What Movie Are You Watching?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Huntn

Yeah, we've been waiting for this to hit a cheap rental or free on our services, seems like most people had your reaction. That it's fun, some nice nostalgic moments for those of us who grew up on the originals, some really likable actors - and it has sort of a sweet metacontextualness with the son/father director story.
We paid $5.99 Vudu.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We paid $5.99 Vudu.

Hahaha, yeah, I'll only pay $2 or less :ROFLMAO: I have this odd frugality about some stuff, yet I'm sort of who cares about other things. Who knows ...

Semi-recently I was scoring amazing deals from Redbox, we had a player downstairs (PS4P), the Redbox at the grocery right down the street (where I could at least return if I didn't rent it there). It was usually a $1.25 off, so like $0.81 (OTD) for a Blu-Ray rental which is hard to beat. The Pubs pulled the box, so that makes is a little more of a PITA, so I usually just wait for a cheap streaming rental, because __everything__ winds up free at some point. Plus, the PS4P migrated up to the extra bedroom for the little G, I have a nice Sony BD player in the gear closet, I guess I pull that out if I was super inclined to rent one.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Hahaha, yeah, I'll only pay $2 or less :ROFLMAO: I have this odd frugality about some stuff, yet I'm sort of who cares about other things. Who knows ...

Semi-recently I was scoring amazing deals from Redbox, we had a player downstairs (PS4P), the Redbox at the grocery right down the street (where I could at least return if I didn't rent it there). It was usually a $1.25 off, so like $0.81 (OTD) for a Blu-Ray rental which is hard to beat. The Pubs pulled the box, so that makes is a little more of a PITA, so I usually just wait for a cheap streaming rental, because __everything__ winds up free at some point. Plus, the PS4P migrated up to the extra bedroom for the little G, I have a nice Sony BD player in the gear closet, I guess I pull that out if I was super inclined to rent one.

As a result of getting used to not paying per view because of plenty of options in some streaming subs, I too have gotten sticker shock or worse at the idea of shelling out for a PPV or limited-time rental at all. I flipped my Netflix from DVD to streaming back when Apple yanked the optical drives out of their newer machines, even though I had no immediate need to update my gear.

You're right that eventually everything turns up on the net, maybe not free (yet, in all genres) but they do show up in some venue I either have a sub to or can usually just churn into for a little while.

Funny how even five years ago I was still moaning about Apple having pulled the OD out of the laptops. Now I only moan when someone mentions a flick I know I have on DVD and I regard it a PITA to walk across the room, locate the thing and then boot one of the laptops that can still play it. 🤪

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
A while back when I bought something, Apple provided me with a free subscription to Apple TV+ and then they extended it for a longer period. During that entire time I never got around to watching anything so eventually canceled the subscription when the fees began kicking in. Sure, $4.99/ month is a bargain if one watches a lot of movies and TV shows/series, but if they don't, as I seem not to do, it's throwing that money out the window and getting nothing. So of course what happens? Apple brings out this film that I really want to see and in the old days I could simply rent it via iTunes, but apparently that isn't possible any more; one has to have the Apple TV+ subscription now. Sigh.... I think I will look through the catalog and see what else is available and try to watch that before once again canceling the subscription.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
A while back when I bought something, Apple provided me with a free subscription to Apple TV+ and then they extended it for a longer period. During that entire time I never got around to watching anything so eventually canceled the subscription when the fees began kicking in. Sure, $4.99/ month is a bargain if one watches a lot of movies and TV shows/series, but if they don't, as I seem not to do, it's throwing that money out the window and getting nothing. So of course what happens? Apple brings out this film that I really want to see and in the old days I could simply rent it via iTunes, but apparently that isn't possible any more; one has to have the Apple TV+ subscription now. Sigh.... I think I will look through the catalog and see what else is available and try to watch that before once again canceling the subscription.
You've never tried Ted Lasso?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

I use the website Just Watch to find where stuff is rentable or can be streamed under a subscription.

Can just stick the movie title into their search bar.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
You've never tried Ted Lasso?
Nope! Just from the descriptions I've seen, I don't think that series would appeal to me.....

