What sane person moves to Florida?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Only in Florida would boiling peanuts be considered some kind of culinary artform.

It's a southern thing in general, not just Florida. No matter where you go around here, you will at some point run across a crockpot full of peanuts on slow boil.

Sometimes, they put BBQ sauce in with the peanuts. It is a tasty additional treat.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It's a southern thing in general, not just Florida. No matter where you go around here, you will at some point run across a crockpot full of peanuts on slow boil.

Sometimes, they put BBQ sauce in with the peanuts. It is a tasty additional treat.

So are pecan logs. Anyone remember Stuckey's from their travels in the south pre-2000ish?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw your dislike, Alli, and you are WRONG! Boiled peanuts are moderately okay!
Evidently we have different definitions of moderate.
I have been known to buy raw peanuts, boil and eat them.
As an irate student once said to me “is you crazy?!”
Only in Florida would boiling peanuts be considered some kind of culinary artform.
Nope, they’re big in south Alabama and the Mississippi gulf coast too.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Evidently we have different definitions of moderate.

As an irate student once said to me “is you crazy?!”

Nope, they’re big in south Alabama and the Mississippi gulf coast too.
Edamame: good. Boiled peanuts: also good.

Renzatic

Reaction score
So are pecan logs. Anyone remember Stuckey's from their travels in the south pre-2000ish?

Ah, pecan logs. That's how you know when Shriner season has begun.

I never really got to visit Stuckey's before. I've seen a few here and there back in the day, but I've never stopped at one. One thing I do miss around here is Shoney's. I used to love that place when I was a kid.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
To be fair I said "sane person". If anybody is going to move to a different state to avoid mask mandates I would not consider that person sane. But if somebody were to move to a different state specifically because of a difference of opinion over Covid then that new home state would most likely be Florida. I don't think Texas is insane enough to match their level of rage move.

I don't think people usually move to another state for the sake of a specific change in political ambience. It's usually still about "the economy, stupid". So taxes, yeah, but masks, probably not. If you pore through census data on reasons for change of residence, most of it seems related to jobs or perceived financial advantage.

The freedom that Americans have to move to another state does often seem or actually is diminished by lack of enough money to enable going for it without feeling like one is jumping off a cliff, but there are times when it seems logical to try, and pending retirement or job loss is one of those times.

The USA has been and is in a time of relatively high interstate migration due partly to ongoing shrinkage of a lot of blue collar manufacturing, but more of it now can be attributed to the boomers aging out of the workforce (voluntarily or otherwise). To the extent they can or have unburdened themselves of ties like elder care and relatively illiquid assets (a business, a home), many do seem bent on relocation for retirement, mostly in search of lower taxes, less harsh weather, cheaper housing.

Word of mouth from friends and relatives still seems a factor for Americans approaching retirement age. Politics might well be an implicit factor there, and the whole thing about "birds of a feather flocking together" is not without evidence. But to say it was politics that draws the flock somewhere in the first place seems a stretch to me. The charts below were drawn from the census data cited near beginning of this post.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Ah, pecan logs. That's how you know when Shriner season has begun.

I never really got to visit Stuckey's before. I've seen a few here and there back in the day, but I've never stopped at one. One thing I do miss around here is Shoney's. I used to love that place when I was a kid.

Were your Shoney's "Big Boys"? Our started off that way but then dropped the Big Boy and became just Shoney's.

Every Saturday morning when my daughter was young just the two of us hit the local Shoney's breakfast bar. It was our thing. Now they are all almost gone. :cry:

Renzatic

Reaction score
Were your Shoney's "Big Boys"? Our started off that way but then dropped the Big Boy and became just Shoney's.

I don't think so. I don't remember a Big Boys ever being around. Just the Shoney's

Though keep in mind this was in the mid-late 80's, when I was 5-10 years old.

Every Saturday morning when my daughter was young just the two of us hit the local Shoney's breakfast bar. It was our thing. Now they are all almost gone. :cry:

I feel ya, man. My dad and I used to hit up Shoney's every other Sunday morning to do the same thing. It was awesome!

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

I like soy sauce and rice vinegar on dry roasted unsalted peanuts with reheated cooked brown rice sometimes in the morning instead of oatmeal. If I let them be in the microwave a little long it's almost like seasoned boiled peanuts lol.

Renzatic

Reaction score

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I don't think people usually move to another state for the sake of a specific change in political ambience. It's usually still about "the economy, stupid". So taxes, yeah, but masks, probably not. If you pore through census data on reasons for change of residence, most of it seems related to jobs or perceived financial advantage.

The freedom that Americans have to move to another state does often seem or actually is diminished by lack of enough money to enable going for it without feeling like one is jumping off a cliff, but there are times when it seems logical to try, and pending retirement or job loss is one of those times.

The USA has been and is in a time of relatively high interstate migration due partly to ongoing shrinkage of a lot of blue collar manufacturing, but more of it now can be attributed to the boomers aging out of the workforce (voluntarily or otherwise). To the extent they can or have unburdened themselves of ties like elder care and relatively illiquid assets (a business, a home), many do seem bent on relocation for retirement, mostly in search of lower taxes, less harsh weather, cheaper housing.

Word of mouth from friends and relatives still seems a factor for Americans approaching retirement age. Politics might well be an implicit factor there, and the whole thing about "birds of a feather flocking together" is not without evidence. But to say it was politics that draws the flock somewhere in the first place seems a stretch to me. The charts below were drawn from the census data cited near beginning of this post.

