What are you doing today?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Eight inches fell here yesterday. FML

Edit: Sorry forgot to list my activity....sulking.

Wow! It's 63ºF here in the mountains this morning, w/ forecast high of 70º. A brazen little dandelion flower has even opened up in the lawn, to get a leg up on next spring, I suppose.

But I'm sulking too. I usually celebrate Election Day with a drop-in to the pizza shop over in town after voting. But is 2020 it's absentee voting for me, so today I walked my ballot out to the mailbox and all that was on the menu when I returned to the kitchen was an invitation to clean up the breakfast dishes and give the soup simmering at back of stove another stir. 😞

lizkat

Reaction score
I emailed to a friend that I had voted this morning, (i.e. walked the ballot out to the roadside mailbox) and got this by return email as a reminder of how fraught are the times we live in:

Well I mailed the ballot in anyway.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I emailed to a friend that I had voted this morning, (i.e. walked the ballot out to the roadside mailbox) and got this by return email as a reminder of how fraught are the times we live in:

Are you able to track in your state? I think everyone should be able to, I checked mine in CA this morning and got confirmation that it was received and counted.

lizkat

Reaction score
Are you able to track in your state? I think everyone should be able to, I checked mine in CA this morning and got confirmation that it was received and counted.

In New York State the local boards of election have tracking setups this year that let you track dates: when the ballot was applied for, when the ballot leaves the local Board of Elections office to be mailed to you, and then when it is logged back into the Board of Elections office by an official poll worker. The arrangements may differ by local BOE, I think. Here it's just a pdf file you can download for "status of absentee voting". I suppose in the more populated counties they fetch you back just your own info.

Before this year the only tracking that was available in NYS was for active military and people absentee-voting from abroad.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
But........this is perfectly idiotic.

I mean, there is a significant difference between the public and the private sphere and there is supposed to be a clear distinction between the professional and the personal, the sort of distinction where certain activities clearly lie to one side of this boundary.

Yes, Zoom and home working may serve to blur these distinctions, but, even at home, I would have thought that this is the sort of thing that is done in private, and if, for "an audience of one", certainly not during, or in parallel to, a work meeting.
Well it's implied that he was cheating on his wife, so probably had no time but that time. Purely stupid and selfish. Probably should get the boot from both jobs. At the very least, suspensions. I know I wouldn't/couldn't work with him after this.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Nada on my To-Do List today. So went for longish speed walk this morning: 4.5 miles. Plan to go for another after 3 p.m. (hope to get in another 3.5+ miles) and maybe go for the trifecta this evening.

Finally set up Health + Adidas Running and joined a couple running groups (more like speedy walking for me with my bad knee and ankles). Plan to lose my COVID19+ by the holidays.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Dinner (organic sautéed eggs, with fresh French bread) cooked, consumed and washing up done.

Also put on some basmati rice in the rice cooker as I plan to cook Indonesian fried rice tomorrow, but couldn't resist stealing some of the just cooked rice and mixing it with one of the eggs - which I had put aside - that had over-cooked (plus a little sambal oelek, a little soya sauce, and a little kecap manis) as a separate culinary offering.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
My brother, referred to as Decent Brother in The Other Country, - to whom I am close - has just phoned me; while cooking polenta on Sunday night, he burned his hand, second degree burns (and hadn't wanted to phone me on Monday, on account of my French class), or on Tuesday, because he was fed up.

So, we chatted for around an hour or so tonight.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Spent a good hour on the phone with my friend in Devon (he has 6 kids and no money!).

He has lost nearly 2 stone since his doctor told him he had diabetes and needed to lose weight or his health would deteriorate.

He said his motivation was how bad I said he looked when we last met up! I was deliberately cruel to be honest. He needed to hear it.

Anyway I was full of praise for him this evening. Hopefully he can lose the rest he needs to and maintain it. I think the lack of trips out is helping him.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Busier than usual today -- and this morning before doing anything I decided it would be best to simply not start following my usual routine of looking at forums, participating in forums, etc.... Instead, I turned on the computer, took care of a couple of email replies I needed to make, and then did a quick update of backups so that I then could take the external drives to the bank -- no appointment needed, hooray! The banks around here have finally begun opening their lobbies again for normal transactions, and what a relief that was to be able to just walk in and conduct my business! Brought home the external drives that had been in the safe deposit box since March.....aieee!!! It'll take a while to update them, but no matter, I'm just happy to have current, up-to-date backups in an offsite location, which is always highly recommended.

Took care of a couple other things today, too, and then did get outdoors to enjoy the unusually gorgeous day we had, but wasn't happy with the photos I shot, as I still had my mind on other things and really wasn't putting full effort into the shooting experience. That happens every now and then -- one big reason I am not engaged in doing a full-out formal Photo of the Day project!

When I drove past the library (our satellite early-voting precinct for my local jurisdictional district) I looked, and while there were a lot of cars in the parking lot, there were not the long lines that were experienced last week, so I think that most of us who were really, really eager to get our votes cast as soon as possible were the early birds and now others are moving along at their own pace. No matter, as long as everyone who can gets out and votes, whether it is through early voting procedures or waiting until Election Day itself.....

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Out briefly on local errands: Sparkling mineral water, butter, crisps ("chips" to Our Transatlantic Cousins), my organic milk, and organic double cream, plus a veritable haul of beer, some of which I transported home, in my Scandinavian handmade leather (reindeer hide) rucksack, and some of which shall be delivered tomorrow by the proprietor.

I also ordered some more coffee online (as, quelle horreur, I all but ran out of coffee earlier this week).

And, I paid a visit to my local pharmacy, to arrange to have the flu jab - the flu vaccine - administered, something I had discussed with my brother last night.

