What are you doing today?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I don’t get the love of electric blankets. I spend my nights under a ceiling fan on high and if it’s below 60 with the window open. (Above 60 and the window unit goes on!)

The bakery I used to shop at when I lived in NY prior to moving down here has begun selling online. Shipping costs are insane, but their stuff is dirt cheap. I couldn’t resist. Today I received a huge box with a dozen real NY bagels (oh gods how I’ve missed them!), 3 bags of huge egg knot rolls, and a gorgeous cranberry raisin loaf that we will dig into for brekkie with copious amounts of butter.
Most of the year I‘d agree with you. Come summer I’ll fight to get the temperature down.

I guess residual heat/cold is the key. It is about more than the temperature shown by a thermometer. In the winter in this apartment everything is cool. The walls, the ceiling, the floor, the furniture... We‘re fighting against everything to bring the temperature up. In the summer the opposite applies. Everything is warm and we’re fighting against everything to bring the temperature down. In both cases we mainly only succeed to temporarily change the temperature of the indoor air. A reprieve. If the indoor temperature says 64 in the winter it means the bed can’t be warmer than that by itself, and probably is cooler. 64 in the summer on the other hand means the bed can’t be cooler than that, and probably is warmer.

Congratulations on your online bakery! :)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I need to do something about my gray beard, can't stand seeing myself on camera like that. Getting Just For Men from Amazon, should be here later today.
If you’re not kidding I’ll be curious to hear your results with JFM. I normally have a bigger, bushier beard but it’s so predominantly gray that it’s a total Santa Clause vibe. Took a poll among ladies I knew and they all said thumbs down on JFM.

So now I keep it short. Looks less gray. I don’t do as good a job as the barber shop across the street. Another COVID loss.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
If you’re not kidding I’ll be curious to hear your results with JFM. I normally have a bigger, bushier beard but it’s so predominantly gray that it’s a total Santa Clause vibe. Took a poll among ladies I knew and they all said thumbs down on JFM.

So now I keep it short. Looks less gray. I don’t do as good a job as the barber shop across the street. Another COVID loss.
I've been using it for years and it's great for my goatee but when I grew my beard all the way out and used it I got a lot of burning and itching so I would look that up and proceed with caution. With a much smaller area on my chin and lip it's a bit more tolerable and it does work really well with coloring, especially after the first couple of uses because it's sort of gradual. YMMV.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Work was the usual craziness. Spent most of my day sorting problems for other departments. Means my work will get done this weekend I guess. But I have gardening to do tomorrow. Better wrap up warm.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Ah, wonderful; daffodils are a - sort of psychological - shot in the soul (eyes, heart, mind) reminiscent of the glorious promise of spring.

Brilliant; I headed over to that thread, stared at and studied your lovely image with pure pleasure, and sighed....happily.

Thank you.

(Snow & sleet here today, dark and cold and miserable)...

So today I set about with the idea of shooting the entire bunch of daffodils but quickly realized that, oops, some of them had already wilted and had to be discarded (I should have realized that there was a reason they were so inexpensive in the store!) and then I dealt with the rest of the lot, trying this and that and the other approach, not really happy with anything. I swapped out backdrops and surfaces, I added-and-subtracted daffodils, I tried for group shots and individual shots.... These things are harder to shoot than one might suppose! Lighting wasn't right and I kept fiddling with that but was too lazy and getting too irritated to be bothered with retrieving and setting up a second light, which really was needed....

Anyway, here's another shot of cheery yellow sunshiney daffodils to brighten these dark, cold February days:

A Cluster of Daffodils.jpeg

Playing here with a single daffodil and sharp contrasts in color and overall impact:

Looking for the Sunshine.jpeg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
So today I set about with the idea of shooting the entire bunch of daffodils but quickly realized that, oops, some of them had already wilted and had to be discarded (I should have realized that there was a reason they were so inexpensive in the store!) and then I dealt with the rest of the lot, trying this and that and the other approach, not really happy with anything. I swapped out backdrops and surfaces, I added-and-subtracted daffodils, I tried for group shots and individual shots.... These things are harder to shoot than one might suppose! Lighting wasn't right and I kept fiddling with that but was too lazy and getting too irritated to be bothered with retrieving and setting up a second light, which really was needed....