Exactly. Nobody is moving to avoid a mask mandate, or because their state doesn’t have a mask mandate. Moving is expensive and time-consuming. Most people live near their families. The main reasons for moving are to get a better job or for family reasons. There are lots of liberal people in Austin TX; they aren’t moving because of Greg Abbott; they need to keep their jobs and/or stay near their families. They will stay and vote for a different leader.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Exactly. Nobody is moving to avoid a mask mandate, or because their state doesn’t have a mask mandate.

You are looking at the mask mandates and the opposition to them solely as mask mandates and not the underlying reasons for them. I agree that very few people will move based on mask mandates, but the political basis for them is a valid reason. For example, there is only one Blue state I would consider moving to; Colorado. But would move to most of the Southeast without question.

For example, I would rather live in a state where the Governor stands up for the people and businesses vs one where the Governor issues decrees ordering mask mandates and shutting businesses down and then goes and violates his/her own orders.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
You are looking at the mask mandates and the opposition to them solely as mask mandates and not the underlying reasons for them. I agree that very few people will move based on mask mandates, but the political basis for them is a valid reason. For example, there is only one Blue state I would consider moving to; Colorado. But would move to most of the Southeast without question.

For example, I would rather live in a state where the Governor stands up for the people and businesses vs one where the Governor issues decrees ordering mask mandates and shutting businesses down and then goes and violates his/her own orders.

What about one where a governor lets his citizens freeze?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
What about one where a governor lets his citizens freeze?
As much as I disliked her, can you really blame Sarah Palin for the climate in Alaska? ;-)

But as to your point: people are NOT leaving Texas because they dislike a senator (such as Cruz as you suggest) or a governor. They are staying because they have jobs and family there. Just like conservatives with jobs in NY are not moving to Florida to avoid senators or governors they dislike. Heck, it’s hard to get people to move out of areas that regularly flood due to hurricanes… so I’m not buying the nonsense that people move because of something as trivial as a mask mandate… especially since zero evidence has been offered up to support even ONE person moving for such a reason,

Last edited:

januarydrive7

Reaction score

Wait, there are people who have opposition to saving people's lives? I can kind of understand the opposition to masks ("they're uncomfortable", "it feels like I can't breath", etc.), but people opposing scientifically verified facts that germs happen to spread, and masking can prevent some of that?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

As far as politics I also mean the (presumed) mentality of the locals. I live in CA and am a bit tired of the mask mandate, but most people are on the same page, even if reluctantly. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where either wearing a mask or not wearing one could lead to some kind of confrontation or comment hurling and not knowing what the policy or mentality is from building to building. I also don't want to live where I would be bombarded with Fox News talking points in a general conversation. I certainly don't want to live where there's a bunch of Trump-supporting signs littering people's front yards.

All that is regardless of what the actual government is or isn't doing there. I don't want my stomach in knots every time I leave the house. I understand that kind of environment might be normal and fine for some people, but it isn't for me.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
As far as politics I also mean the (presumed) mentality of the locals. I live in CA and am a bit tired of the mask mandate, but most people are on the same page, even if reluctantly. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where either wearing a mask or not wearing one could lead to some kind of confrontation or comment hurling and not knowing what the policy or mentality is from building to building. I also don't want to live where I would be bombarded with Fox News talking points in a general conversation. I certainly don't want to live where there's a bunch of Trump-supporting signs littering people's front yards.

All that is regardless of what the actual government is or isn't doing there. I don't want my stomach in knots every time I leave the house. I understand that kind of environment might be normal and fine for some people, but it isn't for me.

We have no mandate and I would guess that maybe 20% of the people out shopping are wearing one, mainly older folks. More at Kroger, fewer at Home Depot. And I have not ever seen anyone confront them for wearing one. Kind of live and let live. If a business wants you to wear one, it is usually clearly displayed on the front door.

As for Trump signs, there are very few. Can't remember the last time I saw one. See a few FJB and LGB's, but they are mainly on the people's vehicles and not in their yards.

I wish you could come visit. I'm not sure where you have gotten your view of how things are in Red states, but mostly things are pretty chill. If you are ever out this way, let me know and I will show you around. I think we would actually get along even though we tend to disagree on some things. :)

Renzatic

Reaction score
As for Trump signs, there are very few. Can't remember the last time I saw one. See a few FJB and LGB's, but they are mainly on the people's vehicles and not in their yards.

There's one guy a couple houses down from me who still has his Trump/Pence 2020 sign up. He refuses to take it down.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have no mandate and I would guess that maybe 20% of the people out shopping are wearing one, mainly older folks. More at Kroger, fewer at Home Depot. And I have not ever seen anyone confront them for wearing one. Kind of live and let live. If a business wants you to wear one, it is usually clearly displayed on the front door.

I wish you could come visit. I'm not sure where you have gotten your view of how things are in Red states, but mostly things are pretty chill. If you are ever out this way, let me know and I will show you around. I think we would actually get along even though we tend to disagree on some things. :)

Yeah, my views are probably fairly skewed and limited by the media, and I wouldn't say it's just the left-wing media (not saying you would either). Even on right-wing media there's no shortage of coverage of unhinged people on the right. The difference is they support the reason they are unhinged and think it's justified. The left sees them more as a zombie horde militia.

Where do you live? I saw some photos you posted in the photo thread. You appear to be more south than I expected. I was thinking you were up in Wisconsin or thereabouts.

I'm sure we could find some common ground. One of my favorite memories was sitting at the bar on a cruise ship and struck up a conversation with a stranger that went into the wee hours of the night, me - Silicon Valley youngish liberal, him - retired Texas oilman. We talked about all kinds of things, including misperceptions, and I don't think it ever went south. :)

Top Bottom
1 2