As long as Mother was alive, the flu jab was vital for her, but had also become necessary for everyone who was in close contact with her, which meant the carer, myself, and my brothers.

Of course, last year, as she was no longer around, she no longer required the flu jab, and both brothers and I decided that, in those circumstances, we didn't really need it for ourselves, and no longer needed it for her protection. However, this year - with the advent of Covid-19, a highly contagious respiratory condition - matters are a little different, and the flu jab strikes me as a sensible precaution in the circumstances, something with which my brother concurred last night, saying he intends to have it administered also for himself.

Anyway, in the pharmacy, they informed me that they have run out, they have none, they do not know when they can expect to receive a fresh consignment of the flu vaccine, and therefore, a queue system is in place for when a delivery arrives, and - as of today - I am number two hundred and something.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Wow, SS! I hope that the pharmacy receives a new shipment of the flu vaccine quickly! That's something I need to do soon, too, either this week or next, go and get my flu shot. I have it on my list of things to do but it keeps getting pushed aside. Last year I did the same thing, procrastinated and the next thing you know the flu season was past. This year, though, as you mention, it's really a different situation with the COVID-19 virus also running rampant, Definitely getting the flu vaccine is a very sensible precaution while we all wait for the vaccine against COVID-19.....

lizkat

Reaction score
and therefore, a queue system is in place, and - as of today - I am number two hundred and something.

Some kinfolk yesterday were joshing about how cool it would be if you could pull up to a cashier's window and stick your arm out elbow first and get a flu jab the way you pick up fast food orders.

Sorry you have such a wait on hand. Sounds like lots of folks trying to get that flu shot earlier than usual this year, which makes sense but probably has messed up pharmacy orders all over the place in the early going.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Out briefly on local errands: Sparkling mineral water, butter, crisps ("chips" to Our Transatlantic Cousins), my organic milk, and organic double cream, plus a veritable haul of beer, some of which I transported home, in my Scandinavian handmade rucksack, and some of which shall be delivered tomorrow by the proprietor.

I also ordered some more coffee online (as, quelle horreur, I all but ran out of coffee earlier this week).

And, I paid a visit to my local pharmacy, to arrange to have the flu jab administered, something I had discussed with my brother last night.

As long as Mother was alive, the flu jab was vital for her, but had also become necessary for everyone who was in close contact with her, which meant the carer, myself, and my brothers.

Of course, last year, as she was no longer around, she no longer required the flu jab, and both brothers and I decided that, in those circumstances, we didn't really need it for ourselves, or, for her protection. However, this year - with the advent of Covid-19, a highly contagious respiratory condition - matters are a little different, and the flu jab strikes me as a sensible precaution in the circumstances.

Anyway, in the pharmacy, they informed me that they have run out, they have none, they do not know when they can expect to receive the flu vaccine, and therefore, a queue system is in place, and - as of today - I am number two hundred and something.

Wow, SS! I hope that the pharmacy receives a new shipment of the flu vaccine quickly! That's something I need to do soon, too, either this week or next, go and get my flu shot. I have it on my list of things to do but it keeps getting pushed aside. Last year I did the same thing, procrastinated and the next thing you know the flu season was past. This year, though, as you mention, it's really a different situation with the COVID-19 virus also running rampant, Definitely getting the flu vaccine is a very sensible precaution while we all wait for the vaccine against COVID-19.....
We got ours last week, I always hate doing it and particularly so during this pandemic going around health workers. Kaiser offers a drive-through and they were pretty careful about it, changing gloves in between each person and allowing a couple of minutes for the air to clear before calling the next car down, so it felt pretty safe.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Available again. Last time I posted in the "Health Workout" thread at MR, then specifically in a thread where I guy was specifically asking for a product like this, no response, so forget posting there again, but in case anyone here is interested ...

These are almost always on backorder, etc.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Some kinfolk yesterday were joshing about how cool it would be if you could pull up to a cashier's window and stick your arm out elbow first and get a flu jab the way you pick up fast food orders.

Sorry you have such a wait on hand. Sounds like lots of folks trying to get that flu shot earlier than usual this year, which makes sense but probably has messed up pharmacy orders all over the place in the early going.

We got ours last week, I always hate doing it and particularly so during this pandemic going around health workers. Kaiser offers a drive-through and they were pretty careful about it, changing gloves in between each person and allowing a couple of minutes for the air to clear before calling the next car down, so it felt pretty safe.

To be honest, I am somewhat surprised: Actually, I am very surprised.

I recall that we had sent the carer trotting down to the pharmacy for her jab, and - when Mother was alive - it was exceptionally easy to arrange, one or two phone calls to make, or confirm, an appointment, and a day or two, to wait, at most.

These days, I assume that there is an exceptionally heavy demand with Covid, and, moreover, that everyone who may be deemed vulnerable (or a "front line" worker) will receive priority.

However, I will admit to astonishment that this - receiving the jab - could (and probably will) take several weeks.

Moreover, my brother explained how consultations with doctors have been transferred with Covid, as a lot is done by phone rather than in person; initially, with his hand injury, there was a phone consultation - (how many people - even with advanced education and supremely articulate, can advocate for - or, are capable of advocating for, themselves medically, or, describing accurately what ails them?), followed - well, it was a second degree burn on the palm of his hand with two fingers out of action at the moment - by a visit in person as the thing needed to be treated and dressed and prescriptions written and given.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I scored a killer deal on a "new" Apple Watch. Series 5, 44mm, mint condition (like seemingly unworn), all accessories, docs, packaging, the band wasn't even opened. ~ 3 months old, AC+ till mid-2022 (that's being transferred to my name).

$270.

Top Bottom
1 2