Anyway, here's another shot of cheery yellow sunshiney daffodils to brighten these dark, cold February days:

View attachment 3460
Happy Friday night sigh.

Thank you; I love daffodils so much that I will happily (and gratefully) accept them - as an image, or as flowers of fact - in any form in which they may come.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Have a lovely warm sleep under your new electric blanket!!!

Well, as far as daffodils go these store-bought ones will have to suffice until we finally have Spring and at last are seeing them arising from the ground. I looked today at our front yard and not much action there yet, but it has been cold so far.....when it warms up I expect to see green leaves poking up first, and then eventually the arrival of delightful daffodils!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Have a lovely warm sleep under your new electric blanket!!!

Well, as far as daffodils go these store-bought ones will have to suffice until we finally have Spring and at last are seeing them arising from the ground. I looked today at our front yard and not much action there yet, but it has been cold so far.....when it warms up I expect to see green leaves poking up first, and then eventually the arrival of delightful daffodils!

Sleeting here; ugh.

But, my brand new electric blanket will be warmly welcoming me tonight.

Yes, I am also very much looking forward to the (welcome) appearance of daffodils rising from the ground.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
well we have 25 degrees and icy snow in portland. portland is really bad about cleaning thew streets it may take a day or two to do anything. so I didn't to want to take the bus to work as it has been snowing/icing all day and I don't want to spend hours getting home.
walked to the store and to entertain the grandkid. now the fun of entertaining ourselves. no bike riding this weekend. I cant even open the shop the lock is iced over.
IMG_2267.jpeg
IMG_2269.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Took hubby to get his first jab this morning. Great setup. About 45 minutes from arrival to departure. He didn’t feel a thing. It was a drive through event held on the floor of the Civic Center. Kinda like Disney rides where you line up in rows and go with your row, only it was all cars. Very slick. Very easy. He’ll still have his second jab long before I get the first.

Got home and got a delivery from hubby. Special blooms that will stay for up to a year!
E1040A24-2599-4EFF-B3F9-ADCDD1A04236.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The joys of a nice, warm bed........cosy, warm, welcoming, comforting. So much so, that I didn't want to leave it.

I had vaguely planned to head into the farmers' market today, but decided to forgo it, although supplies of fruit and vegetables (and bread) - and, indeed, eggs - are all very low.

However, some beer was delivered.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
The joys of a nice, warm bed........cosy, warm, welcoming, comforting. So much so, that I didn't want to leave it.

I had vaguely planned to head into the farmers' market today, but decided to forgo it, although supplies of fruit and vegetables (and bread) - and, indeed, eggs - are all very low.

However, some beer was delivered.
Well as long as you have beer and coffee you'll be fine.

Had a chat with my dad. He was busy making a lemon cake. Last week I spoke to him, it was a chocolate sponge. I think he's pretty board. He misses the pub, eating out and his golf.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Had a chat with my dad. He was busy making a lemon cake. Last week I spoke to him, it was a chocolate sponge. I think he's pretty board. He misses the pub, eating out and his golf.

Yes, beer and coffee are essentials.

Looking up the French bakery to see whether they can deliver bread to me........or will try the local bakery.

I can well imagine that your dad is bored; I cannot see a significant improvement before autumn, and it could well last a for further winter.

And, leaving aside the physical (in health terms) and economic costs, there will also be emotional and psychlogical costs to contend with.

Such sustained isolation is not healthy for most people, deprived of all of the basic contexts and reasons for human interaction.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, beer and coffee are essentials.

Looking up the French bakery to see whether they can deliver bread to me........or will try the local bakery.

I can well imagine that your dad is bored; I cannot see a significant improvement before autumn, and it could well last a for further winter.

