What are you doing today?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this thread (and commiserating with those who suffered blackened toes (been there, done that, wisdom teeth extractions, - been there, done that, too - and so on.

I'm not exactly sure how, but I've managed to go my entire life without breaking a toe. I've bashed them a few times, but never so bad I snapped one in two.

Of course, now that I've said that, I'm probably gonna break all of them at some point.

It's true. Those rose colored glasses are probably the only reason I'm still around....

I used to be that way, but recent events have made me a little more cynical.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how, but I've managed to go my entire life without breaking a toe. I've bashed them a few times, but never so bad I snapped one in two.

Of course, now that I've said that, I'm probably gonna break all of them at some point.

Mind yourself for the next ten days!! I often say I'm not superstitious but I dunno... see I do remember once bragging that I'd never fallen out of a tree... and that was about a week before a bunch of us engaged in a simultaneous parallel climb of a bunch of poplars at the far end of our backyard.

And yeah I fell after reaching about 30'... the shape of that particular tree did break my fall, so I ended up with a lot of rude scrapes and scratches and hairline fractures in a couple fingers from my having stretched out my hands, trying to keep branches off my face as I twisted around and hurtled towards the ground.

Fortunately those little fault lines healed up ok, although when the intern first looked at the xrays he said geez I hope you don't play the piano. Alas, I was not off that hook for more than the few weeks of wearing awkward splints. I think somehow that stubbing one's toe actually hurts more than at least my memory of having used my fingers to deflect tree branches. (tbh I don't know how I survived taking on all my brothers in a lot of their dick-measuring contests while we were kids, despite my obviously being essentially unprepared. )

Renzatic

Reaction score
Fortunately for me, all my adventures in accidents turn out to be less bone breaky, more gristly and gory. I'm one of a handful of people who can actually say they know what their shin look like underneath the skin.

I have so many cool scars, it ain't even funny.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Love @lizkat's recipes; and no, they are a subject matter that is perfectly at home in this thread.

And, as for miso soup.....yum.

Hey, is egg drop soup safe to eat when you have a hole in your head?

Do you have a clear chicken broth?

The sort that come from gentle poaching (at a low heat, for around two hours) of some (really good quality) chicken breasts, thighs, (skin and bone attached, because that is where the flavour is).

Restorative, tasty, soothing.

I'll let you recuperate.

Then, and only then, shall I regale you with the tale of my blackened (and I strongly, suspect, broken) toe.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Do you have a clear chicken broth?

The sort that come from gentle poaching (at a low heat, for around two hours) of some (really good quality) chicken breasts, thighs, (skin and bone attached, because that is where the flavour is).

Restorative, tasty, soothing.

Not immediately available, no. Since I'm nigh on starving at the moment, and thus lack the patience to make a good chicken broth, I'm going for restaurant bought egg drop soup.

I'll let you recuperate.

Then, and only then, shall I regale you with the tale of my blackened (and I strongly, suspect, broken) toe.

Oh, I'm fine. The bleeding's almost stopped, the swelling is down, and all that's left is a lingering soreness.

So tell me about your blackened toes.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this thread (and commiserating with those who suffered blackened toes (been there, done that, wisdom teeth extractions, - been there, done that, too - and so on.

We’re turning this into old people talk. Next we’ll start comparing our meds.

I shattered my big toe once. To this day it doesn’t bend. I was on the floor above the car park and needed to use the loo. But my book was in my car. Can’t sit without a book! So I ran for the car. It had been snowing (NYC area), and when I hit the now wet concrete from the melting snow I flew up in the air and came down right on my toe. Let me just say that was a loooooong month.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
This morning, I heard a drop of rain. Maybe three. Not enough to do anything. The sun looks like a wan cigar end, a faint ember. Tomorrow we are supposed to get actual rain. I would go out now and do a rain dance to hasten it, but I do not know the steps or chants, so I would be just flailing around inviting emphysema.

Renzatic

Reaction score
This morning, I heard a drop of rain. Maybe three. Not enough to do anything. The sun looks like a wan cigar end, a faint ember. Tomorrow we are supposed to get actual rain. I would go out now and do a rain dance to hasten it, but I do not know the steps or chants, so I would be just flailing around inviting emphysema.

The gods care not for your style, only your dedication.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We’re turning this into old people talk. Next we’ll start comparing our meds.

No meds yet except for that occasional ibuprofen when the sciatica demon pops in for a visit. So far that's been a rarity, enough so that I get pretty annoyed when I cannot find a small sized bottle of that drug because it eventually expires and I have to toss most or all of them.

I have a feeling I'll really get sticker shock, required Medicare Part D insurance plan notwithstanding, whenever I do end up with some prescription or other... just based on comments heard after village potluck dinners and fundraisers while we're washing up the dishes and putting the place to rights again. Meanwhile my idea of a lot of money to shell out for a drug is whatever the last bottle of ibuprofen cost me over the counter at the drugstore. Yes, I am counting my blessings while they persist.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a feeling I'll really get sticker shock, required Medicare Part D insurance plan notwithstanding, whenever I do end up with some prescription or other... just based on comments heard after village potluck dinners and fundraisers while we're washing up the dishes and putting the place to rights again. Meanwhile my idea of a lot of money to shell out for a drug is whatever the last bottle of ibuprofen cost me over the counter at the drugstore. Yes, I am counting my blessings while they persist.

Remember things like GoodRx. Things are frequently cheaper using that than using your insurance.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The gods care not for your style, only your dedication.
It was conclusively established 40 years ago that the gods are mentally unbalanced. I mean, look at Thor: he clearly has issues. You can call Athena kinky, but I think there is something else going on there. And Shiva just wants to break things. Lono, well, that one might be ok, but we have not been getting along with each other of late.

Renzatic

Reaction score
You can call Athena kinky, but I think there is something else going on there.

Probably some daddy issues.

So hey, I finally quit using the gauze on my jaw. My whole mouth feels funky and out of whack. I also keep having this problem where I get hungry and think, hey, I've got some fudge covered granola bars downstairs, only to realize that I can't have my fudge covered granola bars.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

So hey, I finally quit using the gauze on my jaw. My whole mouth feels funky and out of whack. I also keep having this problem where I get hungry and think, hey, I've got some fudge covered granola bars downstairs, only to realize that I can't have my fudge covered granola bars.

My one Chick-Fil-A exemption is their milkshakes. Highly recommend.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Plus you gotta feel it out with your tongue for the next week.

Renzatic

Reaction score
My one Chick-Fil-A exemption is their milkshakes. Highly recommend.

As a supposedly liberal type, I know I'm not supposed to like Chik-Fil-A, but...damnit, their chicken is so damn good.

Plus you gotta feel it out with your tongue for the next week.

I've been doing that since that chunk fell out of it. I'm afraid to do it now cuz I'm afraid of sucking the clot out.

U

User.45

As a supposedly liberal type, I know I'm not supposed to like Chik-Fil-A, but...damnit, their chicken is so damn good.

I've been doing that since that chunk fell out of it. I'm afraid to do it now cuz I'm afraid of sucking the clot out.
Why are we hating CFA now?:) Not that it matters to me, chicken is not on my menu.

Top Bottom
1 2