What Movie Are You Watching?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Until they were overplayed them, then it got old fast. It would be like doing the Frau Bleucher joke through the entire movie, whose name I’lll keep some of you guessing. :)

My oma always said “man kann nie zu viele Ziegen haben”

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ant-man and the Wasp (2018)- Outstanding sequel. In a post credit scene Scott Lang misses the snap.

5725E79E-5A7A-476F-B5C1-0C807E498A4F.jpeg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. This came out when I was in high school and I’m no Ferris, but I skipped the maximum allowable amount of school (my grades showed it). It’s very well directed, with a singular breezy vibe that pretty much amounts to “fuck it, let’s have fun”. It’s aging quite well, IMO.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
An HBO docu - The Newspaperman: The Life and Times of Ben Bradlee

Always wanted to watch that, if only to try to stop thinking of Jason Robards when Bradlee's name is mentioned. It was easy to start pasting Robards over Bradlee after one had watched All the President's Men a few times.

But... Robards really did have Bradlee's ways down cold for that Watergate era flick, as it turns out, so I'll probably still end up thinking of Robards when bumping into references to Bradlee. That's comical, really, since I lived through that era and did see the real Bradlee on TV news interviews a few times, at the height of both the Watergate and Pentagon Paper brouhahas between Nixon and the Washington Post. There was no internet back then and no cable TV, so it was about just newspapers and broadcast television news in the morning and evening, with radio bulletins for breaking news in the interim hours.

Of course we know a bit more about Bradlee, Nixon and the Kennedys as well by now --and Bradlee's conflicts of interest in the JFK era-- because there's a bit less of a good old boys' club nowadays about behind-scenes behavior of not only politicians but also journalists and editors who can become too cozy with the subjects of their news articles. Still, even back then the WaPo publisher Kay Graham was concerned that Bradlee was too close to JFK to have an objective view of his administration.

The docu is pretty good. Scrapes some of the varnish off the legend of Bradlee, but also highlights how tenacious he was during the fight to publish the rest of the Pentagon Papers after the Nixon administration took the NYT to court for printing some of them. It was a pretty daring move considering that at that very time, the then family-owned Washington Post was in the middle of an initiial public offering. There was a lot on the line there financially --maybe everything-- had the Supreme Court gone the other way on the case, but it went 6-3 in favor of allowing the papers to continue printing the rest of the stories based on the Pentagon Papers. One can wonder about the current court and how some First Amendment cases might fare nowadays.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Quote eager to see The French Dispatch but wary of the glowing critics reviews because it seems a similar situation to The Darjeeling Limited reviews. I like that film but I wouldn’t put it in the Wes Anderson top 3 but it’s often spoken of as his best.

Edit: I was tired last night. I didn’t mean Darjeeling Limited, I meant The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I'm watching The French Dispatch right now.

Hah, I'm pretty sure that both the Darjeeling Limited and the Grand Budapest Hotel plus a little Keystone Cops and a smattering of Succession all passed before the cameras as Wes Anderson decided which way to take the story on some particular day of shooting... along with a lot of other hilarious takes on (and kinda-inside jokes about) the idiosyncrasies of The New Yorker's editorship and staffing back in the day.​

I'm really enjoying it. It makes me want to fish through the archives of The New Yorker and find a few of the pieces I vaguely remember that might easily have triggered some of the wisecracks offered up so far.

[ You know that magazine was really something to treasure though... you could actually call them up and ask about some article or poem you were trying to round up, and give them practically zero info to go on, and they had people working there for decades who remembered EVERYTHING... I'm serious. In less than two minutes one of their staff identified for me the right issue for the week they published something "around Valentine's Day, not sure what year, and the poem was about falling out of an airplane?". Two minutes. For a poem I couldn't remember author, title, year... or even if it was in Harpers or The New Yorker! ]

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Alien on iTunes for $4.99 (purchase), 4K/HDR, '79 Theatrical and '03 DC versions, 4 hours of extras.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Same day purchase!

1663195977467.png

(Well, 09/20 digital, we don't really do physical media purchases ...)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
The new Netflix series is SO MUCH better!
Isn’t the series on Amazon Prime?

But I agree wholeheartedly. The TV version is superior because Alan Ritchson fits the part much more than Tom Cruise. It’s not just his physical appearance - I think he nails the character too.

I also enjoyed seeing Bruce McGill (Daniel Simpson Day from Animal House) and liked Willa Fitzgerald as Roscoe.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Top Gun Maverick (2022)- Good movie! Entertaining, exciting, a huge bow to it’s past, great practical effects and visuals just maintain some suspension of disbelief and you’re good to go! :D

Yeah man, that's why it's a fictional, action/drama, not a documentary :D

I’ve been wanting to see this. Is it available to rent yet? Last I checked, I could only buy it.

Looks like most of the usual suspects have it to rent now :cool:

1663934766478.png

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to see this. Is it available to rent yet? Last I checked, I could only buy it.
Yes available to rent.
Yeah man, that's why it's a fictional, action/drama, not a documentary :D

Looks like most of the usual suspects have it to rent now :cool:

View attachment 17967
Movies don’t have to be documentaries to be realistic. I was being kind, I should of said, hard core suspension of disbelief was required. Did you read the link I included? The premise of the story is unbelievably silly at best, beyond ridiculous at worst, and a remake of Star Wars Episode 4 Scenario, kill the Death Star. And no way would a modern day military strike be planned this way under any circumstance. :D

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

But I agree wholeheartedly. The TV version is superior because Alan Ritchson fits the part much more than Tom Cruise. It’s not just his physical appearance - I think he nails the character too.

I also enjoyed seeing Bruce McGill (Daniel Simpson Day from Animal House) and liked Willa Fitzgerald as Roscoe.
I always get the streaming services confused. You’re right, it’s Prime. I’ve been a big Bruce McGill fan since the original MacGyver. And of course, how can you not love Malcolm Goodwin (iZombie), who has always reminded me of melanated Billy Crystal.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Ok, I’ll have to try this. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
And of course, how can you not love Malcolm Goodwin (iZombie), who has always reminded me of melanated Billy Crystal.

He's going to be in the new Mike Flanagan show (that's the Haunting of [...] / Midnight Mass creator), yeah, really like him quite a bit.

Top Bottom
1 2