And, leaving aside the physical (in health terms) and economic costs, there will also be emotional and psychlogical costs to contend with.

Such sustained isolation is not healthy for most people, deprived of all of the basic contexts and reasons for human interaction.
Indeed. I’m seeing it more and more in my work colleagues. Especially those that live alone.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Indeed. I’m seeing it more and more in my work colleagues. Especially those that live alone.

Obviously, there are enormous emotional costs for anyone who has suffered a bereavement, or tragedy, as a result of Covid.

The trauma of those truncated memorial servcies, or funerals, under Covid, or not being able to be with someone close to you as they are dying, sometimes dying alone, deprived of the comfort of close kin and family (or friends) - is unimaginable.

I've commented on this before, but I now think that we were almost blessed, in that we were able to be with my mother until the very end, and were able to care for her at home, and the support systems (creaking at times, yes) were in place, and we were able to take solace from the funeral.

Nevertheless, - apart from the interrupted educational opportunities and suppressed social development for young people (and consequent economic & social costs), I do think that prolonged isolation and deprivation of any and almost all human contact is not healthy - psychologically - or emotionally, or mentally, for people, and, when this is over - probably in yet another year or so - there will be a reckoning of sorts.

Because, long term, quality of life matters, too.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Obviously, there are enormous emotional costs for anyone who has suffered a bereavement, or tragedy, as a result of Covid.

The trauma of those truncated memorial servcies, or funerals, under Covid, or not being able to be with someone close to you as they are dying, sometimes dying alone, deprived of the comfort of close kin and family (or friends) - is unimaginable.

I've commented on this before, but I now think that we were almost blessed, in that we were able to be with my mother until the very end, and were able to care for her at home, and the support systems (creaking at times, yes) were in place, and we were able to take solace from the funeral.

Nevertheless, - apart from the interrupted educational opportunities and suppressed social development for young people (and consequent economic & social costs), I do think that prolonged isolation and deprivation of any and almost all human contact is not healthy - psychologically - or emotionally, or mentally, for people, and, when this is over - probably in yet another year or so - there will be a reckoning of sorts.

Because, long term, quality of life matters, too.
Indeed. Then there is the economic consequences. Governments have been borrowing to pay for furloughed staff, vaccines and other essentials. All the time whilst less taxes are coming in.
This will take years to put right. Tough times ahead. But if I get my family through it all I’ll settle for that.
Of course it’s a week today since my friend passed. Still getting used to the idea I can’t talk to her about this or that.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Indeed. Then there is the economic consequences. Governments have been borrowing to pay for furloughed staff, vaccines and other essentials. All the time whilst less taxes are coming in.
This will take years to put right. Tough times ahead. But if I get my family through it all I’ll settle for that.
Of course it’s a week today since my friend passed. Still getting used to the idea I can’t talk to her about this or that.

Economically, I would simply suggest that very long term bonds - payment (or re-payment) cycles of around a century - be used, or, something akin to Marshall Aid; the economy should be in the service of society, not vice versa.

However, more immediate personal tragedies and sorrows and grief will take longer to heal.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Headed out to buy bread (a brown multi-seeded thing that weighs as much as a brick) - earlier, I had phoned the bakery to hold one for me.

While there, well, it is cold, and dark, and dreary, and miserable, I thought to buy one or two other things: A slice of chocolate cake, (one was open, and they were selling it by the slice), some nuts, a few bakery biscuits, and the like.

And, had a chat with Decent Brother.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony

Mmmmm.....Lemon Cake! Last time I was at the store I looked for Lemon Bars -- their bakery produces pretty good ones -- but unfortunately none on offer. Lots of chocolate stuff, though, more than usual, and I recalled that they were probably preparing for Valentine's Day, and chocolate is the traditional treat then. Maybe next time I get to the store my Lemon Bars will be back again! If not, I'll inquire at the bakery counter.

Chilly and nasty here again today, as expected. Sigh......

Top Bottom
1 2