came in to visit to see how I was doing and asked what I’d had for pain. “Nothing,” I responded. “No pain.” He looked at me and said “well I’d feel a lot better if you took some Tylenol.” 😳
I can't imagine what that pain must have been like, was it done through laparoscopy? If not I would think there's a lot of pain associated with a large incision. When I had my gallbladder taken out I arrived at 7 in the morning and was walking out of there by 11:30 that same morning, there was some pain but not a lot and I just took Tylenol.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't imagine what that pain must have been like, was it done through laparoscopy? If not I would think there's a lot of pain associated with a large incision. When I had my gallbladder taken out I arrived at 7 in the morning and was walking out of there by 11:30 that same morning, there was some pain but not a lot and I just took Tylenol.

It was not laparoscopic. But it was not painful. They even managed to remove some scar tissue left from two c-sections.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The first time I had a palate shot, the dentist failed to warn me how much it was going to hurt.

Since then, I will only go to a woman dentist, because I expect pain from women. I even told my regular dentist that, and she did not go to any extra lengths to punish me.

My dentist uses Carbacaine as there was some indication I have had allergic reactions to Novocain. Anyway that stuff, the carbacaine... takes a couple shots to get started, but then six hours later you might still not be really sure where your mouth is. Nice thing though is when it does finally wear off, no residual pain.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this thread (and commiserating with those who suffered blackened toes (been there, done that, wisdom teeth extractions, - been there, done that, too - and so on.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I'm keeping the old work website updated with stacks of new content from the marketing team while trying to write a new one. Yay. Talk about no motivation to load this content into the old site.....

Top Bottom
1 2