What Movie Are You Watching?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
1500x500.jpeg

Saturday night we streamed…

House of Gucci

I'll give it a 6/10.

Ridley Scott is a most frustrating Director, IMHO. Hit and miss.

Anyway. House of Gucci is a miss.

Yeah, yeah, everyone's gaga over Lady Gaga. But even she was pretty meh.

The rest are godawful. The thickest fake Italian accents you can imagine. *Cringe*

A lot of rich (but not rich enough) monsters. And shit loads of bad taste.

I've been known to say I'll watch anything with Jeremy Irons in it at least once, but that was awhile ago and I might let this one pass me by.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how films work :D Particularly when it's science fiction, emphasis on fiction. :geek:
Some stories are harder to accept than others. Time paradoxes have hurdles they have to overcome any personal bias. And just because you figure out how an alien bran perceives time and reality in a different way than you, does not mean your brain, because you thought about it would rewire itself and poof the human race magically throws a switch their heads. I guess is the premise is, the capacity was always there, but a trigger, meeting aliens, was required to make it happen. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been known to say I'll watch anything with Jeremy Irons in it at least once, but that was awhile ago and I might let this one pass me by.
After seeing Jared Leo stunning in Bladerunner 2049, I’d like to see him perform with all that makeup on. :)

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Actually out of a bad bunch, he wasn't all that bad.

Now, Al Pacino? Jared Leto? Yikes! Caricature acting at its worst. 🙂

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The Feast
2021 | 1h 33m | <not rated>

A wealthy family has a dinner party at its home in the Welsh mountains, hosting a local businessman and farmer who hope to broker a business deal. A mysterious young woman arrives to be the family's waitress, and things begin to unravel.

It's fun, it's a nice slow burn, great performances, terrific social commentary, and the dialog is in Welsh (obv. with subs provided).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Al Pacino, apart from The Godfather trilogy, not much comes to mind.

Heat
Dog Day Afternoon
Serpico
Carlito's Way
Scarface
Glengarry Glen Ross

I agree he kind of became a caricature of himself, with the HOOO AHHH, and the scenery chewing insanity of movies like The Devil’s Advocate, but he's had some good runs, and his pre-90s stuff is mostly pretty fantastic.

lizkat

Reaction score
Wait, Godfather trilogy? You must be mistaken, there are only two films in that series ...

Laughing enough to spill my tea... because two hours ago I was refreshing the on-laptop stock of my purchased films and elected to put only the first two of the Godfather back on the drive.

I admit the third one grew on me a little bit after seeing it a couple times, but it remains pale in light of the first two.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Laughing enough to spill my tea... because two hours ago I was refreshing the on-laptop stock of my purchased films and elected to put only the first two of the Godfather back on the drive.

I admit the third one grew on me a little bit after seeing it a couple times, but it remains pale in light of the first two.

:D

Have you seen the newly edited 3rd film? I guess the official name is: The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone

Sounds like an improvement, we're going to give it a shot some time. From the second review above:

I’m happy to report that my saint-like charity and/or ignorance was duly rewarded. Whether it’s because of the subtle (but significant) alterations that Coppola has made to the movie, the relative lack of baggage that I brought to the movie, or some combination of the two, “The Godfather Coda” is a far more poignant capstone to the Corleone saga than “The Godfather Part III” has ever been widely considered; it’s often gripping, sometimes masterful, and almost never betrays its history as the work of a wayward giant scrambling back toward respectability after a long decade lost in the wilderness.

lizkat

Reaction score
:D

Have you seen the newly edited 3rd film? I guess the official name is: The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone

Sounds like an improvement, we're going to give it a shot some time. From the second review above:

I’m happy to report that my saint-like charity and/or ignorance was duly rewarded. Whether it’s because of the subtle (but significant) alterations that Coppola has made to the movie, the relative lack of baggage that I brought to the movie, or some combination of the two, “The Godfather Coda” is a far more poignant capstone to the Corleone saga than “The Godfather Part III” has ever been widely considered; it’s often gripping, sometimes masterful, and almost never betrays its history as the work of a wayward giant scrambling back toward respectability after a long decade lost in the wilderness.

Haven't seen it yet, but I will. Coppola can't leave anything alone, can he. He gets away with it because his tinkering usually turns up an improvement.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Since we're on the topic of the Godfather films, have you seen The Godfather Saga? It's I and II combined into a single film that presents them chronologically (as well as adding some additional footage). So it opens with Vito as a child in Corleone, Sicily (the opening of 2).

Hahaha, funny enough I almost made a Godfather reference just the other day in the trump plane going down thread, someone mentioned the pilots, I was going to say, well, someone needs to pull a Rocco Lampone ...

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram

Well you can obviously tell I'm no movie connoisseur. 😀

Wait, Godfather trilogy? You must be mistaken, there are only two films in that series ...

lizkat

Reaction score
Well you can obviously tell I'm no movie connoisseur. 😀

Me either... I put some of the Godfather films back onto my laptop after having read some NYT piece that was talking about Coppola's revisiting the original of the series, this more of a restoration to be billed as the 50th anniversary release, due in theatres toay and to home video on March 22. Just curious to see some of the stuff Coppola and his interviewer were discussing in that piece. About contrast and intentional near-underexposure and so forth.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
The Batman (2022). Surprisingly fresh despite being yet another reboot.

I think I approve of most things they tried to do with it. Heck, most of them even worked out well enough, just one thing I would totally have vetoed.

Probably not necessary to watch this one on the big screen, though.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The Feast
2021 | 1h 33m | <not rated>

A wealthy family has a dinner party at its home in the Welsh mountains, hosting a local businessman and farmer who hope to broker a business deal. A mysterious young woman arrives to be the family's waitress, and things begin to unravel.

It's fun, it's a nice slow burn, great performances, terrific social commentary, and the dialog is in Welsh (obv. with subs provided).

Oh yeah, it takes place [mostly] in this house:

It’s amazing.

It’s also the house used in pretty decent horror film, You Should Have Left, starring Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Huntn Shouldn't you be drinking pina coladas and jumping off cliffs ...
What do you think we did today? ;) Actually today was the dreaded arm twisting to buy a time share, not all day, but longer than I would have liked when my wife ganged up on me with the sales
lady. Glad to report I resisted, but more on this in another thread.

Top Bottom
1 2