What Movie Are You Watching?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just saw that Thor: Love and Thunder will be premiering on Disney+ on September 8th. We didn't see it at the theater, so this is extra cool for us :)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just saw that Thor: Love and Thunder will be premiering on Disney+ on September 8th. We didn't see it at the theater, so this is extra cool for us :)
Great news! I keep telling my husband that it’s coming so I don’t want to go see it at the theatre. Truth is, I just no longer enjoy going to the movies.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Great news! I keep telling my husband that it’s coming so I don’t want to go see it at the theatre. Truth is, I just no longer enjoy going to the movies.
When new films get a theatrical release, I sometimes tack them onto a streaming watch list with an asterisk to remind me to look for them when they do start streaming, but then often find I don't like them anyway.

I quit going to movie theatres by the late 70s because the sound levels were too much for my ears. Kept thinking that somehow all the hippies who in the 60s lost 80% of their hearing at rock concerts or playing in garage bands without earplugs must have settled down to jobs as projectionists in cinemas. 🤪

Anyway I ended up with a long backlist of pretty good films that are already in streaming or rental mode now.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

The industry has definitely experienced a permanent change, while going to the movies is a thing again (see the boxoffice from Top Gun, Gru, heck, even JW: Dominion, Thor, Strange, etc.), some studios recognize that things are different.

Case in point:

They even got JLC as Laurie Strode to do a sort of "we get it" PSA ...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1562123791710318597/

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We know we can count on you to keep us up to date on anything having to do with Halloween.

Almost time to reveal your plans for this year's spooky house decor, no? :D

Yeah, we are nutty about Halloween. :D

But ...

After 20 years of doing it up, usually excessively, we are seriously thinking about going __dark__, like we wouldn't even be home. o_O

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)​

Nicolas Cage plays himself, as an over the hill actor who goes on an adventure. It was ok, watchable, not great with surprisingly good reviews at Rotten Tomatoes.

5B94BE37-D0F1-4287-A21C-3B3F68E6EAB7.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We watched Samaritan with Sylvester Stallone last night. The kid is adorable, and I must admit I didn’t constantly roll my eyes at Sly. Glad I didn’t have to pay to see it in a theater.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We got a free trial of Starz through Amazon Prime VIdeo, had a couple of movies we wanted to see, figured, a quick setup, cancel, 7 days as much as we can watch. :D

Side note: yikes, the Amazon UI on AppleTV is poop - specifically the playback controls. When you side-swipe, it moves like 15 seconds forward/back, you can hold the edge and then do a kind of hold release-and-click to go 2x or 3x, but half the time it doesn't work. I'd guess an actual paid sub we'd go direct and use their app.

Anyway ...

While we had Starz we watched:

NEW TO US
--------------------------------
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Spiral: FTBOS
Don't Breathe 2
Escape Room: TOC
Venom: LTBC
Equalizer 2
Resident Evil: WTRC
MIB: International

REWATCH
--------------------------------
This is the End
Fallen
Bone Collector (had a Denzel Fest :D)
A Time to Kill

(Those are all terrific)

Umm, no super specific reviews, just a few comments:

Ghostbusters was a remake of the first movie with a ton of fan service, and a nice goodbye to Ramis (and even Ivan), which was good for us.
Spiral, gross, fun, I like the idea of stories of Saw, Chris Rock and SLJ were great.
Venom, more of the same just dialed up to 11, Harrelson fun as always.
The surprise on the list was probably Resident Evil, it was the original game come to life, and well done, if you're a fan of the game series, it's a blast.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Captain Marvel (2019)- Marvelous! A top tier Marvel Infinity Stone entree. Kree vs Skroll, a story of misdirection. Guest appearance by Ronin. By virtue of absorbing the power of the Tesseract, Captain Marvel is one of the strongest characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sequel estimated release Summer 2023.

1C1CBD9E-CB05-49EB-89AD-24956B9F96A6.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ant Man (2015)- Scott Lang, busted cat burglar and all around good guy gets small. I like Paul Rudd. Top Tier Marvel story in the Infinity Stone Universe, but no Infinity Stones in this specific story arc.

25F3906A-B620-44C1-ABDD-76519AF74692.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched Thor L&T. Wow, disappointing. I was in a forgiving mood, too.
We watched it Friday night. I thought it was great! But I’m one of those people who hated the first Thor movies because the guy is not a serious actor, but he nails comedy! Matching him up with Guardians of the Galaxy was the best thing they could have done for the character.
The highlight was the goats.
I think they got the idea from the Princess Bride. Every time the goats made an appearance I would guffaw, turn to my husband, and say “I fucking love the goats!”

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We watched it Friday night. I thought it was great!

Yeah, we wound up having fun with it! My expectations - based on reading a lot of reviews from people who I usually agree with - were low. But we really adjusted our heads, didn't care about its place in the greater MCU, whether it led to anything new for Phase <whatever>. It was a little more chaotic than Ragnarok, and was a bit more zany, while having more stakes (that being one of the complaints, kind of extremes of tone), but it didn't matter to us.

Ragnarok is clearly the better film, but this was a plenty satisfying 2 hours on a Friday night with tasty bevs :D

Top Bottom
1 2