There is a crime series that I think it's the brilliant actress Octavia Spencer stars in (?) that I've been kind of interested in so am thinking of checking that out.

For a while I just ignored everything available on Apple TV+ but over the next few weeks I'm going to be checking in and seeing what is appealing to me that I would actually enjoy watching now that I'm signed up again....

Liz, thanks for that link to the rentals or free views, too, as I suspect that could be very useful to me. I have a long list of movies that I've always wanted to see but somehow never got around to viewing at the time of their popularity....now is as good a time as any!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Liz, thanks for that link to the rentals or free views, too, as I suspect that could be very useful to me. I have a long list of movies that I've always wanted to see but somehow never got around to viewing at the time of their popularity....now is as good a time as any!

If you register, you can also setup what services you have, so the filters have a little more context. I use it on the web and as an app, super handy!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Usually I watch a lot of movies in the winter but this year I didn't for some reason.....and now with nice weather eventually coming chances are that I'll be sitting out on my deck in the evenings and not in the house watching films.

I should go ahead and register for that site, and then I'll be good to go when I'm in the mood to watch something. That is handy to be able to set up the app and the web site so that filters have more context and such. Thanks!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nightmare Alley (2021)- Watch this if you want to see good portrayals in the throughly depressing film noir story that drags. 1940, a carnival, a huckster. It has atmosphere If you can stay awake, yet atmosphere does not a story make. :unsure: Someone said there is a payoff at the ending, but the payoff was not worth the time invested imo. Note, it really flopped at the box office.

Today my impression is that film noir primarily appeals to older people, but I think if the story was good enough, maybe, and consider it is competing with Marvel, science fiction, and fantasy. It had better be a damned compelling narrative, something like Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon or even Dixon Hill. ;) Of course those gets thumbs up. First time I watch the MF was in college.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Huntn

Yeah, for classic film noir, just work through the Billy Wilder and John Houston catalogs :)

Modern movies (but still period), probably doesn't get any better than L.A. Confidential, and some really cool modern takes on the genre (kind pushing into neo-noir): Momento, Brick, The Last Seduction, and you can really make a case for movies like Usual Suspects, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, having some of the same DNA

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@Huntn

Yeah, for classic film noir, just work through the Billy Wilder and John Houston catalogs :)

Modern movies (but still period), probably doesn't get any better than L.A. Confidential, and some really cool modern takes on the genre (kind pushing into neo-noir): Momento, Brick, The Last Seduction, and you can really make a case for movies like Usual Suspects, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, having some of the same DNA

Speaking of John Huston, that reminds me it's time to watch Chinatown again.

Brian DePalma's The Black Dahlia is another great flick.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Love Chinatown, somewhere there's a DVD of it right in this room. But I do want to boot up the old MBP to watch it? Probably not... so HBO Max sub comes to the rescue, it's streaming there.

Wow, it looks really fantastic too. The notes/description (on HBOMax) don't indicate any kind of XX Anniversary remastering or such, but it definitely looks much better vs. the last time I recall seeing it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, JFC, yeah, it's trending pretty bad.

I don't even belong to the No Jareds Club or anything, but he does seem to continuously give me a headache ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh wow, the press tour for Thor: Love and Thunder has started ... but still no trailer! People are assuming this will drop very soon, otherwise, every presser will just be asking about it ...

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh wow, the press tour for Thor: Love and Thunder has started ... but still no trailer! People are assuming this will drop very soon, otherwise, every presser will just be asking about it ...
No trailer means no release to me, at least not soon. I’ve seen trailers 12 months prior to release. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Some people are suggesting that this photo from Chris Hemsworth's IG (Taika Waititi left, Tessa Thompson right):

1649251109093.png

Is a "coded" message about the trailer release date :D i.e., from left to right 11, 4, 22, like a date, 11/04/2022, April 11 ...

Hahaha, that's a bit of a reach, but I do see Marvel hasn't made any changes to the July 8, 2022 release date, and Taika Waititi was quoted saying something like, "Oh, there are some minor reshoots, but we'll be done ...", like done in time? The problem with moving the movie is it moves their whole schedule around since they have a very specific release timeline.

Top Bottom
1 2